Learning Balinese

Ilu

Jul 27, 2006
Norland Norway, Banjar Bali
Hi
Fist I want to apologise about my english writing. Its not my languge and I am dysletic also so I hope you will understand me
I wandering if someone have the same experiance as me. Before I meet my husband I was learning Indonesian, but after we get married I always stay in his village and everybodey speeks Balinese. My Indonesian get worse because I never hear it anymore and the little I have learned is almost gone. I try to learn some balinese, but my problem is that he is high casta and they use different words when they talk to diferent people. even family members. I would like to here what others have done in the same situasion.

bukit

Aug 4, 2006
Australia
After 8 years married to a balinese lady I have learned alot of balinese but only low caste .I am only just now trying to catch up with my bahasa indonesia it is very confusing now as I some times mix the two together.I just learned what my wifes family speak at home :) :)

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
This discussion, whether it is best to learn bahasa Bali or Bali Indonesia, or both, has come up from time to time in the past.

My point has always been that bahasa Indonesia is enough, and for several reasons:

A) It is the national language, thus useful all over Indonesia. Bahasa Bali is obviously useful only in Bali, as is bahasa Java only useful in Java.

B) Unless trying to converse with very old Balinese, those who would have been at least in their teens prior to independence, just about all Balinese can speak bahasa Indonesia very fluently.

C) Bahasa Indonesia is far more easier to learn than the several levels of bahasa Bali.

Another observation I have made over the past eight years of kampung di Bali life is that bahasa Indonesia is spoken in family compounds with a lot more regularity than one may expect. This is especially true when a guest, even a Balinese guest, is present in the compound. Most Balinese I know agree that the vocabulary of bahasa Indonesia is larger than bahasa Bali, thus offering more ways to express one’s self.

Banjar meetings, at least in our village, are always conducted in bahasa Bali. Moreover, official Banjar and Adat documents are written in Balinese Sanskrit, not in Indonesian. This is about tradition, and there is a great sense to preserve this tradition. All other official government documents that I am aware of are written in bahasa Indonesia.

In my own situation, raising three boys with a Balinese wife, it’s almost comical how language comes into play. From our staff and other kids in our village, they get bahasa Bali, from their mother, they get bahasa Indonesia, except when she is angry at them...and then it’s full on naughty Balinese, and from me...it’s 90% English. So, it’s funny how in one sentence they will occasionally mix all three languages!

There are a couple of members on this forum who are quite fluent in bahasa Bali. I’ve always had nothing less than great admiration for their commitment to take up such a difficult language. Good luck with your decision Ilu.

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
Thats called Bahasa Campur Roy and in my house it is the norm except when they want to keep things secret from me and they talk in their mothers language :)

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Thats called Bahasa Campur Roy and in my house it is the norm except when they want to keep things secret from me and they talk in their mothers language

Yes Jimbo...mixed for certain, and my three boys are expert at it!

In Sulawesi, which as I recall your wife is from, there could be several indigenous languages mixed into the this campur. Without looking at any books, let me try here...bahasa tanatoraga....bahasa Bugis and bahasa Makasaar? How did I do?

truth sayer

Dec 10, 2005
hawaii
Hello from Puna, Hawaii

I haven't been on this forum for some time, due to internet inaccessability, as in if you don't have a home PC, then you pay $8.00US per hour! It's great to be back online with the "Bali crew!"

I had to add a comment about "language campur." When my oldest half-Balinese son was about 2, my husband Murna, would teach him some Balinese words, I would use the little bit of Bahasa I knew with English. We were living in Denver, Colorado at the time, so my son, Wayan Subali, would end up speaking to everyone in a mixture, and for several years, he would mix up the languages. For at least 2 years he spoke in a mixed language, often using an Indonesian word with an English one. One of our favorites was the word, "mati" for dead. He used it for everything from the dead car, to the electric light bulb, if it didn't work, it was "mati."

By the way, my sons are coming for the cremation ceremony of their father, Wayan Murna, on Aug. 28. My son Wayan has never been to Bali, his brother Made, has been twice. Wayan had not seen his father since he was 5. Made had come and met him and got to know him, we had all planned to return this year to look into moving over, since Murna was anxious to move out of his beloved Kuta, which had become over whelming for him.

Hopefully they will be able to meet some of you from the forum. They will stay in Kuta, but I encourage them to get out to some more traditional villages. They only have 2 weeks, and sadly, I am not able to make it this time.

My son Wayan is one of the first children of mixed marriage from the early 70's wave of travelers to fall in love in Bali. He was 32 on Aug. 1. I have written my story in past emails, but soon I hope to write a story about Wayan Murna, he deserves some recognition for being an icon of Kuta beach for many years. Another thread hopefully soon Aloha!

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
You should post more often. Your recollections are most enjoyable, and a lot of fun to read.

When my boys are the same age now as your boy, or boys, I can only wonder what their Bali will be like.

As parents, and in total love and devotion to our children, we always want, and do everything we can think is best for them. Personally, I will never, ever, take my boys away from Bali.

In all honesty, I can't imagine taking them from what is their home...home being defined in all possible manners as a nurturing, spiritual, community, healthy and totally conducive to growth kind of place. That’s my village, in a “nut shell.”

Ilu

Jul 27, 2006
Norland Norway, Banjar Bali
Thank you for the reply. my problem is how to learn bahasa indonesia when nobodey speeks it dayli. before I could listen an ask and learn, when dey speaks direktly to me they use bahasa indonesia, but because I dont speek it well they give up. my husband have to translate all the time and that makes it hard to get to now his family. how did most of you learn bahasa indonesia? take clases? I am a slow learner in language. :oops:

bukit

Aug 4, 2006
Australia
Ilu when in bali just sit and listen to how words are sounded out and put together. At first it sounds like every one's talking so fast .Start learning a word or two every day then move on to sentences .Talking that was "so fast"starts to slow down when you understand more words.

truth sayer

Dec 10, 2005
hawaii
"when my boys are the same age now as your boys, I can only wonder what their Bali will be like."

Aloha Roy, Yes, In my wildest dreams I wouldn't ever have guessed Bali would've become so overbuilt. It seemed so far from anything like that in those days, hardly anyone even knew where it was, much less want to come visit. But the world has changed, and will continue to change, as the population increases and increases. The Vedas of India, and many Balinese understand we are in the darkness of the age of "Kali-yuga" the time when our planet is run by demoniac minds, quarrels, hypocrisy and greed take precedence over everthing, and nature is mostly destroyed for factories and technology.

[quote:2s3dlw72]
" As parents, and in total love and devotion to our children we always want, and do everything we can think is best for them. Personally I will never ever take my boys away from Bali." :cry[/quote:2s3dlw72]:
Both Murna and I were very devoted, however, we didn't have the privilege of having any comfortable material security. Bali was very much a 3rd world place. Not many ways to make money, tourism had barely begun, the world didn't travel like it does now. I didn't want to take my children from Bali, but I didn't want to watch them not have enough to eat or not have decent medical care if they became sick. Our devotion was that we wanted them to have Murna never had, or at least he did.

"
In all honesty, I can't imagine taking them away from what is their home...home being defined in all possible manners as a nurturing, spiritual community, healthy, and totally condusive to growth kind of place."
I agree with you Roy, Bali is a very special place for children to grow up. It broke my heart, and has not even begun to heal, for the choices made back so long ago. It was out of poverty that we had to leave. My parents had money to invest to help making some business, which is what our intention was when we married. My father realized the potential of Indo-Bali handicrafts, and actually bought up a container to take back to US. He was an engineer and didn't know how to market that "gold mine" Both Murna and I wanted to start a restaurant or shop, but the funding wasn't available. Yes, many regrets in that area, but what can one do?

Even without the influence of their Balinese relatives, my sons have been raised in a very nurturing environment, loving family and I did my best to teach them Hindu dharma, perhaps more estensively so than most ordinary Balinese children. Some children are naturally more inclined towards spritual science than others, my son Wayan is very learned in Sanskrit (not Balinese, but nevertheless very close!) My boys know all the Vedic stories that Balinese culture has, maybe they don't know the traditional stories, but they are learned in the history of the planet, according to the Mahabharat, Ramayana, and Bhagavad-gita. I spoke with many young Balinese in Kuta when I was there last year, and found many to be lacking interest in much of their culture, more interested in hustling women and going to Australia than understanding anything about their own culture. This was in Kuta, but most of these kids I spoke with came from other parts of Bali. They feel we have something better to offer then their culture, because so many of them are so poor, and they can't help compare their lives to their materially rich Aussie and Western friends.

I don't feel it is too late for my sons to learn about their biological heritage. They are still young, and have had a good background. This trip will be a stepping stone for my son Wayan especially. Made is of a different personality, he loves Bali, but it is Wayan that has the Balinese nature. He says he is at peace with the fact he didn't get to see his father, and he knows that Murna is at peace with it as well. I understand that he has much more insight into this situation than I do, such is the connection of the Balinese minds.

One more thing, sorry this so long, but when the subject of bali comes up, I have much to say. Since this thread was about learning Balinese, my son Made, when he was a toddler, under 3, he would ramble on in his own speech, which sounded to me like Balinese, and to anyone who didn't know, they commented that he was speaking some Asian language. This was in Colorado, and his Balinese father wasn't there influencing him, he seemed to be able to speak some Balinese, left over from a past life, perhaps! :lol:

bukit

Aug 4, 2006
Australia
pak Roy As the father of a 8 year old daughter I too wonder what bali will be like in th future At the moment we do not live in bali but bali is with us all the time with the help of my wife.When in bali my daughter is like me At home!! what will the future hold for bali?

bukit

Aug 4, 2006
Australia
bukit said:
pak Roy As the father of a 8 year old daughter I too wonder what bali will be like in th future At the moment we do not live in bali but bali is with us all the time with the help of my wife.When in bali my daughter is like me At home!! what will the future hold for bali?
Truth sayer my 8year old daughter does not speak much balinese in Australia me and my wife do a lot of the time but when we go home to bali to see the family. Playing with her cousins in bali the bahasa bali in her just comes on so strong.