Joan Torres

RETIREMENT KITAS/KITAP

Having read through many many threads and been able to glean some information I would truly appreciate it if any one of you can answer SPECIFICALLY the questions One by ONE thank you

1. How many years must you have a Kitas before you can apply for KITAP

2. Once you have a KITAP ..are you required to use the same agent or sponsor when you go to Immigration to renew.

3. How many times Must you renew your Kitap before it becomes a PERMANENT Kitap requiring only a visit to immigration for update.

3a. Is a Sponsor/broker required at this point to be involved.

4. How many times must you PAY a sponsor/broker once PERMANENT KITAP is received .... If at all.

Hi Joan Torres and welcome....I will attempt to answer your questions in the concise manner you asked for but added some relevant info.....

1. After you acquire the 4th Kitas you are eligible to apply for a Kitap.
2. Yes. the agent is your sponsor.
3. The first Kitap is valid for 5 years the second is indefinite.
3a. Yes...the agent will continue to be the sponsor and beware...it is expensive.
4. Once...except in the above cases it is still required for the agent to get a Multi-Entry Re-entry Permit (MERP) every 2 years and there is a cost for that.

Last edited:
Thank you so very much.
Can we expand?

3a so the sponsor must be involved every 5 years when you go to immigration to update information.

You still must pay sponsor each time?

Any idea cost?

4. If Not in the above instances do you get multi entry permit from immigration?

Is it indefinite or needs to be stamped periodically?

Re; Post # 3

3a. No...You report to Immigration yourself every 5 years at no cost.

4. No... you still get your agent to apply for the MERP which, at present, only lasts 2 years. The official fee for a MERP for 2 years is Rp1,750,000 ...what an agent charges is negotiated between yourself and the agent.

Please note I amended my previous post requiring Kitas # 4 before applying for the Kitap. I originally typo'd Kitas # 3.
The law demands a full 3 years of Kitas so, whether it is necessary to apply for a 4th Kitas or, after the 3rd expires go directly to a Kitap and avoid needing Kitas # 4, I suggest discussing with the agent.

Last edited:
Re; Post # 3

3a. No...You report to Immigration yourself every 5 years at no cost.

4. No... you still get your agent to apply for the MERP which, at present, only lasts 2 years. The official fee for a MERP for 2 years is Rp1,750,000 ...what an agent charges is negotiated between yourself and the agent.

Please note I amended my previous post requiring Kitas # 4 before applying for the Kitap. I originally typo'd Kitas # 3.
The law demands a full 3 years of Kitas so, whether it is necessary to apply for a 4th Kitas or, after the 3rd expires go directly to a Kitap and avoid needing Kitas # 4, I suggest discussing with the agent.
Wow .. You are GOOD!!

Seems each response rises another question.

1. Even with lifetime kitas you must renew EXIT visa every 2 years. And pay agent?

2. Are you ever free of agent or can you change without a fee.

3. I understand there are only 4 or 5 authorized brokers./agents.

Are ALL EXPATS covered by these few companies? Seems impossible if true.

I hope i am not taking up too much of your time.

It is so difficult to get straight answers on facebook and undetstanding government publications ... WHEN I am even able to find them!!

Re #1 - you can go from KITAS to KITAP after 3 years. You cannot renew the KITAS any further after the 5th year.

Re: post # 5
You are welcome...it becomes easy to answer questions when they are so candidly and concisely asked...:)

1. Exactly....Please understand the lifetime renewal is fairly new and not many have used yet. The MERP issue may be something that will be amended in time...remember... this is Indonesia and 'Jam Karet.'

2. A retirement Kitas/Kitap requires a regulated travel agent to be the agent, who is the sponsor. I know of no way to change except firing one and starting over.

3. Wrong. There are many in Bali and Java and the agent must have a presence in the Immigration Authority where the retiree wishes to reside.
I would caution that many will tell you they are registered as agents but lie....check the registration number of the agency to ensure they are kosher and simply aren't trading and getting commission from a registered agent.

edit: I must have been typing when RonB responded but I concur with his post.

Last edited:
Re #1 - you can go from KITAS to KITAP after 3 years. You cannot renew the KITAS any further after the 5th year.
WHOA . Thats a new one for me.
So can you then start again? Not sure ill be here for 5 years anddont want to spend the 3000.us$ if only here another year
THANK YOU!!

WHOA . Thats a new one for me.
So can you then start again? Not sure ill be here for 5 years anddont want to spend the 3000.us$ if only here another year
THANK YOU!!

After the 5th Kitas it is possible to start the whole process all over again.
I'm 81 years old and will be doing that instead of paying the big bucks for an indefinite Kitap...if I survive to the end of my current Kitap....:Do_O

Has anyone been through the retirement kitap renewal process after 5 years ? bcs it would not surprise me if the authorized agent may not be looking for money again .

Has anyone been through the retirement kitap renewal process after 5 years ? bcs it would not surprise me if the authorized agent may not be looking for money again .

OK I'll buy a question...why would you not be surprised the agent 'may not be looking for money again'?

Indeed , so if they are charging 60 juta ++ for a lifetime pension kitap ,I wonder what they would charge for renewal ??

Just something iv thought about , thankfully doesnt affect me ,im on a married kitap.

Indeed , so if they are charging 60 juta ++ for a lifetime pension kitap ,I wonder what they would charge for renewal ??

Just something iv thought about , thankfully doesnt affect me ,im on a married kitap.

At present they would still be required to attain a MERP every two years...I doubt they will do that free of charge as the Gov't fee for a two year MERP is Rp1,750,000.

After the 5th Kitas it is possible to start the whole process all over again.
I'm 81 years old and will be doing that instead of paying the big bucks for an indefinite Kitap...if I survive to the end of my current Kitap....:Do_O
Thank you

Thank you I'm 75 and Counting and don't plan on being here for 10 years if I'm hopefully gone within the next 12 months I'll be a very happy camper

I have been told recently at imigrasi,that you can renew kitas 5 times,meaning a total of 6 yrs on ITAS.... also the law is if you have been married to an indonesian for 2 years ,you can immediately convert to ITAP from ITAS..sorry dont know the retirement agent lurks

I just looked at the Immigration website and under Limited Stay Permit it shows the validity as.....
http://www.imigrasi.go.id/index.php/en/layanan-publik/izin-tinggal-terbatas-itas#validity
  1. The Limited stay permit is granted for maximum 2 (two) years and is extendable.
  2. Extension of a KITAS is granted for up to 2 (two) years each time, with a maximum stay of six years.
Is this new as I never saw this before?
its not new,but depends on what itas you are getting,ie. wife sponsored,retirement etc. for most of us ,only 1year kitas is possible

its not new,but depends on what itas you are getting,ie. wife sponsored,retirement etc. for most of us ,only 1year kitas is possible

So do you know which Kitas gives a two year validity? It looks to me it covers all but the retirement Kitas which does say (special conditions apply) and we know it requires an agent to sponsor.

Back