Nusa Dua! Advice needed!

godinho

May 31, 2005
Portugal
I’m traveling to Nusa Dua this August for 12 nights in the Melia Bali, and it’s costing me a fortune (I’m officially broke), so I got a little apprehensive when the travel agent said it would cost an extra 390Euro :shock: per person to get half board. My question is, is it worth it?! Is it really that expensive dinning out in Nusa Dua?! And if not, are the restaurants very far from the hotel?! Cause I’m traveling alone with my girlfriend, I’m also worried if it can be dangerous to wonder around at night… is it?!
Well, thanks in advance,

Fernando Godinho

Bert Vierstra

Nov 5, 2002
Homeless
If I calcuclate correctly it would be 65 eur per day extra.

If you hire a car and driver it would be around 30 eur a day, if you stick to cabs its less.

You can eat for 5-15 eur a day... and if you go really local even cheaper. So you can save at least 20 eur a day or more... and you see something of Bali...

Don't do the half board, Nusa Dua is boooooring, spend you extra money on going around....

godinho

May 31, 2005
Portugal
Thanks Bert for the advice!
But are those prices for the car and driver fixed or must I bargain to get to that? And should I tip the driver at the end of the day (for sure)… how much?!
Once again, thanks for the advice,

Fernando Godinho

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Sorry if I'm about to pop some baloons...but why Nusa Dua? Nusa Dua isn't Bali...rather it is an contrived high end tourist "Bali Disney World" that some 15 years ago was nothing more than a barren waste land.

It's a great place for presidents and heads of states to stay, as it is all self contained, thus easy for security, but it ain't Bali...that's for sure.

For the money you will spend, per day, in Nusa Dua, you could enjoy a whole week, in luxury and in the real Bali elsewhere.

Bert Vierstra

Nov 5, 2002
Homeless
He already booked...

Ah, I have been a few times in the Melia, not to stay but to pick people up, it just a big resort style hotel, where they would like to keep you inside, so you spend your money there...

Nice luxurious, no problem, but far from Bali :)

godinho

May 31, 2005
Portugal
Why Nusa Dua… well… it’s an unfortunate necessity for a Portuguese that dreams to travel to Bali these days! You see, tour operators in Portugal only operate directly to Nusa Dua and it’s much cheaper than getting flight only (at least for such a short duration).
But not to worry, I’ll be traveling a lot during those 12 days and I’ll even get to see Lombok (heard it’s also magnificent).
Do you think I’ll find it difficult to find a car with driver in Nusa Dua, or is it better I grab some contacts in the internet before I go?!

Fernando Godinho

Pat

Mar 23, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
Last time I check Nusa Dua was still in Bali and therefore Nusa Dua is part of Bali, as much as Ubud, Amed, Singaraja, Kuta, Jimbaran etc.....
I accept the fact that people have different taste, but saying: Nusa Dua is not Bali, is a bit exaggerated.
Nothing is either black or white.

and now.... a well deserved : That's it !!!!! :D

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
OK Pat...no argument, Nusa Dua is indeed in Bali. So is Disney World in Orlando Florida part in the US. Neither place offers a real experience of the culture of the country they are located in...and for that point, there is little argument.

Nusa Dua is NOT Bali. Disney World is NOT the US. They are both fabricated environments, and nothing more.

Pat

Mar 23, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
Roy

Your are so predictable!!

Definitly no room for argument!

let's just say that for you Nusa Dua is Not Bali and for me Ubud is certainly NOT the only place in Bali.

Have a nice day.

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
So Pat...what do you do in KL? Travel agent perhaps? Commissions are good for Nusa Dua hotels, aren't they? :shock:

The OP, Fernando voiced some real doubts about his upcoming stay in Nusa Dua. It’s pretty sad too that travel agents in Portugal only operate with hotels in Nusa Dua. Is that the way it is in KL? 8)

Sorry if I’m striking some nerves darling, but Nusa Dua ain’t Bali…and the next Balinese I meet that says they are from Nusa Dua will be the first.
:D

By the way, sweet one, I never said Ubud is the "only" place in Bali, but now that you mention it, it surely is one of the best places in Bali...and it ain't no Disney World, that's for sure.

I expect I won't be meeting you at Nuris for a drink anyday soon, eh? :roll:

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Hmmm....geography. Let's see. Nusa Dua. Eight hotels, maybe more now, and two golf courses. Yup, sounds like geography to me! :D

maurits

Oct 10, 2004
Belanda
definately more hotels, roy!

you can say what you want about Nusa Dua, but the developments of the hotels are well-planned, despite the water issue. Thereby there is a minimizing of enivironmental and socio cultural negative impacts.

On the other hand, the mis-planned development in Kuta, I bet you say Kuta is also not Bali?

Therefore the sentence: Pariwisata untuk Bali, bukan Bali untuk pariwisata. (Bali, Michel Picard)

Kuta, Nusa Dua, tourism destinations in Bali, yes! But part of Bali still.

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Well then, let's put this all to simple words.

Unless required to, as in job, no self-respecting expat spends any time in either Nusa Dua or Kuta. :D

Chew on that, and spit something out I can understand. :D

But of course you are right. I don't regard Kuta as any part of the real Bali either...nor does my family...all of them Balinese! :shock:

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Sorry Maurits, but you’ve kind of pissed me off a bit, and it’s not the first time. To quote some gems of yours from previous posts:

“My Dutch is quite OK, my french is quite OK, my German is quite OK, my Spanish is quite OK, my English is quite OK, my Bahasa Indonesia is quite OK, my Japanese is moderate (working on this one) If we are going to brag, I am sure I will win language knowledge...”

And another:

“If you have questions regarding my work, I will be happy to answer them. Mr. Roy, I am still a youngman, and of course I do not have the life experience you already gained in your enriched Balinese existence, thereby I only live in hotels which is not really cultural enriching.”

So you now post from “Belanda” (Holland), and have previously posted that you once lived in Sanur for six months. And you admit that your only living experience in Bali has been in hotels, which you admit, “is not really cultural enriching.”

So, given that your only “Bali” experience has been in hotels, I guess it begs the question…what can you possibly know about the “real” Bali and what position are you in to discuss Nusa Dua or Kuta in the light that an expat may view these places?

As far as Picard goes, you can love him if you want…I personally could care less.

godinho

May 31, 2005
Portugal
Now this is what I call a challenging discussion! :shock:
I have no saying in this, but to say that for me there is no need to block it again Bert… I always appreciate a good argument… :D

Bert Vierstra

Nov 5, 2002
Homeless
Re: RE: Nusa Dua! Advice needed!

Now this is what I call a challenging discussion!

Sorry, if it turns out in mud slinging, and "I know things better then you do" kind of stuff, I'll lock it again.

Don't get personal.

I hope both are wise enough to see both sides of the medal, and give some space to eachother.

maurits

Oct 10, 2004
Belanda
Om suwastiastu Tuan Roy,

No need to be angry. First of all, my 6 months period in Bali I was working in a luxury hotel. During my stay I had the assignment to make a huge competitor analysis of all the hotels, including all Nusa Dua hotels. Also I made analyses about the Nusa Dua development, and next to that the villa market.
So if we talk about hotels and nusa dua I believe I am in the position to say something about that.

And indeed, I post now from Belanda... As I was from March to June 1st in Asia again. Travelling Thailand, China and yes also Bali. Again stayed in hotels... unfortunately....

Coming back to Bali; I believe I have learned many things from Balinese people by working together with them for six months. Of course it is not as in-depth as you, but I believe I know something about it. But I am sure no expert...

But the nice thing about a forum is that many people, can discuss topics with their gained knowledge and they also see subjects from different backgrounds and angles, and this we must respect.

Furthermore I can say, you will hear from me in the near future.

I wish you and your family all the best...

Om santi santi santi om,

Maurits

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Maurits, I have little doubt that your expertise with five star hotels, in what is otherwise regarded as Bali wasteland is without your belief that you’ve been to Bali.

There is very little point in my continuing to argue my points. It’s pretty obvious that you’ve never experienced Bali beyond Nusa Dua or Kuta. That’s too bad, as you’ve never experienced the “real Bali.”

You write:

"Furthermore I can say, you will hear from me in the near future."

That’s fine, but don’t expect a change in my opinion, forged from many years calling Bali, “home.”

Sergio

Dec 6, 2004
Ottawa, Canada
Ha ha ha !!!

How what Roy has said can even have developed into an argument is beyond me... it is SO simple SO clear SO obvious AND STILL you two don't get it... WOW! Roy's posts can be very deep and intellectual at times BUT THIS???? Come on you two... lol, you make me laugh.

Kuta and Nusa Dua are just fine for what they are and will always cater to tourism, but to say that they portray the " Real Bali " is laughable!!!! Unless... yes of course, tourism is the real Bali... hum... how foolish of me... ha ha ha... and here I though Bali was something more *MUCH MORE* then that.

Well no sweat off my back, continue to enjoy YOUR fabrication of Bali on your next visit.

P.S. don't forget to go on the Bali Sling Shot!... ha ha ha