MY FIRST POST ABOUT FAST BROADBAND

possum

Jun 4, 2009
Have had most of my queries answered by reading this forum so thank you all ,am going to Bali Sept but first to my son and new daughter in law on Lombok for short stay am very excited, want to know plse will SKYPE work on Lombok ? have just bought a webcam solely so I can stay in touch with my daughter and gdaughter back home, plan to live in Ubud by myself so it will be important for me to have this contact,thanks in advance. :)

mimpimanis

Nov 4, 2003
Kuta, Lombok
www.mimpimanis.com
Where on Lombok will you be based? The internet options there are not as good as in Bali. Certainly down in Kuta there is nothing we would consider broadband and I doubt skype would work. I did hear of broadband at one BTN close to Senggigi so if you are in that area you will have a better chance.

DorisDazed

Apr 3, 2009
As mimpimanis said, the answer to your question about trying to use Skype from Lombok depends on the location.

I imagine that there are internet connections available in the Senggigi area and places like Gili Trawanggan, Mataram, that can handle Skype calls. (I say "imagine" because I haven't been there for several years.)

Good luck, in any case.

:D

milan

Mar 20, 2008
Try to get the Indovision's mobile connect usb which costs US 100 and insert the local sim card on any amount of credit availabe and connect. Follow the instruction to install it and from there you can have the Internet connection, followed with Skype once you are connected.
If you have a blackberry or iPhone, get the local configurations for the set and insert the local sim card once again.
Hope this helps even if it's just a clue on how it could be done.

possum

Jun 4, 2009
Thank you all ,will be staying in Kuta on Lombok,will look into Indovision re sim card and hope that works what about Ubud for Skype same deal or is broadband too slow ? thanks again. :lol:

mimpimanis

Nov 4, 2003
Kuta, Lombok
www.mimpimanis.com
Possum, I doubt you will be able to use Skype on any service in Kuta. The fastest net there is in Novotel and they call it broadband but it isnt broadband as we know it. The charge Rp1000 per minute. Most places charge rp500 per minute and are really slow and frequently disconnect. I know you are after your own service but that gives you an idea of what service is available in the area.

TJUK

Aug 10, 2009
Isn't satellite based communication available regardless of location? Or does a local service provider need to be involved?

DorisDazed

Apr 3, 2009
Isn't satellite based communication available regardless of location? Or does a local service provider need to be involved?
There are many satellites in space these days. Their orbits determine which areas of the globe they cover. Launching satellites is very expensive. Different companies pay rent to provide their customers with satellite internet services.

There are different kinds of satellite broadband services and they are not all equal. For example, "one-way satellite broadband" often means you use a "normal" internet connection, (any kind), from your location which sends a "request" for what you want to access\download to the internet satellite provider. It beams the request at high speed to the satellite which then transmits the data directly to your antenna\modem\computer. The speed you get depends on what you're prepared to pay for.

It should be obvious that one-way broadband is cheaper than two-way.

:wink:

andymoreno

Sep 6, 2009
Hi there,

Where would you all say is the best place to get fast internet connections on Bali then? And what are the options there? Does the USB-SIM whatsit work better there? I've read a bit about GlobalXtreme and their Wifi-Lan offering but that seems like a quite permanent installation...

Does anyone have any experience with GlobalXtreme or BlueLine? How long does it take to get installed? Do you have to get a 12 month contract or does it run monthly?

Many thanks and best regards,
/Andy

calitobali

Jul 10, 2008
I have Global Xtreme, and no real complaints.

They should set it up within the week, and there is no contract. I have the 384k package and it is sufficient for browsing and light downloading.

calitobali

Jul 10, 2008
for the 384k I pay rp 700,000 per month. There is a set up fee of 1.5 million, and I have heard that they raised it to 2 million, but I don't know whether or not that is really true.

Like Mimpi, if I have a problem, they are usually pretty good on sending someone out.

FlaDiver

Jan 19, 2010
Hello -

First time posting here. I'll be staying in Bali for 2 months starting in Feb. '10. Would like to use my laptop to work from there. I want to be able to make phone calls [Skype?] and do light surfing of the internet.

There are two potential problems I see. The house I'm renting does not have a land line, and I would have to work in the middle of the night so I can be available during business hours in California [roughly midnight to about 8 am]. So internet cafe's are out.

Is there a sim card that would work in a new laptop that would allow me the bandwidth to be able to speak through Skype and surf the web at the same time? I thought technology had caught up to this, but what I saw last year may have bee wi-fi and not using a system like 3G or 4G.

Any suggestions? The house is in the Legian/Seminyak area, though perhaps out toward Canggu [I haven't been there yet].

Thanks,

- Michael, the Florida Diver

lumumba

Sep 17, 2008
Bandung-Bali-Jakarta
Ok, I don’t really need a super fast internet connection and I only do light surfing, well most of the times. but I can guarantee you that I do anything with this type of connection.

5 months ago I got a new modem from Indosat: broadband 3.5G.
I put my sim card inside (my Hp card), cable it up to the USB port and I get connected to internet.

You have 2 choices:

1 You can connect in durasi mode; pay by the minutes (without connecting through 3.5G)

2 By download (MB) through 3.5G

First one, speed @ 236.8Kbps and you can buy pulsa @ 6.000 (5.000 credit) (GPRS pulsa). You can only buy no more than 6.000 at any given time and you must use it within 5 days.

You can add more pulsa the following day and will give you 5 days starting from that day. This works out @ 1.200 x hrs, very cheap indeed.
Or you can use you phone pulsa but it will cost you 6.000 x hrs. (Same speed)

It is ok for me and most of the time it is fast. I do not use Skype but you should be able to do it, I don’t see why not.
I can guarantee you that I do anything with this type of connection. Last months I downloaded a new version of Norton Antivirus in less than 35 minutes.
Regarding 3.5G connection I never use it, so I can’t help you on this.
Regards

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Hi Mike, where you are on Bali the world (www) is pretty much your oyster in terms of internet connectivity. Banish any ideas you may have about speed but all the Bali ISPs supply your area. Now as to quality if you look back here in the archives you will see that that is also a moving target.

So from my researches it's seems to be pretty much Indosat or Speedy that will give you the best speeds and dependability.

Have said that in Candi Dasa where I am it's very limited still.

Others in your area will chime in I'm sure :lol:

Hope you enjoy your stay.

Markit