Natural rattan - manufacturing & importing to UK

Nicola Doherty

Feb 28, 2018
Hi all,

Looking for some local advice!

I'm wanting to come to Bali to check out the rattan furniture (natural, not synthetic). Plan is to get it custom made then shipped back the UK to sell commercially.

Does anyone have any advice on the below?

• What area should I be looking into? I've heard East Java has a lot of workshops?
  • Does anyone know of any specific shops or workspaces which are excellent quality? I'd like to get rough prices before making the journey.
  • Has anyone used a great local fixer for anything before who could act as an agent for me?

Thanks! xx

mugwump

Mar 15, 2011
seattle pekutatan
Hi all,

I'm wanting to come to Bali to check out the rattan furniture (natural, not synthetic). Plan is to get it custom made then shipped back the UK to sell commercially.

• What area should I be looking into? I've heard East Java has a lot of workshops?
  • Does anyone know of any specific shops or workspaces which are excellent quality? I'd like to get rough prices before making the journey.
  • Has anyone used a great local fixer for anything before who could act as an agent for me?

Thanks! xx
As a former exporter of Indonesian goods can state that although numerous areas produce rattan, realize that first you must do your homework with UK Customs and learn what they require. Secondly learn a bit about insect infestation on your own.
The area near Malang in East Jawa produces rattan and is not far from Surabaya where you may readily ship by container to the UK. Plan to spend time investigating and comparing product samples. Nothing duplicates seeing and feeling the goods. Another asset of Malang is its proximity to Batu a higher thus cooler place to reside at reasonable prices although considered a resort.
It is difficult to make recommendations about brokers and particular producers other than doing all the homework you can and note the qualities sought. Rough prices are a relative thing. Suffice it to say that you need to research THE MARKET available to you! No matter how much you may adore something personally it must be marketable in your locale.
Learn what rattan sells for and consider your shipping, storage and travel costs then compare and see if you can profit.

Nicola Doherty

Feb 28, 2018
As a former exporter of Indonesian goods can state that although numerous areas produce rattan, realize that first you must do your homework with UK Customs and learn what they require. Secondly learn a bit about insect infestation on your own.
The area near Malang in East Jawa produces rattan and is not far from Surabaya where you may readily ship by container to the UK. Plan to spend time investigating and comparing product samples. Nothing duplicates seeing and feeling the goods. Another asset of Malang is its proximity to Batu a higher thus cooler place to reside at reasonable prices although considered a resort.
It is difficult to make recommendations about brokers and particular producers other than doing all the homework you can and note the qualities sought. Rough prices are a relative thing. Suffice it to say that you need to research THE MARKET available to you! No matter how much you may adore something personally it must be marketable in your locale.
Learn what rattan sells for and consider your shipping, storage and travel costs then compare and see if you can profit.

aprijati

Feb 4, 2022
Hi all,

Thanks! xx

Hi Nicole, I saw this in 2022. I can help you, I can be your rattan agent, but this rattan comes from Central Java
Coincidentally, I'm looking for a buyer. if you want to order from me, you can email me in Apriaprel@gmail.com