Learning Basa Jawi

Adam

Jul 21, 2006
Western Australia
Hi!

Can anybody suggest any books or other resources that would be helpful for trying to learn Basa Jawi? Has anybody tried learning it? I attempted to learn Basa Bali but just got frustrated cos it wasn't sinking in and I suspect that might be the case with Basa Jawi. Unfortunately, a lot my potential in-laws don't speak Bahasa Indonesia so it would be nice to at least have a minor grasp of some lingo as I intend to spend as much time as I can in my fiances village in the future and don't wish to nag poor Ani all the time with translating, or feel like a mute if she's not around!

Cheers
Adz

CAP

Jun 9, 2006
Australia
Hi Adam, I lived in Jawa for alot of years and wish I had of focussed more Basa Jawa than Basa Indo reasons being ,when I was partying with my Jawa friends the spontainouse humur was always in Jawa, The problem with your inlaws not speaking Basa Indo is a commen problem that I suffer too,The tricky thing you will find is that there is a big mob of dialecs and different levals of Jawa depending on who you wish to speak to ,your inlaws may well not understand if you start speaking a learnt Basa Jawa.
There are two ways to learn a forien language one being immersion and the other being in a normal academic way.
Trust me immersion (being with the people you wish to speak to)is the only way to learn Basa Jawa .
Ok niki mawon ( thats all)