My dad has gone

spitfire

May 7, 2005
Jimbaran
I didn't want to hijack Jimbo's post about going to Bali http://www.bali-information.com/expat_forum/viewtopic.php?t=17395, but feel the need to share my experience about loosing a parent while living on the other side of our planet.

Many (western) people I meet in Europe or Bali have a desire to move to Bali or abroad nowadays. But a lot of them are kept by a secure life and job or a close circle of relatives and friends. This has been our case as well.

I remember myself explaining to people that we couldn't wait until my parents had died to pursue our dream (my wife's parents have passed away already). Our decision hurt my parents and our best friends a lot, but they knew we needed to go and it has not influenced our true friendship.

My relationship with my parents has always been higher than Mount Agung. And that gave me a feeling of guilt as stated in the other post. The replies there helped me a lot upon arrival in Holland. What happened last week has been a roller coaster ride... Lots of ups and downs, with a good feeling afterwards in another sense.

My parents have been to Bali and Asia many times, but have spent their yearly winterperiod in Bali from last January to April in Bali for the first time since we live there/here. Despite the long distance contact we had had in the 1,5 years before their arrival, they were still concerned to see if we were doing ok (as parents do). And although there were no leased Volvo's or executive meetings present, they realised that my personal and family life had gained in quality a lot. That made me so happy.

In the last weeks of their stay, my father became ill up to the point that he became a regular customer at BIMC and hospitals in Denpasar who have MRI scans etc. They found a serious thread around his kidneys and advised him to immediately have it checked upon his return to Holland (within 1 week at that time).

It went too fast, and to make a long story short. I took a plane and arrived last week. I couldn't be more thankful for the way it has gone. I have spent a week in hospital and supporting my mother and sister (vice versa). I have been able to say the things that I have always been to macho to say to my dad. I have been able to help to urge the doctors to end his life as was his desire since he was taken to intensive care yesterday.

This afternoon he died. And I must say it's not easy to have to decide the moment to take off the oxigen and medication and wait until the monitor shows zero's...

However, I feel fortunate in a way, because of our time in my life with him, in Bali and last week. It was like running marathons each day mentally, but we made the finish. I feel that I can continue my life in Bali or any place in the future without any scrupulous.

My mother will come to visit for sure and we'll have a dinner at Jimbaran beach to remember him.

manc in oz

Nov 29, 2006
Gold Coast Australia
I'm very sorry to hear about your loss spitfire. I also lost a parent almost 2yrs ago. It's very difficult when you choose to live your life so far away from them. it's great that you were able to be with him before he passed away.

JUDY

May 11, 2007
seattle wa campuhan bali
Although I am new to the forum my instinct was to respond by saying how sorry I am to hear of your father's passing. My mother was diagnosed last Sept. 2006 with terminal cancer of the ovaries. Since I was in the States I had the opportunity to call her 24/7 once she was out of critical condition. Each moment of every day for the next 5 months or so I thought thank God I can call her and just talk. I'm going to see her in a few weeks and I fear it will be the last time.....

Everything you said I can relate to; and although you could not be there initially when you found out about his condition; you did have the miracle of being able to return to see him and spend those last precious moments to lock in your memory.

I hope I did not say to much or offended you in any way. My mothers illness has brought all those feelings to the forefront.

I will pray for you and your family.

jogry blok

Sep 28, 2005
Dencarick
So sorry to hear about the loss of your father. I am happy for you that you had the time to talk to him.
Neil and I are in another situation. We are the parents who left their only daughter(married to a very nice man, grandson Stewart) in New Zealand. As far as we know now, we are not planning to go back. We love our live here in Bali, we have lots of contacts via Skype and emails,chats.
Our daughter comes over here once a year.This is than really quality time.

DCC

May 27, 2006
Br Abangan, Tegallelang
My condolences as well, Spitfire. Your sad letter was a reminder of the personal costs we expats must sometimes pay for our self-indulgences, and I thank you for sharing. For me it was timely. I lost my father when I was 10 and honestly the reality of being so far away from my mother, who's 76, didn't sink in till lately as it's been more than a year since we have seen each other. The distance between us seams not so far thanks to email but none the less each and every ache she speaks of gets magnified by not being there in person, it's been tough. I'll be seeing her soon, but not soon enough. Thanks and peace.

Thorsten

Nov 30, 2002
Germany
My condolences to you Spitfire, I know very well what you have been through the last days, my father died 4 years ago.
I know it’s not easy to spend some comfort at the moment, but from what I read here, I would like to say you were fortunate and you should be grateful due this.
To explain – even living on the other side of the world, you had the opportunity to accompany your father on his last way, you were able to talk with him – to open your heart – to make your peace with him, and due your special law in Holland, your father did not has to suffer, a decent farewell.
I was only 200km from my parents, but I did not had the chance for this farewell, when I arrived home, my father was already in coma and I don’t know, if he realised anything I told him during his last weeks.

Best regards
Thorsten

G

My condolences to you and your family.

My father died on 9 April and I buried him two weeks ago.

I was in a similar situation to Thorsten. He only lived about 3.5 hours drive away but I wasn't there when he died. Our family is not close and I rarely saw him except for a few times near the end.

It's been a rough few weeks here...

Gazer

Feb 28, 2005
Singapore
Deepest condolences. I lost my mother a year ago. It was not at all easy to cope with. Glad you had good moments with your Dad and happy memories to keep.

Gazer

spitfire

May 7, 2005
Jimbaran
It feels so good to read these words, thoughts, wishes and personal experiences to my post. I usually respond to the more practical posts in this forum, because that's more like I am...

I do feel so much warmth and friendship in the reactions from people that live all over the world and who relate and sympathise. No words for that! But it's JUST how I want to be in this life. We share this planet all together and make it a good time for everyone.

In a few hours we will cremate my father and I feel stronger because of you.

Thank you.