My name is Kim

Kimbar

Jun 30, 2007
Bunbury West Australia
Hi all,
I'm new to the forum, so just a few details about us.
My name is Kim & my wife is Barb & both 60. We have been to Bali 40+ times over the last 20 years. These days we only stay at Puri Santrian in Sanur but within the next 3-4 years are hoping to make the "big jump" into becoming a "real expat"
The main reason in joining this forum is to pick everone's brains ( so expect sone questions) :)
Were from Bunbury West Australia.
CU SOON
Kim.

Ipanema

Aug 19, 2004
Welecome Kim, hopefully I may aslo retire in Bali in the next few years. It will be an interesting adventure to go from tourist to ex pat.

Tina[/code]

Jay Elle

Mar 3, 2006
Italy
Hallo Kim , am so glad you mentioned your age ! Being in my 60's I thought I must be the oldest member.Good to know I'm not alone !!!
Jay Elle.

JUDY

May 11, 2007
seattle wa campuhan bali
Remember ladies there is no such thing as age only relatively speaking. Its all in the mind. When I began selling health, life, annuities, disability, nursing care and home health care insurance I was in my late 20's. I met people who were in the age range of their early 20's till late 90's. I found surprisingly some people in their 80's and 90's were more hip (also spelled hap) when it came to alternative methods of medical treatment, philosophy, etc., monochromatic light therapy, acupuncture, chiropractic, etc etc etc. I changed my perspective right then and there. Age is an illusion. Keeping the mind active, open, and the soul constantly moving forward makes all humans truly young at heart and mind.

Soo ladies big deal you are in your 60's!!!! People in their 80's and 90's think you all are just "young whip=er=snappers". Old saying in english.

60's are young---think of when you are strolling the beach in Bali when you are l00. Maybe then you can say, "I'm getting up there. Whereever there is". :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kimbar

Jun 30, 2007
Bunbury West Australia
Re: RE: My name is Kim

fordprefect said:
Hey Kimbar! Welcome to the forum! Hope all is well with you and yours over there.

There's lots of info here and lots of helpful friendly people too.

-regards,
-the yank

Hi, Arthur,

Good to catch again. When your next trip?

Kim.

jogry blok

Sep 28, 2005
Dencarick
Hi Kim. Welcome to the forum. I can recommend retiring in Bali, Neil and I (79-74) are here 3 years. We just love it.!! The last place we lived was in a retirement village in Bargara-Qld.Aus. It was like a prison.
I think neil and I are the oldest in this forum

FreoGirl

Dec 21, 2004
Fremantle, Australia
Hi Jogry

I was wondering how you handle health issues living in Bali in your senior years? (if you don't mind me asking) :wink:

My parents are around your age, and while they are really healthy, they still need a bit more 'maintenance' than when they were younger, so they go to the doctor more often, the dentist, the chiropractor, etc etc. I expect I will be the same :(

I will be retiring in Bali (or Lombok - not decided yet), and it is something that I wonder about.

Freo

fordprefect

Jun 7, 2007
Groover Beach, California, USA
Re: RE: My name is Kim

Kimbar said:
fordprefect said:
Hey Kimbar! Welcome to the forum! Hope all is well with you and yours over there.

There's lots of info here and lots of helpful friendly people too.

-regards,
-the yank

Hi, Arthur,

Good to catch again. When your next trip?

Kim.
Hmph.

We were just talking about that last night, actually.

Doesn't look good until 2010....

<sounds of sobbing from the corner>

20th wedd. anniv./renew our vows & have to get the son graduated from high school/on his way out the door (oops, I mean college).

-oh, and a note on the age/medical health front (as if you want reminding of that) we're in our mid 50s and our insurance includes medevac if necessary. You may want to include such a clause in yours if not already present. We usually don't think much about that other than which pills to not forget to bring...

jogry blok

Sep 28, 2005
Dencarick
Hi Kim, to answer your question, we hardly see a doctor. I am even surprised about this, in australia I visited the doctor a lot more. I think, it is because the relaxed lifestyle we are having, also the household help, which we could not afford in Australia. We are utterly spoiled by our staff here. We live as Royals in Paradise. I have visited the Dentist (who is better qualified and much cheaper than our dentist in Aussie) We do not have to come for our regular checks like in Aussie, but if we do have a problem.Bert knows our Dentist too. A chiropractor I never visited in Australia, I do not believe in this kind of treatment.Our hospital here is first class, even my friends who visited from Australia, could not believe to see such clean wards et.etc.For my fibromyalgia and rheuma I take a local herb medicin, which takes all the pain away and cost me 2500 rupias per packet.
Retirement in Bali is marvellous!! I can recommend it!!

Sanurian

Sep 28, 2004
Sanur
Hi Kim (and Barb)

A big welcome from me to both of you for joining this forum!
I might be a bit biased but I believe you should be able to glean quite a lot of useful information from here.
You've been in Bali many times in the past so I assume you have a very reasonable idea of how things are.

...but within the next 3-4 years are hoping to make the "big jump" into becoming a "real expat"...
Why wait that long? I can only guess that you're both besotted with Bali already - maybe "besotted" is the wrong word.
Maybe you're addicted! If that's the case, get here as soon as you can for your permanent "fix", so to speak.

Medical and health insurance issues can be sorted out in Bali (or via the internet). But if you feel more comfortable doing those things in Australia, that's the way to go.

I've forgotten exactly how long I've been living in Indonesia. Probably ten years non-stop by now. By the way - I'm 60, too. Don't let my avatar fool you (that's me, many years ago, in Thailand).

And please don't take this the wrong way but I couldn't help myself thinking of Ken & Barbie. I guess you get that a lot.

Best wishes and bring on the questions.
:D

Kimbar

Jun 30, 2007
Bunbury West Australia
Ok, a few questions, & I realise that they are opened ended.
1) If we buy into a villa within a complex what are the on going costs?
2) I would love any feed back regarding villa’s from members (available rent/buy) in the Sanur area, as this our preferred choice of area.
3) What is the predicted upside of the market over the next few years if we buy? (Will we get our $$ back?)
4) Would you buy or lease?
5) One thing I would need is a stable internet connection as I trade the currency markets. ( don’t have to be fast just stable)
6) Would you buy into a complex, any other suggestions?

We are coming over in October to check out the possibilities.

jogry blok

Sep 28, 2005
Dencarick
I made a mistake, my answer was for Freo not Kim.
Hope you get an idea. do not wait too long to come to Bali, prices of houses are going up too.

Sanurian

Sep 28, 2004
Sanur
Yes, your questions, Kimbar, are very open-ended.

I suggest two things:
1: Do a search through this site's archives.
2: Have a look at The Bali Advertiser's site, particularly within the "regular columns" areas (like "Money Matters"). The link is:
http://www.baliadvertiser.biz/

...5) One thing I would need is a stable internet connection as I trade the currency markets. ( don’t have to be fast just stable)...

They are available in Ubud right now. I guess you'd want your own, at home.
I know for sure that Centrin is available - not sure about all the others like Indosat, Telkom, etc.
And by the time you come back in October, there might be more options. Best to check 'em out when you're here.

:wink:

ladychiro

May 8, 2010
Remember ladies there is no such thing as age only relatively speaking. Its all in the mind. When I began selling health, life, annuities, disability, nursing care and home health care insurance I was in my late 20's. I met people who were in the age range of their early 20's till late 90's. I found surprisingly some people in their 80's and 90's were more hip (also spelled hap) when it came to alternative methods of medical treatment, philosophy, etc., monochromatic light therapy, acupuncture, chiropractic, etc etc etc. I changed my perspective right then and there. Age is an illusion. Keeping the mind active, open, and the soul constantly moving forward makes all humans truly young at heart and mind.

Soo ladies big deal you are in your 60's!!!! People in their 80's and 90's think you all are just "young whip=er=snappers". Old saying in english.

60's are young---think of when you are strolling the beach in Bali when you are l00. Maybe then you can say, "I'm getting up there. Wherever there is". :lol: :lol: :lol:

Age is not a thing to refrain you from doing several things, most people will criticize you with the things that you do regarding your age but who cares about that besides you can't please everybody