Off on a “walk about.”

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Or, a better title, “an expatriate tourist in Bali.”

As long as I have lived in Bali, one of the most embarrassing things I have to admit is how little of Bali I have seen for myself.

Tomorrow morning, that all changes. My cousin, a Balinese educated in US universities and working on his advanced degrees in anthropology and I are departing on a real Bali “walk about.”

At 8 AM we will embark on a complete loop around Bali with many planned excursions into the inlands. We will travel only by local roads, and even some off road paths. It may take a week, or, it may take two weeks, I personally don’t care as it’s time for me to really explore every nook and cranny of Bali. No e-mail, no forum posting, and likely no TV either, I am really looking forward to something completely different from my day to day routine.

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
I'm back in Ubud already Princess. We stayed at Sunari and had a great time. I wore the Helen Flavel Foundation tee shirt for two days there....ma'af to those who found my essence foul....but I was amazed how many people came up to me to say, "oh, you know Ibu Helen?"

I spent a few hours with Bert, and he really wants to meet you. I don't have to tell you that lots is going on in the Lovina area, so you two getting together is really important. His villa development took my breath away, and after meeting a husband and wife that live there, I was astounded by their understanding and appreciation for Bali, and their work to "give back to Bali what Bali gives."

We spent a lot of time in East Bali, particularly in the Bangle area outside of Amed. The corn harvest this year is a disaster as there has been no rain at all there for too long. The stalks are already dead...burned out well before they could mature and yield corn.

As poor as these people are, and as primitive their living conditions, I was struck to my knees with their noble manners and vigourous approach to life. I heard no complaints at all, nor was I ever asked for anything. Bangle was a real "eye opener" for me....a most amazing part of Bali.

If you have the time, and can find enough of it to come to Ubud....well then you know how much I would enjoy treating you as the Princess you are.

Helen

Oct 15, 2004
Adelaide South Australia
Hi little brother, I leave on the 8th, things are very hectic until the 16th. I have a couple of days "down time" before it gets busy again. I'll hire a driver to take me to Ubud for the day. Be great to see the new business and to catch up with you, Eri and the boys. The days of holidaying in Bali are over for me, I must admit to loving every minute of this work.
I'm really looking forward to meeting Bert at long last, been meaning to for so long. Hey Bert the size of your TV is breathtaking, gotta see that :lol: