Missing Bali

Medan

Oct 11, 2008
This Saturday, my husband, my son and I went to a restaurant in downtown Lowell, Mass, it’ called: Life Alive. It’s an organic and vegetarian restaurant.

I ordered the hot and healthy bachelor which is; melted cheddar, hardboiled egg, broccoli, dark greens and toasty whole-wheat tortilla bread, my husband ordered the emperor which is sweet sesame miso sauce smothered with melted cheddar cheese, sun-dried tomatoes, dark greens, shredded carrots, sweet corn and smoked tofu served over brown rice.
We found out that they don’t have much of a children menu. So my son ordered peanut butter and jelly. (I felt bad for him) but he’s okay he said.

And then we ordered jasmine teas, as I’m a tea drinker when the waiters came in and brought in our food and drinks, I smelled something really familiar but I couldn’t put my finger on it and we’re drinking our teas, oh my God, the only thing that we can smell is Bali!. That’s the familiar smell that I love. We all said the same thing. Even my twelve year old son said: It’ a smells like Bali. And suddenly we were all talking about Bali and how we miss Bali very much. I love the smell of the flowers, I love the smell of the shampoo and of course the view and laid back attitudes there.

We’ve been in many part of Indonesia even the world, but Bali has its own unique and feeling of paradise that’s hard to describe.

Liz

sterky

Oct 14, 2008
Salamat malam Medan

You brought alive the lovely thoughts and smells of Bali. My children remember the smell of the beautifully washed clothes. Mine never smell so good! The smell of Frangepani and Hibiscus, then the smell of diesel of the boats out to the island, and just the quiet drift of sounds at night without cars! Thank you for reminding me of where my next life is going to start in two weeks!!!

Kim :)

Medan

Oct 11, 2008
Selamat Siang Kim,

So, are you moving for good to Bali in the next few weeks????
You must be really exited to start your new life there. I wish you and your family the best of luck and hopefully your moving experience is a success.

Liz

201wanda

Oct 26, 2008
Hi there Medan, I know exactly what smell you mean. I’ve been to Bali a few times and you’re quite right, there’s no other country, at least none that I’ve been to, that leaves such a colorful and paradisiac memory as Bali does when you go there. I hope you and your son are well, and that he learns to love Bali as much as you and I do. It’s beautiful.

Medan

Oct 11, 2008
Hello 201wanda,

Welcome to the forum, thank you. My son is doing great and I hope he'll be okay in Bali. I know he loves all his nieces and nephews in Sumatra. He misses them a lot. (always asking when we'll visit them again).
We had Halloween yesterday, he loves Halloween and asked me if we are going to have Halloween when we move to Bali? I'm not sure about it.
I love the thanksgiving holiday which is coming pretty soon. I love to cook turkey and all the thanksgiving holliday foods.

Liz

mimpimanis

Nov 4, 2003
Kuta, Lombok
www.mimpimanis.com
I didnt see much sign of Halloween here. My freind's son had to take a pumpkin to school to carve but at Martin's school, they didnt do anything. I noticed one restaurant in Jimbaran with pumpkins hanging up and that was it. Certainly no trick or treating or anything like that here. Maybe you could have a halloween party for him and his friends.

Medan

Oct 11, 2008
Oh well. We'll just have to settle for an Indonesian holiday then. That’s a good idea to have a Halloween party. We’re usually having Halloween parties for adults and kids at the same time, it’s pretty cool. Thanks mimpimanis for your info.

Liz :D

bali my home

Dec 29, 2008
How i agree with all your Bali memories! There IS no other place quite like it.
What we have to do now is to stop the rape of the Bali coastline by the western money grabbers, stop them from building ugly western "luxury" (sic) apartments for the more wealthy tourists.
Bali is Bali and belongs to the Balinese and for me personally i am sad to see these buildings going up next to a Balinese design which has far more apealing characteristics than the concrete and glass 'toilets' that are being built.
Yes we have the right to go to Bali, no we dont have the right to change it, if people want 'luxury living', then go somewhere else and leave Bali to the Balinese.