Pretty amazing - and also scary

Lothar

Nov 16, 2002
Malaysia
Most young Americans can't find Iraq on map

WASHINGTON - Young Americans may soon have to fight a war in Iraq, but most of them cannot even find that country on a map, the National Geographic Society said on Wednesday.

The society survey found that only about one in seven - or 13 per cent - of Americans between the age of 18 and 24, the prime age for soldiers, could find Iraq.

The score was the same for Iran, an Iraqi neighbour.

Although the majority - 58 per cent - of the young Americans surveyed knew that the Taleban and Al-Qaeda were based in Afghanistan, only 17 per cent could find that country on a world map.

A US-led force attacked the Taleban and Al-Qaeda in Afghanistan in October last year, and President George W. Bush has said he is prepared to use force to rid Iraq of any chemical, nuclear or biological weapons programmes.

Thirty-four per cent of young Americans knew that the island used on last season's Survivor television show was located in the South Pacific, but only 30 per cent could locate the state of New Jersey on a map. The Survivor show's location was the Marquesas Islands in the eastern South Pacific.

The survey had 56 geography and current events questions put to young people in nine countries.

The surveyed Americans got a 'D', with an average of 23 correct answers. Mexico ranked last with an average score of 21, just three points from a failing grade. Topping the scoring was Sweden, with an average of 40, followed by Germany and Italy, each with 38.

None of the countries got an 'A', which required average scores of 42 correct answers or better on the 56 questions.

In the world map test, Swedes could find an average of 13 of the 16 countries. Germans and Italians were next with an average of 12 each.

Only 71 per cent of the surveyed Americans could locate the Pacific Ocean on the map.

Worldwide, three in 10 of those surveyed could not locate the ocean correctly.

'If our young people can't find places on a map and lack awareness of current events, how can they understand the world's cultural, economic and natural resource issues that confront us?' said Mr John Fahey, president of the National Geographic Society.

National Geographic was convening an international panel of policy makers and business and media leaders to find ways to improve geography education and to encourage interest in world affairs, the society said. --AP

source: http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/world/ ... 08,00.html?

Bert Vierstra

Nov 5, 2002
Homeless
The society survey found that only about one in seven - or 13 per cent - of Americans between the age of 18 and 24, the prime age for soldiers, could find Iraq.

Their bombs have a higher score.

What does this say about Americans ? More Stupid, more arrogant, self centered or less educated ?

Py said:
See we're not that bad!

hmmmm :D

BTW where's your mug ?

lise

Nov 6, 2002
It's all true. I've come across many people that, when I tell them I'm moving to Bali, have NO IDEA where it is...

Jim Thorpe

Nov 7, 2002
USA
Bert - Boy am I glad that I checked out this forum with your open armed welcome to everyone. I guess since you are the administrator I can come to expect more of this "friendliness" toward all. Thanks for giving me a taste of what to expect on this forum.

Bert Vierstra

Nov 5, 2002
Homeless
Jim Thorpe said:
Bert - Boy am I glad that I checked out this forum with your open armed welcome to everyone. I guess since you are the administrator I can come to expect more of this "friendliness" toward all. Thanks for giving me a taste of what to expect on this forum.

Don't worry Jim, maybe my sense of humor is a little morbid, but looking at your answer, I think we will get along :)

I value Py's contributions very highly, and when I generalize I usually try to make fun.

Jim, Welcome !

BTW where's your mug ?

(p.s. next time I will use a smiley to make things more clear,
actually I will edit my post)

zontius

Welcome

Its a pleasure to have you on board Jim...hope you will enjoy our forum,where you can be free to post as you feel...we are like minded souls,with spirit and intellect and a great sense of humour,I,m sure you will fit in perfectly....best wishes....Gloria....