looking for a good quality building inspector/project manager and whether a short legal building contract should be made up with a local solicitor?

meremortal

i wondered if anyone' can suggest something of the above. need someone i can trust to visit my small building project situated in desa lahlanglinggah (balian beach) to inspect building work on a fortnightly basis and report back with videos and detailed notes (wotsapp ok). the inspector/project manager should be fluent in all forms of building and convey to both the 'project manager' on site and myself what is right/wrong and how it can be done better. mainly timber construction with concrete foundations. unsure how long this will take. any idea of costs.

also if i used a lawyer to make up an agreement with the current project manager/builder would this be worth it or a waste of time and money? any suggestions on a lawyer? thanking you.

In all honesty your proposition seems absolutely fraught with possible disasters. I thought about itemizing the issues I saw but it would have run to more pages.

Suffice it to say unless you come over and take charge yourself you might just as well send me your money and I'll piss it up against the wall. Really! If you are not here to watch over the build you are going to get fecked, If you hire someone to check up on the builder they will just work together. The end!

My CV - been there, done that. see picture.

hi thanks for that. sadly, what you've just described has already happened! but i'm 'lucky' the project manager/builder has returned to me to apologize for using my $30k to pay his own office staff during korona and now wishes to earn his forgiveness - whatever that is? but i do know he's jehoval witness and from my experience they are honest and hardworking! so i am going to give him a second chance eg accept my proposals for at least some kind of 'finished product'. that means i'm now in this dilemna where i have the opportunity to find someone i trust to check/inspect his work until my arrival. i do, however, have the cousin of a good friend who can follow-up what's been done but his availability is scarce and his english pretty non-existent. if all building inspectors are to be bribed, as you say, then i guess i just have to get Wafi (the cousin) to do the job. :(

i do, however, have the cousin of a good friend who can follow-up what's been done but his availability is scarce and his english pretty non-existent
Hahahaha.....what could go wrong ?

Read Markitt's post again please !

In short : Don't commit 1 cent if you are not here IN PERSON to follow up !

Divide the project in 3 or 4 lots, each subject of a clear contract.
pay each lot in 3 payments, one at order, one at mid completion, one at final completion.

Only after completion of phase 3 of lot1, go on to lot 2 (again in 3 phases).
Basic 101 even in the West.

Good luck, you're gonna need a lot of it !

Getting contracts written by a lawyer is usually a good idea, but they are pretty much unenforceable. We had enough trouble with our builder even when we were living on the property and checked the project every day.

Unless you are using a big well-known construction company, my suggestion would be to hire workers yourself and pay them on a weekly basis. Buy the building materials yourself and make sure you have time to spend visiting the project.

hi thanks for that. sadly, what you've just described has already happened! but i'm 'lucky' the project manager/builder has returned to me to apologize for using my $30k to pay his own office staff during korona and now wishes to earn his forgiveness - whatever that is?He's found a sucker and wants to dip into that well one more time is what that means friend. but i do know he's jehoval witness and from my experience they are honest and hardworking! Are you fecking stupid?? You're saying the guy who just screwed you out of $30k for not doing what he was contractually obliged to do is honest and hardworking !!!! Why don't I ever meet idiots like you??? I've spent my whole life being more or less honest and a bit hardworking but def NOT RELIGIOUS and I get given feck all!!! so i am going to give him a second chance eg accept my proposals for at least some kind of 'finished product'. that means i'm now in this dilemna where i have the opportunity to find someone i trust to check/inspect his work until my arrival. i do, however, have the cousin of a good friend who can follow-up what's been done but his availability is scarce and his english pretty non-existent. if all building inspectors are to be bribed, as you say, then i guess i just have to get Wafi (the cousin) to do the job. :(
You do know that there is an international data base of people that have been successfully scammed BECAUSE those who have been screwed once are an easy touch for the second and third strikes from different creeps.
To do list:
1) stop all work immediately
2) tell Jehovah you'll have him locked up and then cast off the island unless he returns your money + plus interest
3) wait until you get here to pick up work again
4) tell the cousin of a good friend to piss up a coconut tree.

Dude you may be dumb as dirt but I do wish you luck.

Hahahaha.....what could go wrong ?

Read Markitt's post again please !

In short : Don't commit 1 cent if you are not here IN PERSON to follow up !

Divide the project in 3 or 4 lots, each subject of a clear contract.
pay each lot in 3 payments, one at order, one at mid completion, one at final completion.

Only after completion of phase 3 of lot1, go on to lot 2 (again in 3 phases).
Basic 101 even in the West.

Good luck, you're gonna need a lot of it !
as i've already paid my $30k i'm guessing my 'luck' has run-out! ;)

You do know that there is an international data base of people that have been successfully scammed BECAUSE those who have been screwed once are an easy touch for the second and third strikes from different creeps.
To do list:
1) stop all work immediately
2) tell Jehovah you'll have him locked up and then cast off the island unless he returns your money + plus interest
3) wait until you get here to pick up work again
4) tell the cousin of a good friend to piss up a coconut tree.

Dude you may be dumb as dirt but I do wish you luck.
omg! are all bali expats aggressive?

Getting contracts written by a lawyer is usually a good idea, but they are pretty much unenforceable. We had enough trouble with our builder even when we were living on the property and checked the project every day.

Unless you are using a big well-known construction company, my suggestion would be to hire workers yourself and pay them on a weekly basis. Buy the building materials yourself and make sure you have time to spend visiting the project.
thanks spicy. yes that would be good but when i'm carrying the flock with me i need a comfy landing pad! reverting back to the advertising from the company i used it certainly didn't look shoddy. a lot of things went wrong during the virusssss..... so i guess that caused some bankruptcies. at the moment i have a choice to negotiate with someone who has offered to correct himself. even if that means getting one part of the contract finished i'll be happy. as he's got all the money i'm assuming i can't lose any more!

but i'm 'lucky' the project manager/builder has returned to me to apologize for using my $30k to pay his own office staff during korona and now wishes to earn his forgiveness - whatever that is? but i do know he's jehoval witness and from my experience they are honest and hardworking! so i am going to give him a second chance
In the professional world payments are done usually on a small signing fee and then based on regular and actual progress measured from on site inspections and review of all documented expenses. If you relax on those requirements you are ready to be sucked dry even if you live at site here.

In the professional world payments are done usually on a small signing fee and then based on regular and actual progress measured from on site inspections and review of all documented expenses. If you relax on those requirements you are ready to be sucked dry even if you live at site here.
Exactly what I said !

thanks spicy. yes that would be good but when i'm carrying the flock with me i need a comfy landing pad! reverting back to the advertising from the company i used it certainly didn't look shoddy. a lot of things went wrong during the virusssss..... so i guess that caused some bankruptcies. at the moment i have a choice to negotiate with someone who has offered to correct himself. even if that means getting one part of the contract finished i'll be happy. as he's got all the money i'm assuming i can't lose any more!
So what your saying is he will continue to do some work for free to offset the 30K he stole , yes , stole or he wants you to continue to send him money to supposedly continue building the villa?

If it's the former then what have you got to lose as the money is already gone but don't expect much quality in the build.

If it's the latter then read Markits post above. Yes he is aggressive but he doesn't try and put gloss on it. Sometimes the truth can be brutal...

Cheers
Ken

PS I am building in Bali atm on the Bukit and have the following.

We pay for the material as required after consultation with the project manager ( Brother in Law ) and the Tukang are paid weekly. Pretty much as Balifrog and AuroraB described

So what your saying is he will continue to do some work for free to offset the 30K he stole , yes , stole or he wants you to continue to send him money to supposedly continue building the villa?

If it's the former then what have you got to lose as the money is already gone but don't expect much quality in the build.

If it's the latter then read Markits post above. Yes he is aggressive but he doesn't try and put gloss on it. Sometimes the truth can be brutal...

Cheers
Ken

PS I am building in Bali atm on the Bukit and have the following.

We pay for the material as required after consultation with the project manager ( Brother in Law ) and the Tukang are paid weekly. Pretty much as Balifrog and AuroraB described
hi froggy,

a) yes the former. so what do i have to lose?!! yes, i realized bad quality but is anything worse than margaret river tradesmen? i'd say no after 25 years of building and renovating! the last bathroom i designed and managed took 3 months instead of 3 weeks and cost $25k instead of $5k. everything i've had built here has had to be done more than twice. i know more than most builders and i've only studied construction 101 at a perth tafe when i was the only woman plus had no relative building experience and got the top mark against guys with over 10 years experience. common sense, creativity and practical skills make a good builder - australians have none of the prior!

b) i had a contract similar to what you stated. one of the partners sent me videos of what had been done but it was very scanty. sadly i cannot be in bali to manage the build for a number of reasons. most of it is just renovation. because one of the partners of the business, catu kreasi utama, is associated with an australian builder i know and, also, a jehovah witness i thought i could trust this person (up until now i have never met a dishonest or lazy jehovah - i think the fact that putut has come back and offered some sort of help confirms he's not all bad!). however, the business went bankrupt sometime after my first year of negotiations (2021), and i'm not there to manage the build. if your brother-in-law is intersted in another site manager/project manager job, please let me know. whilst putut (one of the partners - jeremiah was the other!) has promised to continue i need someone to follow up every two weeks. of course i can reward him (my friend (and business partner for 20 years - thought i'd add that before i got a rush of criticism on that item too!) in jember handles my finances in indo). otherwise i'll keep looking for someone who can take a few photoes and videos every two weeks and ensure what's left to do is not too awful! thanks

hi froggy,

a) yes the former. so what do i have to lose?!! yes, i realized bad quality but is anything worse than margaret river tradesmen? i'd say no after 25 years of building and renovating! the last bathroom i designed and managed took 3 months instead of 3 weeks and cost $25k instead of $5k. everything i've had built here has had to be done more than twice. i know more than most builders and i've only studied construction 101 at a perth tafe when i was the only woman plus had no relative building experience and got the top mark against guys with over 10 years experience. common sense, creativity and practical skills make a good builder - australians have none of the prior!

b) i had a contract similar to what you stated. one of the partners sent me videos of what had been done but it was very scanty. sadly i cannot be in bali to manage the build for a number of reasons. most of it is just renovation. because one of the partners of the business, catu kreasi utama, is associated with an australian builder i know and, also, a jehovah witness i thought i could trust this person (up until now i have never met a dishonest or lazy jehovah - i think the fact that putut has come back and offered some sort of help confirms he's not all bad!). however, the business went bankrupt sometime after my first year of negotiations (2021), and i'm not there to manage the build. if your brother-in-law is intersted in another site manager/project manager job, please let me know. whilst putut (one of the partners - jeremiah was the other!) has promised to continue i need someone to follow up every two weeks. of course i can reward him (my friend (and business partner for 20 years - thought i'd add that before i got a rush of criticism on that item too!) in jember handles my finances in indo). otherwise i'll keep looking for someone who can take a few photoes and videos every two weeks and ensure what's left to do is not too awful! thanks
That was my post , not froggy's ( yea Balifrog, her words , not mine :) )

Building anywhere in WA and especially renovating is crazy. Material costs going up weekly , tradesman, and I use that word loosely ,doing half assed work , picking the easiest parts of the job and then moving on, never to return , long wait times, not even bothering to return calls when asking about new work etc etc.
The industry is heading for a hard landing though because interest rates coupled with crazy wait times is starting to bite on sales.
Yes I am WA and have just done a kitchen reno in Perth...

Anyway, I can't help with the project manager as the BIL is only doing it as favour plus we know the builder from previous builds and can trust him ( just) .
As you said though ,what have you got to lose as the money is already gone and he is going to continue without supposedly charging you anymore. Just find someone to keep taking pics and videos which gives you at least the opportunity to see if it's going pear shaped again and you can correct/stop/sack him.

That was my post , not froggy's ( yea Balifrog, her words , not mine :) )

Building anywhere in WA and especially renovating is crazy. Material costs going up weekly , tradesman, and I use that word loosely ,doing half assed work , picking the easiest parts of the job and then moving on, never to return , long wait times, not even bothering to return calls when asking about new work etc etc.
The industry is heading for a hard landing though because interest rates coupled with crazy wait times is starting to bite on sales.
Yes I am WA and have just done a kitchen reno in Perth...

Anyway, I can't help with the project manager as the BIL is only doing it as favour plus we know the builder from previous builds and can trust him ( just) .
As you said though ,what have you got to lose as the money is already gone and he is going to continue without supposedly charging you anymore. Just find someone to keep taking pics and videos which gives you at least the opportunity to see if it's going pear shaped again and you can correct/stop/sack him.
thanks for your response and comments. sorry to get you mixed up. i had a good think the day i responded to you as i thought i must know someone in bali with building experience (having travelled there since 1977), and hurrah! andy from sanur came to mind. so i'm hoping he'll agree to the task as he's had some building experience. surely he can manage the photoes/videos and check out the quality for me?!! fingas krost. glad you agree re WA building standards. margies must be th worst place for trades. i've had one good aussie bloke since i arrived 25 years ago. sadly he had diabetes and died. that was the end of them i reckon. when locals say to me there are good builders here i ask them what have they constructed? as i see nothing in this town worth retaining - that's if anything is still standing in ten years! (they've already knocked down all the history in the main street.) the interest rate thing is already having an effect. what's more scary to me is that in the future when we won't be able to get our hands on building materials the houses built over the last two decades or so aren't going to be standing in the next two. wonder where all the new kids on the block will live (under a tree?). unlike our european counterparts who are still turning 700 year old barns etc into residences that will be there forever. we in the rich countries will be punished the most. our currencies will devalue much more than the developing and third world. we're the ones that will be punished the most. i think the recent scam set the story straight for me. innocence has gone forever. nothing can be believed and everything that is re-created nowadays is going to be worse for your health and the environment whilst completely keeping you controlled. that's why i made my plans a long time ago to live in an undeveloped country where i can, at least, live spontaneously without the need for technology. i still use only cash but its getting harder and harder. control is cruel. thanks again for your help.

that's why i made my plans a long time ago to live in an undeveloped country where i can, at least, live spontaneously without the need for technology. i still use only cash but its getting harder and harder. control is cruel. thanks again for your help.
You're on a winner there friend! Just out of interest where is your build located?

Back