May I Please Clarify These Terrorism Warnings?

G

There are three primary governments that regularly issue travel advisories to its citizens, viz, the US, Great Britain, and Australia.

The latest advisory by Australia is just an update to its last issued advisory, and if anyone takes the time to read the latest DFAT (Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade) update, one will immediately read, “the overall level of the advice has not changed.”

Virtually NOTHING has been elevated in the last Australian DFAT travel advisory, and if one follows it as closely as I have for a long time, it reads pretty much the same as usual.

Neither the US, or Great Britain has elevated, or revised its travel advisors relating to Bali, or other parts of Indonesia for several months. As a warden for the US consulate office here in Bali, I receive such updates immediately and as issued by the US State Department, and as disseminated down the chain with an obligation to disseminate it further. I have always posted those updates here as soon as possible after I have received them...and I will continue to do so under this travel section of Bert's forum.

On other forums, one can find a sort of “hysteria” over this latest DFAT revision, and all I can say is...good grief!

BaliLife

Mar 27, 2007
Exactly!! Wish the fools who get caught up in this stuff would read the advisory notices in their entirety first..

Ct

froggy

Sep 22, 2006
Houston, Texas
The news spokesmans name is"Downer' how appropriate.... wuz up Roy? I lost the receipe for "The" BBQ sauce- do you know it? its simple like -soy sauce ,garlic, starch? and of course a martini! P.M me the top secret, Thx Frog

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
The worst thing is people tend to read the headlines only. I think it will put people off coming and along with the reccommendations not to fly any Indonesian airline it will have a disastorous affect :-(

Not putting me off though I leave tonight :)

SamD

Sep 7, 2006
Seminyak
DFAT said:
terrorist attacks could take place at any time and could be imminent

What does that mean? Nothing in particular, it is simply the Australian Government trying to cover it arse in case something should happen. They are trying to cover all bases, appease the Indonesians by not raising the level of alert and not leaving themselves open to criticism if/when another bomb goes off - "We told you so". If nothing happens, they are covered as well "We only said it could happen".

They might as well issue a travel advisory for the entire planet with the same warning.

Sergio

Dec 6, 2004
Ottawa, Canada
Thank you Roy, your post is very appropriate after the last terrorist alert thread. People who write these misleading headlines have no idea how much damage they do to the people in Bali who make a living of tourism. I believe there should definitely be a law against (if there isn't already) misleading people with headlines when it has to do with terrorism or anything that seriously effects peoples lives.

megabeast

Jul 18, 2007
canada
Thanks guys. We are planning to move to Bali in a couple of months, and friends/family have been having a fit about the advisory. just checked the advisories as posted by the Canadian gov't, they aren't too keen on Indo either, but seem really confident that the States is a good destination. Hmmmm. And just checked Canada's position on the UK and they say there is no specific warning.... then go into details of the terrorist action in the last month. Why wouldn't that trigger a specific warning??? Seems a bit suspect, doesn't it? I would say we should all just pack up and live in caves, but that might not be considered safe company either. Anyway, appreciate the cool heads that have prevailed here.

jogry blok

Sep 28, 2005
Dencarick
I feel sad that these warnings are still coming. What about the policeman shot in Brisbane?What about the 2 people shot in Melbourne.? My friends were warned by their travelagent not to come to Bali, which they ignored. If other people hear one goes to Bali they say Oh is it safe there?
This should be stopped, it is only Bali and the Balinese people which suffer.