Open Art Gallery

Dasha

Aug 9, 2006
Mornington Peninsula Melbourne
Not sure what I said last night to get my post pulled... might happen again tonight but who cares. I will say it again.

Removed a reference to Manuel not being real, if people question the identity of someone, they can contact a moderator

InAdelaide

Oct 14, 2004
Australia
Best to come to bali for 6-12 months and observe the place yourself.

anyone with some common sense and CDF can make a living in Bali,

Just do not expect to be hand fed like in the western world, as long as your not to trusting and learn quick.

:roll:

manuel

Aug 7, 2007
Planet Earth
Thanks Guys.

I'll be there in three months.
And stay 1 years.

FreoGirl: I think i will do like this, maybe its the best way to find a job in around Computers.
Thank you very much !

iainsomers

Aug 3, 2006
Houten, The Netherlands
The physist-entrepeneur-connection seems a bit weird to me, but I do know that competition for painters is fierce in bali. There are irritably many art-galleries in bali. Ofcourse one can make a living if you are the best, but if you cant live a wealthy life in Italy (i dont say you cant), I dont think you can make a decent living in Bali as a painter. Costs are lower, but income also and you dont have the connections (I assume).

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
iainsomers,

BaliLife had written

…you're obviously not too much of an entrepreneurial fellow […] you know some people out there actually are able to achieve some things u might percieve (sic) as being difficult

This is in this spirit that I was answering BaliLife's wrong assumption regarding who I am. If he thought that I shied from "difficult" enterprises, I was pointing out that my whole life has been consumed with tackling most difficult problems. According to his definition, I am indeed a most entrepreneurial fellow.

DCC

May 27, 2006
Br Abangan, Tegallelang
OK, I'll put my 2-senseless in.
What Bali does NOT need more of:
(the list is endless, it's a small and crowded island)
(multiplire of 10 for Westerners)
Artists
Designers
Real Estate Agents
Developers
Shop Owners
Web Developers

The supply for all those services far outstrips demand, which you will soon discover upon landing. Therefore to succeed in any these fields (here or anywhere as far as I'm concerned) requires that you know the market, find a niche (one niche is to actually be experienced in your field :)), and fill a need. And that explains how westerners succeed here.

As for painting, I know a few very serious prfessionals, long-time residents, with gallery rep, and they do not have an easy go of it.

As for web designers, I would argue with the person who said there are not enough - there are many, most suck. But many don't and building a site with fine tech guy and a skilled designer. It's gonna be 10+ pgs limited by our imagination and run me $150 including my initial year of searving. That might get an appointment with someone back home - get the picture.

G

As for web designers, I would argue with the person who said there are not enough - there are many, most suck. But many don't and building a site with fine tech guy and a skilled designer. It's gonna be 10+ pgs limited by our imagination and run me $150 including my initial year of searving.
Can you give an example of their work?

manuel

Aug 7, 2007
Planet Earth
DCC Can you explain WHY you think not need web developers?
But try to explain in a objective way ... not just put a list ... when you dont know what to do ..

I think you wrong and much negative .. I found many people on this forum the try to put down each others.

Thanks ......

BaliLife

Mar 27, 2007
Manuel, you're correct regarding people here being fast to slam others, but I think they're trying to help..

Dcc, rgarding too many developers, I know there are a bunch of people in bali who really want to see land development slow, but I know several developers and contractors in bali and they're all doing well at the moment. Let's not blur fact with what we might like to see.. Where you may be correct is that every 2nd person u meet in bali identifies themselves as a 'contractor'.. As though this is a part time hobby, they all suggest they do it on the side.. We met a realtor in bali, who is actually a priest on weekends and a 'contractor' at other times.. Yes I agree guys like that, jack of all trades and masters of none make it seem like there is an oversupply, but whether they can actually do the work is another question.. Just my thoughts..

Ct

DCC

May 27, 2006
Br Abangan, Tegallelang
Wow how can you all read what I wrote and not understand what I said?

Ok and it's been put forth here many many times - either bring your money or bring a needed skill! Because yes there are many jack of all trades many master of none. People who are doing well here generally know well what they are doing!

Manuel - I'm not putting you down, in fact I told you how to succeed here. But It doesn't sound like you've been here before. Get here on the ground and look for yourself and try to avoid (which I know is difficult for anyone) assumtions. It doesn't matter what you persue here - only you can make it happen.

Honestly about the painting. If I travel half way around the world and want to purchase a painting in Bali who do you think I would want the painter to be? I bet I would prefer a Balinese painter and if I have to tell you why then I would advise not to attempt any self employment here. The westerners I know who paint here sell elswhere!

I'm competing in a very crowded field and so far so good - I know my market, clientel, and my business and I can see clearly enough recognize what the needs are. That's also why I came here to begin with - saw potential and need and knew I could serve it. In fact I feel Bali I where made for each other. I realize I'm lucky there. My low threshold with respect for what goes on business wise here is that you could wipe the map of 3/4's of trade geared to westerners and it would not be missed because the need is not organic. I'll leave it at that for now.

Allan, I'll get back to later with exaples - they're not this computer.

DCC

May 27, 2006
Br Abangan, Tegallelang
And Manuel when I took the time recently to provide you with some detailed insight to housing and real estate, what'd I get back?

Adelaide - What's CDF? Hope I have that :).

matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali
Re: RE: Open Art Gallery

DCC said:
Adelaide - What's CDF? Hope I have that :).
  • Cognitive Dimensions Framework?[/*:m:3ocmuol9]
  • Common Data Format?[/*:m:3ocmuol9]
  • Comprehensive Development Framework?[/*:m:3ocmuol9]
  • Complexity Distortion Function?[/*:m:3ocmuol9]
  • Consumer Direct Fulfillment?[/*:m:3ocmuol9]
  • Crash Dump Facility?[/*:m:3ocmuol9]
The mind boggles!

DCC

May 27, 2006
Br Abangan, Tegallelang
Manuel-sorry I though that was clear when I posted on your build or buy topic? I'm home builder.....and a designer, and a real estate investor...cpmetive areas for sure.

And what about you Manuel, Alan asked about your decision to try Bali - that may give others a better perspective in responding to your posts.