Legality & Viability of vending "alternative"

Gongchime

Nov 11, 2006
Korea
RE: Legality & Viability of vending "alternative&qu

Sorry Jamie, I see you're in Jersey and yes, we can move on Bert.

froggy

Sep 22, 2006
Houston, Texas

Bongtime---- The significant problem you have in this "action" cannot be solved at the same level of thinking from which you created it! :lol: I dont think he gets it Jimbo......

Sanurian

Sep 28, 2004
Sanur

dawnofjedi

Just as a note, there is a company who already claims to be doing this from Bali...

I had a look at that site but I couldn't see anywhere in it that suggests they're doing it from Bali. Various links to Chicago, Hawaii, etc. One of them reckons they have Balinese kambon for sale.

So I don't think anyone can really say that:

...Seems they must have already figured out the Indonesian legal issues of these other herbs...

I doubt that that's true. Anybody seriously contemplating getting on the "psychoactive herbs" bandwagon and doing it from within Indonesian needs their head read.

I vaguely remember a bureaucratic shit-fight years ago when an Australian tourist got "busted" for bringing in some pain-killer medication that was freely available in Australia, over-the-counter. I know it wasn't aspirin and it certainly wasn't morphine. Whatever it was, it turned into a diplomatic nightmare for both countries. I think somebody else got into trouble with their asthma medication (because they forgot to bring a letter from their doctor).

Indonesia still has a long way to go before the suggested venture is "safe" for the principals. I wouldn't want to be in their shoes in the present climate.

8)

Sanurian

Sep 28, 2004
Sanur

Truth is stranger than fiction, Bert..

I still wouldn't want to be in their shoes.
Who buys those products in Indonesia?
Is there really a market here?
How big?
Thinking.

:)

G

RE: Legality & Viability of vending "alternative&am

Anybody seriously contemplating getting on the "psychoactive herbs" bandwagon and doing it from within Indonesian needs their head read.

I vaguely remember a bureaucratic shit-fight years ago when an Australian tourist got "busted" for bringing in some pain-killer medication that was freely available in Australia, over-the-counter.
One example is Mersyndol which contains about 10mg of codeine. Products with that level of codeine are available over the counter in Australia but not in Indonesia. Codeine is a proscribed drug in Indonesia.

Just because a plant may have a psychotropic effect does not automatically make it illegal. Coffee (caffeine) has a psychotropic effect.

Most of the herbs and other plants mentioned above are not proscribed drugs in Indonesia. They are not illegal and therefore
possession and use of them is not a criminal offence.

Many types of jamu, some with psychotropic effects, are available everywhere in Indonesia.

froggy

Sep 22, 2006
Houston, Texas

....Like I have said, You are not going to cruise into town and disrupt the local drug trade!!! Hell, why would I want to buy that crap, the "real deal" is readily available by the joint,,,, and like almost any cop, they dont get excited over 1 blunt!!! I read in the forums of the "high" you get off several products ( no where close as weed)- Who knows how bad this shit is for you... at least you kinda now what your getting with weed or shrooms... and thats whats Bali is known for- Majic Omlets!!! Lets see some of that on Inas cooking show! You may be able to get away with a "head shop" with alot of money spent on lawyers, bribes etc... but putting people out to pimp this product on the street, your asking for your head to be cut off by the local band of little mobsters.....

Bert Vierstra

Nov 5, 2002
Homeless
Re: RE: Legality & Viability of vending "alternativ

Sanurian said:
Truth is stranger than fiction, Bert..

I still wouldn't want to be in their shoes.
Who buys those products in Indonesia?

Well, they are in the export business.

I send an email to them, but no reply.

jogry blok

Sep 28, 2005
Dencarick

I would not like doing business again with the Indonesian customs, after having to pay 24 million to get our 24ft. container cleared which contents were only old household good.
Wish you luck with your future business, as far as I am concerned it is a waspnest.

Gongchime

Nov 11, 2006
Korea

It looks like the only way to do this would be to find a grower in Bali, purchase the herbs there (or grow them yourself), perhaps make some available in Bali in a form that will fly under the radar and export the rest.

Growing it yourself would be a real headache though I think. You have to have a lot available even when it might not grow. Gotta keep enough in reserve in a warehouse (hopefully not rat infested which would require cleaning the product before trying to package it unless you're one of the Bidi makers in India then you just roll up the rat terds and all)

I was looking at stats concerning tobacco and clove consumption in Indonesia. It turns out most families spend more on tobacco than anything else. Even more than festivals.

The clove cigarettes contain more tar and other nasties than does tobacco. People derive more nicotine from them as well because of the way they're smoked. Rich Chinese hire women and children many of whom are required to roll almost 350 cigarettes an hour by hand for next to nothing.

I think even automated machinese can't compete with that. Maybe they could make more faster, but they probably couldn't make them cheaper. Sale of tobacco is the governments number one source of income in Indonesia.

The Indonesians don't need another addiction to burden their lives with. If you could develop a product that could get people off of tobacco, that would be good for everyone (except the government and the multinationals that want to come in and buy up the existing successful tobacco enterprises).