Motorbikes and Scooters in Bali

Tinkerbelle

Jan 20, 2007
Perth Western Australia
Can anyone give me some prices on how much new and used motorbikes and scooters cost in Bali thanks. By used I mean a few years old or whats the norm for people buying these as transport?. Any help would be appreciated thanks :D

FreoGirl

Dec 21, 2004
Fremantle, Australia
Tink - long time no post :cry:

The favoured bike is Honda - because it has good fuel economy and good resale value.

A new motorbike - 125cc Honda Supra X is around 14.5 Juta, a 100cc is maybe 12.5 Juta. Includes 12 months rego.

Second hand in good condition - maybe 2-3 years old somewhere around 8 to 9 Juta.

Try and steer away from the 2 strokes (Kawasaki & Yamaha) as they use up 2 stoke oil as well as fuel, and the economy is not as good - so I am told by my family.

Tinkerbelle

Jan 20, 2007
Perth Western Australia
Hi Freo, yeah been slack and computers only just got reconnected as I moved. I was in Bali in July for a week and loved it as always. Will be back there boxing day for 10 days. Whats Juta mean? Do you know the cost in Rupiah or Aussie dollars thanks?.

bolli

Nov 28, 2005
Australia
I was just about to refer you to some posts on BTF but I think you may be the other belle??? :lol:
If not, there is some good advice there.

nomad4ever

Jan 2, 2007
Bali
I can only recommend the 'Kymco' Scooters, that's the Taiwanese equivalent to the Yamaha Mio's (which is a bit smaller and maybe more 'lady-like').

The Kymco Jetmatic is 125cc, full-automatic, electric starter, front disc brake and lot's of space under the seat, as well as in front of it. I can easily transport the big Aqua Gallon or a Gas Tank with it. Enough power to get you through the mountains (Singaraya) and back. Tank fits Rp. 20.000 and lasts about half to one week.

Bought mine, 4 years old, with 20.000 kms directly at Kymco in Denpasar, all paper-work done by them, with fresh check-up for Rp. 4.5 Juta. They have great service, as I could experience when I drowned the battery last rainy season and they replaced it 'FOC' with a good 2nd hand one. It's now about 10 months older, with 13.000 kms more on the clock, the engine still runs like hell. Max speed 100 km/h with 2 people.

Last time I was at the Kymco Station (Corner Jl Marlboro/Teuku Umar) for oil change (costs Rp. 25.000 every 5-7.000 km), they had plenty of 2 year olds for around Rp 6-7 Juta. as well as older ones.

Bargaining helps even further.

froggy

Sep 22, 2006
Houston, Texas
Sorry nomad, I do not agree on your view of the kymco, your right they are imported from taiwain thus getting hit with the tarrifs coming into the country ie, they originaly are alot cheaper in price and quality, just look at the condition of one vs a honda or suzuki, yamaha...after about 2 years.... you may have had good luck with yours but they look like they are falling apart after a couple of years compared to the others, also the resale is not as good as a Honda, dont worry thats almost a world wide thing! I wouldnt buy used, the cost of new is usually the better way to go..I,m thinking of importing a couple of the 125 fuel injected (great for the high altitudes of the mountains) hondas with the cast wheels, they are sweet bikes.... Hmm didnt really see any 2 strokes for sale there anymore, but the new fuel injected 2 strokes are clean burning. If you cann find a 100cc or better fuel injected 2stroke it will be a wild ride! 2 strokes have alot of power for thier displacement, just be preparred to have the rings replaced every so often, common in 2 strokes...doesnt cost alot at all though..... have fun Tink

Bert Vierstra

Nov 5, 2002
Homeless
Dewi had a smaller Kymco, the 100cc version. I didn't think the quality was good compared to Honda. Finally sold it, and bought a Honda.

Like the frog said, much better price if you want to sell your Honda.

BaliLife

Mar 27, 2007
In australia and canada (I'm a scooter freak), I've had yamaha and kymcos.. I really avoided the kymco at first just coz I was a yamaha loyalist, but bow after having I can say it is in many ways a better bike.. Now I should clarify, when I say scooters, I mean the 50cc ones.. I had my first, a yamaha when I was 16 in australia and loved its efficiency, its zippiness and the freedom it gave a 16 year old.. 10 years later, in canada, married with 2 kids, I got the urge back again after a visit back to perth, where I rented some scooters in freo and went up and down west coast hwy.. They were kymco, and they were zippy for 50cc.. Spoke to the dude who owned them and he raved about em, though I suspect coz he was runnin a business and kymcos were cheaper..anyway, got back to vancouver and started huntin for a yamaha, but had a bunch of dealers recomend the kymco.. I ended up gettin a kymco, 2 stroke.. It is fast for a 50 and they've got a great warranty here.. On a straight, level road, it quickly gets to 80km/h.. Very fast pickup.. I know there aren't many 50cc that hit that speed as part of the normal accel range without being modded.. Downhill it goes 90+.. I'm shippin it to indo when we move.. So I'm with nomad, kymcos are pretty decent and obviously cheaper than the japanese bikes.. But I've heard the ones in indo aren't necessarily put together as well as those for rest of world..

Ct

froggy

Sep 22, 2006
Houston, Texas
heck the hondas here are not as cool or stylish as the ones in bali, they are a crappy helix design that honda came out with in the 80's... really outdated looking, im sure they run ok but they are UGLY and expensive $3000 U.S ++, thinking of importing a few here from Indo. wonder if I can get gererators also, honda generator, (eu3000is) goes for about 1600-1800 U.S here on ebay used!!! Can someone ask next time they are at the honda shop about generators? HMM-power supply may be different than here? hmm...

froggy

Sep 22, 2006
Houston, Texas
If someone wants a harley or other make, I can have one broken down and shipped in a few pieces(3boxes), save mucho dinero' (much money), best to p.m me on this one!!! :)

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
I bought a new, 250cc (or is it 200cc?) Honda "Tiger," 10 years ago. Never had a mechanical problem, and it is still going strong (of course, I believe in preventive maintenance). It's big enough for the main roads (actually, many "bebeks" pass me by, those crazy Balinese drivers!), and still small enough for the small mountain dirt roads. When I bough it, I had the dealer modify the foot gear-shift to make it as it is on the bebeks. That way you are always pushing, either with the front of your foot (1st), or with your heel for the rest of the gears: you can drive with sandals without hurting the top of your foot.

Ipanema

Aug 19, 2004
For me Yamaha Mio ride them all the time in Bali. In Australia I have a 200cc Bolwell (Twaineses I think) and it runs fantastic but would never ride one of the in Bali. Mio's are light and easy to handle.

Tina

froggy

Sep 22, 2006
Houston, Texas
I found the mio a little small for my American sculpted a$$, specially with my wife on back (J lo') its plenty cheap and very popular& plus cushy seat, a bit underpowered if your big framed and want to cruise up north though.. you will have to push it up some places like fred flintstone, while a tour bus is about to run your butt over...

nomad4ever

Jan 2, 2007
Bali
What I like about Kymco is all the little things that are well thought through and what you don't find on the Yamahas and Hondas.

For instance the room for the feet is so big, you can transport almost anything there, without getting it in the way of your feet or the whatever. It has a hook to hang your belongings and the room beneath the seat fits usually 2 big shopping plastic bag of Carrefour (the other 2 I hang on the hook). Can put in a full helmet for the sozius driver as well.

Then it has a nice sound for 'blinking', which reminds you subtely that you forgot to put the blinker back. Do you see how many people drive around Bali with blinkers still set either left or right? All Honda and Yamaha drivers only. ;-)

But hey - everyone should make up their own mind. Variety is truly and advantage of modern civilizations.

;-)

Bert Vierstra

Nov 5, 2002
Homeless
Re: RE: Motorbikes and Scooters in Bali

nomad4ever said:
Then it has a nice sound for 'blinking', which reminds you subtely that you forgot to put the blinker back. Do you see how many people drive around Bali with blinkers still set either left or right? All Honda and Yamaha drivers only. ;-)

You can buy a beeping blinker unit, had it on my Tiger....

froggy

Sep 22, 2006
Houston, Texas
Ha! two shopping bags, I have had so many bags on the hooks I thought it was going to break, those things are tough. Even the locals were in amazement of how many people and groceries we could ride with. Who could put the most on a scooter seems to enhance ones ego while driving for some odd reason, still couldnt outdo the guy that cruises around with the bamboo shelves built onto his scooter with bags of popcorn chip like things. He was the master, when the wind blows he swerves all over the road. :lol: :lol:

Mainmain

Aug 22, 2006
Adelaide
I curently have a pristine Vespa PX 200 in Australia, but have been riding m/bikes for years. Plenty of old Vespas in Bali but very agricultural. In Bali I usually ride Honda Supra or Yamaha Nouvo. My vote goes to the Nouvo. Fully Automatic, 113cc, space under the seat for helmet. I think it has a longer wheelbase than the Honda and feels more stable. Very attractive scooter and quite popular. Two up no problem although does not like central Bali hills. About 13 Juta. There is a rather nice Yamaha Mx or MZ with water cooling and very good fuel economy. I would prefer it over the Honda, although resale of the Honda would be better. About 14.5 Juta for the Yamaha

Ilu

Jul 27, 2006
Norland Norway, Banjar Bali
I havent ride a bike sinse my teens, but now we have a yamaha mio, and I am learning to drive again. I love the mio. cute bike, and its big enough for my husband and me. My sister in law who is over 30 years old and never diven a bike before, have also learnd to drive the mio. she has now bought a Vario ( a pink one) all the girls dream.