queues at petrol stations

Nakal

Nov 9, 2006
Anywhere
I just heard from some friends there are rumours prices are rising again. Anyone else heard about this?
Obviously petrol stations are pretending they are out of petrol to sell the petrol in their tanks for a higher price.

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
I noticed it tonight for the first time, while heading to Sanur from Ubud for a meeting. The “official” explanation is a technical problem which will be resolved very quickly. I “buy into” that explanation, as the reverse of that coin, if it were otherwise, would spell economic disaster for Indonesia. I was here in Bali during the late 90’s economic crisis, and gas here was plentiful, and cheap.

Indonesia is currently facing some very challenging economic problems. On the other hand, Indonesia is one of the most rich countries in the world when evaluated by natural resources. Factor in the human resource realities, and it’s a no brainer...Indonesia is here to stay, and for the long haul.

If one looked at the housing market in the US just a few weeks ago, one could easily predict an Armageddon of the US economy. I guess Indonesia is easier “game” since after all, it is Indonesia, which is woefully misunderstood.

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
Yesterday, we saw a long queue on the By-Pass Road near Kuta, and saw a service station at Mengwi with no Premium.

Recently, the Jakarta Post had an editorial on the apparaent decision of SBY not to raise fuel prices before the next presidential election. (Megawati did similar when she was president but did not get re-elected.) Since Indonesia imports about 30% of it s requirements, the goverment is subsidizing fuel. I think the budget has been based on as assumption of the world oil price around US$70/barrel - but its been way above that for a while and is unlikely to go down, so its a problem. Politicians have canvassed ideas for limiting the extent of the subsidy - such as a scheme where holder of some "smart card" gets the lower price, while others pay more - but implementation of such a scheme would be daunting.

Could it be that the option we currently see is that they create a shortage which they hope will limit consumption?

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
The proposed “scheme” is more likely to be based on a surcharge for larger (thus considered more luxury) personal transport vehicles whose engines exceed certain limits. The current idea is to surcharge cars with over 2,000 cc engines.

As of this April 1, a similar increase (about 35%) in electric bills became applicable for those whose wattage exceeds 6,200 (or maybe it was 6,400) kilowatts.

Who cannot applaud Indonesia in at least attempting to make up the short falls in revenue by placing more of a burden on those who can most afford it?

Sanurian

Sep 28, 2004
Sanur
A little bit tricky reading this particular thread. Some posts are three or four years old.
I picked out a few comments, nevertheless, which are current (this month and this year).
The bits I've cut and pasted go like this, (still talking about "petrol supplies"...sort of)
...The “official” explanation is a technical problem which will be resolved very quickly...(my emphasis)
I beg to differ. Nothing gets resolved quickly in this country, ever. At least so far.
Moving on, I thought this was interesting:
...Indonesia is one of the most rich countries in the world when evaluated by natural resources. Factor in the human resource realities, and it’s a no brainer...Indonesia is here to stay, and for the long haul...
I wonder what the "human resource realities" encompass? There is no doubt that Indonesia is rich in resources, but it makes one wonder why so many people are still poor or starving here. Maybe corruption's got something to do with it. Pak Suharto's been "exonerated", and the way things are looking, so have the rest of Suharto Inc.
The next quote takes the cake...
...Who cannot applaud Indonesia in at least attempting to make up the short falls in revenue by placing more of a burden on those who can most afford it?...(my emphasis)
Me, for one, but I'm not Indonesian. The "attempting" part is commendable, but it ain't working, unless you haven't noticed. If it pans out in the end like "you" suggest, then I'll clap very loudly.

SO - Where's the petrol?

:roll:

kauaibobby

Oct 27, 2007
santa cruz, california, usa
sorry to here of problems
what ithe price of regular gas in bali now ?
Here in California it is about 40,000 rp around $ 4.00 per gallon.
i figure they go by liter in bali 3 and half liters to a gallon about
Bob

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
“A little bit tricky reading this particular thread. Some posts are three or four years old.”

Phil, this thread was started by Vandor on April 3, 2008...this past Thursday! :roll:

Anyway, I am used to your consummate pessimism and you are used to my endless optimism...so I guess somewhere in the middle is the reality. :lol:

According to the Bali Post, there is some technical problem at the Pertamina terminal which I think is somewhere south of Padangbai near Semarapura. The “word” is that it will be fixed in the next day or two. I’m betting that it will be, but I’ll understand if you decide to go out and buy an electric golf cart to get around. :lol:

Bobby, we’re paying 4,500 Rp per litre, (premium), or about US $1.84 per gallon (using a conversion factor of 3.78 liters to the US gallon, or a little less than one half of what you are paying.

DCC

May 27, 2006
Br Abangan, Tegallelang
Had to read thru the replys here a couple times to pick out what I want to shoot at! :)

There's no gas because there's no gas! There's not one report in the press of a fuel crisis in Indonesia - why make one up?

Not selling what you have in your tanks so you can sell it for more later...?????? - Nakal

Why the broad romantic 'we can make it Indo!' - Roy

Yesterday (n past months) the price of crude was a long way from $70....think the boys in JKT are a little more current - ronb

This is at least the 3rd time I've seen a gas 'crisis' here in as many years, but at 2+ days now, the longest.

Indonesia is not currently having a tough time of it - it has been having it for the last few hundred years. As for modern times - Indo is in a tug of war with other SEA'n countries for China/India trickle down and struggling with the decline of agriculture economies. The IRupiah is, thankfully for us Yanks, tied to the US $ - clearly! Yes Indo is resource rich - but that don't mean a f'n thing on the street! People in Indonesia have been nothing more than commodities to be expoited and there is no evidence to the contrary.

However, it is also one of the most culturally rich locales on the planet and where the dynamics permit a certain magic intoxicates, me at least, with ease. That's what casts a spell on visitors to Bali. Thankfully there are cultural guardians at levels of society.

Control of basic needs - energy - keeps the masses either calm or in arms when they're already living on the edge....that's a hellava lever and JKT is smart enough to know which way to pull it.

Juergen

Apr 5, 2008
The petrol comes down in Surabaya-Java because the Pertamina terminal in Karangasem-Bali has problems. That's why.

froggy

Sep 22, 2006
Houston, Texas
What can I say? Im a genius, they also come in Bali Fauna & Bule green$$$ :mrgreen: ...[attachment=0:zl67s5q9]club 123.JPG[/attachment:zl67s5q9]

Attachments

• club 123.JPG
    club 123.JPG
    29.1 KB · Views: 86

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Look like that would get me to and from Nuri’s very nicely Froggy! :lol: :lol:

Can I get one with a solar panel on the roof?

Sanurian

Sep 28, 2004
Sanur
I just talked with a guy at a petrol station in Sanur. He reckons there's a problem at the Pertamina terminal in Manggis (East Bali). I managed to get some, (Pertamax)...that's the "good" stuff (nearly Rp 9,000/litre). Good for your car, though.

Hopefully, Premium supplies will get back to normal soon. I've never liked buying petrol out of Australian wine flagons, etc. Often clogs one's fuel-line filters.

:mrgreen:

Sanurian

Sep 28, 2004
Sanur
Just an after thought here...
Someone once said that "Optimists look to the past" whilst "Pessimists look to the future".

:idea:

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
So now the price has gone up to Rp6,000 per litre of premium. We first hit it last Saturday. The Pertamina station at the airport was out of gas in the afternoon, but later was back in business at the higher price.

Every day, the fuel price increase has been in the news, and on the front page of the Jakarta Post. It will be interesting to see if the fuss dies down, or if it continues to fester as a political issue.

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
I think for the answer to that question, we’ll have to wait and see how much the fuel hike effects the costs of other goods. IMHO, we haven’t seen anything yet.

froggy

Sep 22, 2006
Houston, Texas
Summer is about here in the U.S demand will be sky high, Hurricane/typhoon season is almost here, if a storm comes in the gulf I can guarantee prices will go up another 25-50% worldwide, Iraq is holding off on signing any HCL oil deals, they (Maliki) are begging and whining to England ,Australia and anyone else for help in getting Article Vii released so that they may have sovereinty back without giving the U.S the lucrative contracts they deserve (not going to happen, the U.S will get what they want). Maliki is under alot of pressure as Elections are coming up........ If Iraq signs the freaking oil deals, the $ will flow and so will more oil, along with added security for the pipelines, The GCC (Gulf Coast Council)will see the impact and will lower prices or step up production in an attemp to show they are still in control, which soon they will not, as the wells in Saudi are already being infused with H20 to get every drop out,,,,, Indonesia will suffer more,, Roys got it right, you aint seen nothing yet..... Maybe a nuclear power plant isnt such a bad idea?

FreoGirl

Dec 21, 2004
Fremantle, Australia
The oil price is not only affected by oil in Iraq. The single biggest factor is demand from India and China as their economies grow and standard of living increase.

Demand by India and China will continue to drive oil prices up world-wide, and it is only going to get worse as eventually as these massive populations start consuming like the western world, there will not be enough oil to go around (or anything much else for that matter).

I read that Indonesia still has the cheapest fuel in SE Asia, even after the latest price hike. The government has no choice - they will go bankrupt trying to subsidise it further.

In Australia the price of a litre of standard unleaded is around $1.60 or Rp14,400, if I strip out the tax on fuel and the GST on the tax & fuel, the price of a litre is around AUD 1.40, or Rp12,600. So obviously the Indonesian government is still massively subsidising fuel.

The days of cheap fuel are over. I don't know how nuclear power would make much difference, unless electricity is generated by burning fuel. How does Indonesia generate electricity?