KL visa run update

O

May 21, 2007
indonesia
I just got back from KL to get the clock ticked back 6 month on my passport and I figured some of you are still wondering -as I was before I opted for KL- which between Singapore and Kuala Lumpur makes the most sense. There are of course other options but all more costly, from what I know.
1. Travel
Air Asia flies to KL daily -a few times per day - direct from Denpasar. Depending on how long in advance you book and which day of the week you go, return flights can be bought for about 200USD.
2. Indonesian Embassy in KL
Their site http://www.kbrikl.org.my needs update as it does not reflects the reality on the ground. It mentions that it takes 3 days to get your passport back once you've applied -one page even mentions that you can collect it only on the fourth day- but they're actually much faster. You apply in the morning and get your passport back the next day in the afternoon. That's assuming you had all the paperwork required (sponsor letter, pictures...see website for complete list). The website also does not allow you to download the visa form -as they do in Bangkok or Singapore- you get it at the embassy and fill it while you stand in line.
3. KL vs Singapore
In Singapore, with the help of an agent -and a high fee- you can get your passport back the same day. I haven't tried but i heard it's also possible to do this in KL on your own if you're first in line and ask nicely. Otherwise you'll have to spend a night or two, depending on your flight schedule, but in KL, hotels are much more affordable than in Singapore plus you can practice your bahasa while you're there.
Voila, hope that helps some of you.

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
We were in KL 6 months ago for my friend visa update and it did take 3 days as the sebsite says. A weekago another friend was back there, and she said the office is totally renovated, the service unbelievably better and you can indeed get it the same day. So it really seems a great alternative to Singapore for those who are not fond of that place.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Great infos and thanks - one question though, how flexible are the KL flights? What I mean is if you go for the $200 return option how flexible is that? If you go for 4 days and the passport is done in 1 can you change it without too much hassle or cash? And vise versa if you go for 2 days and the renewal takes 3 what are your options then - money wise, I mean?

The main problem seems to be the unpredictability of it all?

Thanks

O

May 21, 2007
indonesia
You can change your airasia ticket within 48h prior to departure. There is a fee for changing date and another one if your new date falls on a more expensive day than previously booked. Obviously the best way to find out in detail is to give air asia a call.

g121ff

Dec 4, 2008
Flew home last night from KL. Had been told visa would take 3 days, ie: apply Monday, collect Wednesday, however, we applied first thing Monday morning (we were there as they opened) and collected at 3pm same day. Make sure you take photocopies of your passport-although you can get copies done at the embassy for RM1.00. Although the forms are confusing, the staff are very helpful.
Also, we'd been told to dress respectfully ie: collared shirt, long trousers, proper shoes, covered shoulders, no t-shirts or flip flops, but everyone else was wearing vest tops and sandals!! Felt overdressed.
Hated KL, noisy, smelly place, just like London only more humid :lol:

Also, if you fly AirAsia, buy express boarding-saves the fight for seats that seems to be inevitable on these low cost airlines!

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
I know this is probably asking a lot but did you get the feeling that your one day visa was the rule or the exception? What I mean is could it be depended upon if you had booked a one day turnaround flight from AirAsia?

On another note have you met anyone that has used the special offer of 2000000 to London from KL?

VincentOG

Oct 23, 2006
Karangasem, Bali
Useful info.
Thank you O.
It’s now filed under “Visa Run” for future action.

For Bali-based expats I guess Singapore & KL are the obvious locations for visa runs.

Singapore; I currently here with my girl for the whole of December and I love it. After rural living in East Bali, it’s a wonderful urban contrast.
Bangkok; Also a world class city where it easy to while away a week or a month.
KL; Apart from the Museum of Islamic Art and the Old China Café, there is not a lot I
Care for in KL. It’s a good launch pad to Tioman, Penang, the Cameron Highlands etc but not much else after you have your new visa.

But are there any other places that should or could be considered for relatively easy visa runs?
Dilli?

SG

Apr 17, 2007
Sanur, Bali
Apart from the Museum of Islamic Art and the Old China Café, there is not a lot I
Care for in KL. It’s a good launch pad to Tioman, Penang, the Cameron Highlands etc but not much else after you have your new visa.

To be honest, I'm not a fan of either Penang or the Cameron Highlands, but I do love the food you can find if you hunt around KL. I like the city a lot..great shopping at a fraction of the price you'll pay in Singapore for the same items (and the people are so much less officious) and it's great for a few days. The Indian breakfasts are something I crave.

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
The Indian breakfasts are something I crave

Amen to that. I used to have them many years ago in KL and in Johor Baru and then again in the middle east. What is your favourite.

Mine was Keema peas and Paratha with fresh Raita

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
An Indian breakfast in India is a little of the fish curry left over from last night - that can't be what you're talking about...

SG

Apr 17, 2007
Sanur, Bali
Jimbo said:
The Indian breakfasts are something I crave

Amen to that. I used to have them many years ago in KL and in Johor Baru and then again in the middle east. What is your favourite.

Mine was Keema peas and Paratha with fresh Raita

I love the roti with the dhal and the various curry sauces..washed down with kopi tarik

milan

Mar 20, 2008
SG, Markit and Jimbo. You all sound like my husband - loving the Indian stuff. Am not so crazy,though.
In case you'd all like to know the Italian Restaurant that Italians like "Modesto" (as some of the Formula Uno entourage came too) - it's in front of "The Beach" Bar/REstaurant in KL, but you can also find the same one in Singapore, Tanglin Road.
Also an excellent one in KL but in the residential area near the Italian Embassy which name I don't remember.

SG

Apr 17, 2007
Sanur, Bali
milan said:
SG, Markit and Jimbo. You all sound like my husband - loving the Indian stuff. Am not so crazy,though.
In case you'd all like to know the Italian Restaurant that Italians like "Modesto" (as some of the Formula Uno entourage came too) - it's in front of "The Beach" Bar/REstaurant in KL, but you can also find the same one in Singapore, Tanglin Road.
Also an excellent one in KL but in the residential area near the Italian Embassy which name I don't remember.

KL has some great restaurants, Milan. Some of the best Chinese I've had anywhere is there, in those little hole in the wall places just south of Jl.Imbi. The paper chicken is quite something.

Or the butter pawns and mango chicken in Jl. Alor (yes I know it's a tourist trap).

kl4%5B4%5D.jpg

And they have some excellent bars. Lunar on the 33rdth or 34th floor of the Pan Global building (I think) has great views of the Twin Towers at night...quite stunning and, unlike Indonesia, you can get a bloody drink at the moment.

The Twin Towers are far more stunning in the flesh than they are in pictures too (but the pictures kinda work too).

kl3%5B6%5D.jpg

lumumba

Sep 17, 2008
Bandung-Bali-Jakarta
Visa run Update

I got my Visa last month in KL. I use to go to Singapore up to 3 years ago. I find KL better.

By 0: You apply in the morning and get your passport back the next day in the afternoon.
You will get it the same day in the afternoon.

By Ronb: the office is totally renovated, the service unbelievably better and you can indeed get it the same day.

I do agree 100%, they are using a numbering system, pick up your number and wait until it will be displayed on the digital board.

By Markit: one day visa was the rule or the exception?

Now it is the rule. If I was you I would phone the Embassy in KL just b4 getting the AirAsia ticket and let then confirm it to you. This is what I do all the time.

Regards
L.