ONE MORE 60 day Tourist Visa question...

eagerogre

OK so if I understand everyone on here correctly there would be no problem with getting consecutive 60 day visas (not the extendable 'social' one requiring a sponsor) by simply leaving the country and applying in Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, etc. Is that correct? Is this method any less difficult than applying for the Social Visa? I would assume it is, since you wouldn't have to mess with any agents, right? Wouldn't just just go the consulate and get the thing? What is involved?
In other words, for someone who was planning to stay 6 months, but did not want to have the hassle of messing with sponsors, who didn't mind just getting on the plane and going to get another Visa, this would entail 2 Visa runs within those 6 months, correct?
I'm sure this has been covered but I wasn't able to find a post that covered this question EXACTLY, so I figured better to ask.
Thanks so much... :)

I can't see that there would be a problem with doing this but it would be probably be easier to apply for a Multiple Entry 212 visa which is valid for 12 months.

For this visa, you must leave Indonesia every 60 days, but it's not necessary to reapply for a visa each time.

Well you learn something new everyday. I had no idea that you could get such a multiple entry visa for tourists.

Well done Mats

for someone who was planning to stay 6 months, but did not want to have the hassle of messing with sponsors

It's not really too much of a hassle getting a sponsor and using them to get a visa. Extensions are also pretty easy. If you use an agent you only need to visit immigration once on the 2nd renewal to get pictures and your finger prints taken.

...just getting on the plane and going to get another Visa...
I think 60 day tourist visas can only be processed/issued by an Indonesian "depot" in your own country. I mean "legally".

If that was not the case, why would so many expats keep visa runs alive?

:roll:

Has anybody else seen this? You really couldn't make it up! To stop all the trouble at immigrations they now want to have 2 guys on board every plane to do the tourist visas - yeah sure, that will really help all the bribe taking. Now instead of minutes each the immigrazi guys will have a couple of hours to filch the wannabe tourists. And the best thing is that the visa will be initially for 30 days but freely renewable for another 30 - why not just give everybody 60 day right off? Go figure :lol:

For the full article - read it an weap...

http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2010 ... elers.html

Onboard visa application service on inbound flights from Japan is not a new idea. In the early 1980s, I knew well the #2 man at imigrasi, in Denpasar (this guy from Maluku was the cousin of a friend of mine in LA), and he used to go to Japan often enough for this "exercise." Now, that you mention it, Markit, it never entered my mind as to why Tony never complained about this assignment (!?). After all, he was not exactly a peon at imigrasi... :eek:

Poor Tony got eventually "promoted" to Soekarno-Hatta, and I remember that he was not too happy about it. :cry:

And the best thing is that the visa will be initially for 30 days but freely renewable for another 30 - why not just give everybody 60 day right off?(My emphasis.)
Hmmm.

How does it go again?

"Indonesia: Three steps forward and two backwards?"

Or...

"Indonesia: Two steps forward and three backwards?"

Any expat who believes these two statements are roughly equivalent has either been here too long, not long enough, or both. You know you've been here too long when you realize the footprints on the toilet seat are your own.

The Jakarta Post article is unbelievable, but I believe it.

Maybe eagreogre should forget all about visa runs to the usual places and simply fly to and from Japan on Garuda.

:roll:

As of January.12, 2010, the Visa On Arrival (VOA) fee is US$25./ pax, for a maximum stay of 30 days. The VOA for a 6 day max visit, at US$10./pax, has been discountinued.

Actually, the 60-tourist visa can also be extended, in theory up to six months, just like a social visa.
It actually has the same code as the sixty-day social and business visas - B211. The only difference is that you don't require a sponsor to get it.
A couple of years ago extensions didn't seem to be possible on these non-sponsored 211s, issued to tourists (the word "tourist" does not appear on the visa, by the way).
However, there are no regular reports of people extending these visas at imigrasi offices across the country.
And the great thing is, as the visa is unsponsored, you can extend it anywhere. People have reported doing it in Bali, but naturally, being Bali, have had to pay for the pleasure. People have also reported extending it in Surabaya, Makassar and Ambon, without having to pay. You do, apparently need a "sponsor" for the extensions, but this is simply some local referee...

In theory it can be extended to six months (4 times 30 days, like a social), though things apparently start to get tougher after the second extension

So, OP, you could certainly do what you suggest (I've got two of them in a row, with a quick trip out to Singapore, in the past). But you could also simply try to extend it. I'm pretty sure you'll have no problem extending it at least once, so you could certainly manage six months in Bali with only one visa run...

JohnnyCool - consulates all over the region - KL, Singapore, Penang, Johor Bharu, Bangkok - issue 60-day non-sponsored B211s to tourists. You can get them without recourse to an agent in all those places. Don't think it's "illegal".

...consulates all over the region - KL, Singapore, Penang, Johor Bharu, Bangkok - issue 60-day non-sponsored B211s to tourists. You can get them without recourse to an agent in all those places. Don't think it's "illegal".
I stand corrected.

:D

Woooooaaa there Hos, just a minute.
timdog said:
Actually, the 60-tourist visa can also be extended, in theory up to six months, just like a social visa.
I am often a little simple but as of my last treatment there was no such thing as a 60 day tourist visa - there was a 30 day tourist visa that is now extendible to 60 days OR a 60 day "Social" visa that can be extended 4 times to give 6 months - the famous 211 visa.

I am often a little simple but as of my last treatment there was no such thing as a 60 day tourist visa - there was a 30 day tourist visa that is now extendible to 60 days OR a 60 day "Social" visa that can be extended 4 times to give 6 months - the famous 211 visa.

Wrong - there was a 60 day tourist visa which you could apply for in advance of travel. It used not be possible to extend it but in the last 18 months or so it seems that people on the 60 day tourist visa have been getting it extended. I haven't read the thread on the latest changes so not sure if the 60 day tourist visa is still available but certainly it has been in the past.

visa 211 (60 day visa) is still issued to tourists by Indonesian consulates/embassies. This visa canbe extended 4 times by 1 month, giving the holder a total of 6 month in Indonesia. For the second extension it is necessary to go to immigration for interview, photo and finger printing, and at that point you also need a sponsor, which is not too hard to organise. The fee for each 1 month extension is officially posted in the immigration office as being around Rp400.000. However, the fee you end up paying depends on whether you use a visa agent, and on how "hungry" the immigration official is.

sorry, that's a sticky key on my side; when I wrote:
However, there are no regular reports of people extending these visas at imigrasi offices across the country.
what I meant was there are NOW regular reports...

Markit

Right from the time the 30-day "tourist" visa on arrival was introduced (replacing the old 60-day free arrival stamp) you have been free to apply for a sixty day visa as a tourist. I've had lots of them. They always shared a code with the 60-day social and business visa (both of which I've also had in the past too) - namely B211. The only difference was that you required no sponsor to get it, and in theory, in the past, you couldn't extend it (as it wasn't "sponsored").

Now you CAN, with exactly the same rules applied as those for a "social"; lots of people have done it, though I haven't heard yet of anyone extending a "tourist" B211 up to the full six month limit.
Have a look on various Indonesia-related travel forums for first-hand reports if you don't believe me.
Widder's account sounds spot on - though I'm sure I've read reports of people extending it for free in Surabaya and Ambon. It still exists: I'm on one now.

Sorry if it sounded like I disbelieved anyone on visas!

I have learned that almost anything you say about Indo visas is (or soon will be) true.

More to the point I would love a document in any other language than Indonesian that firmly stipulates what the exact details about all the available visas are and how, exactly, anyone goes about getting them. :roll:

Hey everyone - thanks for all the info on Indo visas.

I just scored a 60-day visa from the consulate here in Ho Chi Minh city. A quick affair. Popped in Tuesday afternoon, visa ready on Thursday. Had I gotten in earlier on Tuesday, perhaps a quicker turnaround. And there are prob visa services in HCMC as well but I didn't check it as I don't mind the legwork. Required: $45 in USD. Copies of my inbound and outbound flight "tickets." (Don't they know anyone can forge this e-ticket shit without a problem?). My outbound is in 4 months - I said I would extend it there. They said this was hard, so I said I would fly to Singapore if it didn't work out. Poof, got the 60 days.

The change in VOA to a 60-day limit is that anyone trying to sort out a 60-day tourist visa beforehand is going to look a little suspect. Sure, the local immigration offices might get swamped (be interesting to find out the turn-around time on the 30 day extension) but it's probably easier than the 2-3 days these things can take.

So anyone getting a tourist visa in advance may appear like they're looking to stay even longer. Or worse, they may discontinue it completely and lose the B211 extension loophole.

Curious anyone's thoughts.

Another question: When extending this B211 "tourist visa" that I have, what sort of restrictions are there? It sounds like I can do it anywhere, but can I do it in say Lombok the first time, then Bali the second, etc, or I must I stay in one spot for further extensions? How far in advance can you extend it? Within a week of expiration? A month? There must be a guideline here....?

I'm moving to Bali so I look forward to meeting everyone!

Peace!

Back