No KITAS needed anymore for children?

patatje

Nov 30, 2004
belgium, semarang, bali.....
Hello,
My wife heard that some things are going to change when a mixed couple (Indonesian wife-western man) live in Indonesia. If I'm right, at the moment, you still need a KITAS for your children too. After the change (?) only the western man needs a KITAS. Did anybody heard this too. Or is it wishfull thinking? And what kind of visa do the children need than?

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Yes, what you have heard is correct, however you need to understand that in order to avoid any further visa requirements for your children, their nationality needs to be changed from that of the father to Indonesian. Also, keep in mind that Indonesia does not allow dual citizenship, therefore the children will no longer have the father’s nationality.

At age six, we change our boys from Kitas to Kitab, (or is it Kitap?)...anyway, this is good for five years, but it costs Rp 12 million...ouch!

Kids with Indonesians are expensive, particularly when you include the costs of education. For Eri and I, our three boys represent the highest monthly living costs we incur. Of course it is all worth it.

I highly suggest you consult with a professional before making any changes. We have used PT Bali Ide for many years and can highly recommend them. Using a pro has many advantages, especially when one considers how visa regulations can change over here without warning, as with the recent change in the multiple entry business visa, which caught a number of expats by surprise.

drbruce

Feb 12, 2004
singaraja, bali
cyberbali.com
Hey Roy,

I thought that kids were going to be allowed to have both until they reached 18 at which time they were going to have to change. So did I misinterpret this. We called Bali Ide, who we've used since 98, right after the announcement a few months ago, but they didn't have any news then. Has this all been sorted out as far as you know?

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Hey Doc...by "both", you mean citizenship? I don't think so, but I would love to be wrong on this...oh boy...I would REALLY love it as I calculate huge sums of money spent on this bloody paper work until our boys are 18...or is it 17?

Bali Ide says the "regs" are not yet completed to effect this new bill...so, keep your fingers crossed....and do as my wife, which is an extra offering every day! :p

neilf

Jul 22, 2005
Perth, Australia
Hi Roy,

Can you please forward me an email address or website for Pt Bali Ide? I would like to contact them to get further information.

Thanks.

neilf

Jul 22, 2005
Perth, Australia
Roy,

I forgot to mention that my wife and i will be returning to bali at the end of 2007 to live again. My wife is indonesian and my 3 children were born in Indonesia.

We will want to put our kids in school in Bali. I understand that there are international schools there. Can you recomend one? And do you know the costs?

Regards,

Neil

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Hi Neil! Where in Bali will they be living? Most of the International schools are located in Sanur or Denpasar, but there are a few other international "like" schools which in other areas that are good as well.

neilf

Jul 22, 2005
Perth, Australia
To be honest i am not sure what are we will be living, but we would just like a general idea of what it cost per term and for a total year. Just trying to work out what we require when we arrive.

drbruce

Feb 12, 2004
singaraja, bali
cyberbali.com
Well, the news the other day was very encouraging with the granting of passports to 13 kids from mixed marriages. We called Bali IDE yesterday about it, but they told us that the paperwork hadn't reached Bali yet. Anyone heard any other news about this?

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Doc, that is great news. Where did you read/hear about it? Eri will be talking to Bali Ide on Monday and with luck they may have more news. Were these kids all in Jakarta? Sorry for all the questions.

Sanurian

Sep 28, 2004
Sanur
Chances are that by now, we all know a little bit more about what's going on with the new Indonesian citizens law permitting dual nationality for foreign national children with one Indonesian parent. Some parts of it still seem a little murky to me, but as far as I can tell, it's definitely on.

An article in The Jakarta Post (22 November 2006), reported 13 such children in Jakarta being granted their dual citizenships. The same article stated that: "Those wishing for their children to have Indonesian citizenship must register at local justice offices."

Another article in the current edition of The Bali Advertiser (22 November-06 December) from Jane Raniati's Nom de Plume column, gives some more detailed information regarding the steps she's been taking here in Bali. She has the application form and has offered to e-mail a copy to anybody interested. email: info@baliadvertizer.biz

Alternately, as far as she knows, the form can be got from Kantor Wilayah Departemen Hukum dan HAM Bali in Renon (Jl. Raya Puputan Niti Mandala...a few buildings past Telkom). Two officials in the Hukum (Law) section dealing with this are I Putu Gede Subagia, SH and Desak Ketut Tirtha, SH. The office telephone is (0361) 228 718

I have no information about how much the total process actually costs. Jane Ratiati states in her article that:

"...in this new law there are stipulations that any government official who (through negligence, or intentionally) causes you to lose your right to get Indonesian citizenship can be punished by jail for 1 to 3 years, respectively..."

I hope this "information" helps all those involved and that we all find out the complete, unadulterated details as soon as possible, especially as it pertains to those of us living in Bali.
:roll:

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Phil, many thanks amigo. Eri will be calling them tomorrow but they may be closed all week for Galungan. I promise to share our experience with all of this for our three little guys. Very uselful information Phil, and again, many thanks!

Sanurian

Sep 28, 2004
Sanur
You're right, Roy, regarding that email address (I think).

I might have tapped an American spell-checker in my current browser (Firefox 2), or it did it itself. Not sure.

It's been another blisteringly hot day in Sanur...I've only had three or four beers plus a couple of "Irish coffees", so far. Might reach for some of my Singaraja arak, just to balance things out. That same browser spell-checker reckons I should spell "Sanur" as "Saner". Maybe it thinks I'm crazy. Maybe it's right. And who knows...maybe I will be more sane tomorrow? I'm working on it.

:wink:

drbruce

Feb 12, 2004
singaraja, bali
cyberbali.com
Phil,

What is Singaraja arak? During my arak drinking days in Singaraja, we used to bring the stuff in from Karangasam. And thanks for the extra info.

Looking forward to see what you hear Roy. My wife is really excited about this as the future of the kids, should I die suddenly, has always been a source of concern for her. If we can get them Indonesian passports that will be one thing less to worry about. Then all we'll need is water here in Sumbawa.

Bert Vierstra

Nov 5, 2002
Homeless
Gwan Gwan Ho, its the Singaraja Arak, most people refer to it as GGH. I think its the most famous Arak in Bali.

(Besides the illegal brewed stuff)