Quick Update from BKK, and Happy Thanksgiving!

Jim Thorpe

Nov 7, 2002
USA
Roy,

Thanks for the Thanksgiving greeting! Unlike Mudcrab, I guess I didn't know that you could only wish happiness to others of your own nationality. Remember when Nyepi rolls around to exclude him from your greetings! You learn something new culturally everyday....
Our dinner was big and had all the thanksgiving traditions of turkey, mash potatos, ham, cranberries, yams, corn, green beans, sage dressing, beets and assorted other yummy things! I am still stuffed! Oh, don't forget the pumpkin pie!

Glad to hear you are in good health and will continue to harass the others for years to come!

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Jim writes:

Remember when Nyepi rolls around to exclude him from your greetings!

Nah, I won't do that. If I did, I'd miss all the fun watching him scrambling around to find out what Nyepi is! :D

balijeff

Apr 5, 2005
Kuta Beach
Roy,

If I misquoted then indeed I have a problem.

So, let me quote what you did say:

The policy at Bumrungrad is to not sell Tamiflu to anyone without a doctor’s prescription, and of course all the appropriate symptoms of the disease. I was able to meet with the head doctor in charge of infectious diseases at Bumrungrad, Dr. Ardat, (A Fellow at Harvard), and convince him, by describing my village), to part with a modest supply of the drug, (at the “real price” of US $2.00 per capsule). In addition I was able to secure a number of surgical masks, which he contends is the best protection in the event of an outbreak.

Have I misinterpreted that last sentence:

In addition I was able to secure a number of surgical masks, WHICH HE CONTENDS IS THE BEST PROTECTION IN THE EVENT OF AN OUTBREAK.

To me, it sounds like: the best way of preventing being infected with bird flu is to wear this mask in the event of an outbreak.

Am I wrong? Do I need to fire off a correction to Dr Ardat?

Jeffrey

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Jeff, the key words here are:

in the event of an outbreak

If you have been following the CDC (Atlanta) or the WHO predications, the likelihood of the Avian flu mutating to an air borne viral transmission is very high, if not certain.

That is what I am preparing myself and family for.

Yes indeed, and in your own words, you do have a problem. What you wrote to Dr. Asda is completely false, and not my words:

This "patient", whose first name is Roy, recently visited you and has asserted that you emphatically recommended the wearing of N95 or greater masks as the greatest preventative measure against catching bird flu.

The bottom line Jeff is that what I do to protect my family, and to what ends I undertake those endeavors is really NOT YOUR BUSINESS!

Pat

Mar 23, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
Sorry all

looks like the link in my previous post does not work

Here is the article:

Tamiflu-resistant bird flu found in Vietnam

Source: SciDev.Net

Researchers have found a strain of bird flu that can resist Tamiflu, the drug that governments and the World Health Organization are stockpiling in preparation for a widely predicted flu pandemic.

The scientists say health authorities should consider stocking up on more than one anti-flu drug.

The Vietnamese and Japanese researchers, led by Yoshihiro Kawaoka of the University of Tokyo, will publish their findings in Nature on Thursday (20 October).

They isolated the drug-resistant H5N1 virus from a 14-year-old Vietnamese girl.

Most of the virus strains found in her blood were resistant to oseltamivir, the flu drug sold commercially as Tamiflu. This resistance was the result of a single genetic mutation in one of the virus's eight proteins.

"We've been watching for this change [in the virus]," Kawaoka says. "This is the first, but we will see others. There's no question about it."

The researchers acknowledge that their findings are based on a single patient, but say the results suggest, "it might be useful to stockpile zanamivir as well as oseltamivir in the event of an H5N1 influenza pandemic".

It is not the first time flu experts have advised governments to stockpile zanamivir, whose trade name is Relenza (see 'Bird flu: in favour of contingency plans').

In August, Kenneth Tsang and colleagues suggested in The Lancet that H5N1, which has killed 60 people in Asia, would be less likely to become resistant to zanamivir than to oseltamivir.

Kawaoka calls oseltamivir the "first line of defence. It is the drug many countries are stockpiling, and the plan is to rely heavily on it."

It is widely accepted that the global flu pandemic experts have been predicting for more than a year could ensue if H5N1 became able to spread from person to person (see Time to prepare for bird flu pandemic 'running out').

Kawaoka and colleagues say that, as far as they could tell, the Vietnamese patient had no direct contact with poultry. She had, however, taken care of her 21-year-old brother while he was infected with H5N1.

So far, the World Health Organization has not confirmed a single case of H5N1 being transmitted between people.

Last year, researchers suggested that a Thai woman might have been infected with the virus while caring for her infected daughter (see Bird flu deaths raise fears of human spread).

The World Health Organization, however, never confirmed this, or other suspected cases of human-to-human transmission.

[/i]

rien.gluvers

Jun 26, 2004
The Netherlands near Rotterdam
Regarding the misunderstandings about the masks I have asked my general practioner to explain. Se told me this:

For now the virus is only spreading form birds to people end not from people to people. For protection people > people the surgical mask is the one. For birds > people it is different. Infected birds pass on H5N1 through their saliva, nasal secretions, and faeces. People can pick up the virus through direct contact with these excretions or when they have contact with surfaces contaminated with this material in which cases the "dust” mask offers the best protection. Only when a person is near enough to the bird for this animal to “sneeze” or “cough” hem/her in the face it is the surgical mask again.

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
I think I've "got it" where v_dors is coming from. As far a "flame war" (on that topic and on this forum), I don't think it could happen.

Rien, in your post you wrote, that you "asked my general practioner." Sorry to be blunt, but personally I will rely more on the advice of the chief of virology, with two board certifications, a fellow of Harvard, and at the best hospital in all of Asia over a GP any day of the week!

Frankly, I've found many of the responses to my first post on this string to be most surprising and even amusing!