New to the Forum TEFL

MH_1971X

Jun 18, 2007
UK
RE: Moving to Bali?

Hi all :)

I hope to be moving to Bali in the next few months. My Uncle has lived there for over 20 years and runs a charity (EBPP - East Bali Poverty Project). He invited me to join him because my life here in the UK has been on a down for the past year (but that's besides the point).

I plan to do a TEFL(Teaching English as a Foreign Languge) course in Denpasar first which should be a bonus if I want to find work.
I have approximately £10,000 in savings to get by on, but my uncle assures me that it is possible to live reasonably comfortably on 5-10 million rp a month.

What do you guys think?

The last time I was here was about 10 years ago when I came for a vacation. I had an amazing time, the locals were all incredibly friendly, and it has been my dream to re-locate here ever since :)

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
What kind of visa are you coming on? A lot of your answers will depend on this. To get a job for example you need a work permit. No so easy. Tourist visa is not renewable and a sosail visa will only last up to six months and then you have to leave. You also cannot work on any of them except a work visa.

I think you need to have a good look around previous emails (tip do a search on visa's) and then come back. Otherwise welcome to the dream :)

MH_1971X

Jun 18, 2007
UK
Hi,

I'm not sure about the visa - I assume its a tourist or social visa as I will be undertaking an educational course first before applying for teaching jobs :)

I think the school (IALF) organises all the visa stuff.

InAdelaide

Oct 14, 2004
Australia
Hi when I was in Australia my kids lived on much less than that a month, just copy the Aussie style.... here is how they do it ..

1.they lived in my house
2.drunk my beer
3.ate my food
4.borrowed my car
5.used my mobile for outgoing calls
6.always ask for a few dollars (saved for partying)

It took me about 5 years to workout what was going on.

Invest the 8,000 for 5 years at high interest, keep 2,000 for spending ...(you will have to spend your own money sometimes )

Good Luck

Sanurian

Sep 28, 2004
Sanur
Hi, MH_1971X

...My Uncle has lived there for over 20 years and runs a charity (EBPP - East Bali Poverty Project)...

If that's the case, I'm surprised you're not asking him for more information, especially if, as you say, he's encouraging you to come to Bali in the first place to help you get out of the life-rut you say you're in.

I personally admire EBPP's projects...have done for years. Talk to him.

8)

MH_1971X

Jun 18, 2007
UK
Re: RE: New to the Forum TEFL

Sanurian said:
Hi, MH_1971X

...My Uncle has lived there for over 20 years and runs a charity (EBPP - East Bali Poverty Project)...

If that's the case, I'm surprised you're not asking him for more information, especially if, as you say, he's encouraging you to come to Bali in the first place to help you get out of the life-rut you say you're in.

I personally admire EBPP's projects...have done for years. Talk to him.

8)

Hi,
I am in contact with my Uncle all the time as he is indeed my main sourse of info - I visit these forums to get a more rounded view of life in Bali :)