Living in Bali

jodymc

Apr 18, 2005
Australia
Hello everybody,

I am thinking about coming to Bali for an extended period and would love some information on where to live, cost of living etc. etc.

Would be very interested in homestay (Is there such a thing?)

I have already emailed a couple of you asking questions, but the more information I can gather the better.

Me: Female mid fifties fit/active/adventurous and probably a tad insane :!:

I am enjoying the site very much, thanks!

Jody McDonald

Tracey

Mar 26, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
Jody,
there are literally hundreds of homestays/Losmens in Bali, it will depend on what you want/need to be comfortable...
I hate A/C, so have always stayed in Local style accom with a fan over a bed, a sink & cupborad for clothes, then alocal Mandi shwer & a Western toilet, although I have also stayed in places with only squat toilets, but hard to manouver when totally intoxicated! :roll:

At the time I paid $180 Au for a year rent....

But it depends on what an extended period of time is to you & if you get a visa etc, etc!!!

It's not insane it's perfectly normal...

I hope that helps a little!

drbruce

Feb 12, 2004
singaraja, bali
cyberbali.com
Jody,

If Bert doesn't mind the link. I have written several articles for an online travezine about moving overseas with the last more specifically about Bali. You can find them at escapeartist.com. Please be aware that the articles are based only on my experience and those few expats that I know. Other expats in different parts of Bali have different perspectives.

Regards,

Bruce

Kawika

Apr 2, 2005
USA
"At the time I paid $180 Au for a year rent.... " Tracey, can you tell us when that was? and in what area you stayed? Thanks. 180 for a year? yeowza.

matahari

Mar 8, 2005
Oslo
$180 Au for one year? that`s about 1,2 million RP! - 100.000 Rp/month - 3300Rp/day

must have been in 1805 or deep in the forest with not a naighbor in sight.

Tracey

Mar 26, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
It was 1997 When the $ went from about 1,750rp per $Aud,
to a bout 9,000+rp per $Aud...

It was in local Kost style acoom in an alley way behind Aroma's, now near the New Mall. There were only Local families staying there & myself. I had been in Lovina for over a week & had not known about the exchange rate so when I came back to Kuta & saw the price I changed a fair bit of cash & got a local friend to get me a room!
It was a single bed, had western toilet, Mandi shower & a bench with a sink!
I bought a fridge, stereo & a fan... Later I bought a kettle & a toaster.... Some friends threw a few extra mattress's in & we would all crash in there!
Those were the GREAT Ole' days! :cry: