Jazz cafe, Ubud

Ilu

Jul 27, 2006
Norland Norway, Banjar Bali
A just have a question to Roy or someone else who know about jazz cafe in ubud.
Is Balawan still playing? do he have any special week day thet he is playing?
I havent heard him live in 5 years :( , and I realy want to heare him this time.
I have also heard that he is playing somwere in sanur. is there someone who can help me? :)

Sanurian

Sep 28, 2004
Sanur
Hello, Ilu

I, too, am a big fan of Balawan.

I understand that he's been busy with his national and international schedule and am not sure if he's currently in Bali. I had a look at his "official website" but unfortunately, it's not up-to-date. Maybe you could have a look at it anyway at:

http://wayanbalawan.com/

You might find something of interest at this one, too:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... D=38023270

I've sent an email to his management to see if I can get some current news about his gigs. If and when I get a reply, I'll let you know.

:D

Ilu

Jul 27, 2006
Norland Norway, Banjar Bali
Hi Sanurian
Thank you for the information
I have already checked balawans home page. I can not open the other site.
Before I know Balawan, but we lose kontakt some years ago.
he has played in Norway 2 times, but I havent had the opurtunity to go and listen to him.

sambal

Nov 22, 2005
Kauai, Hawaii
Yeah I am a big fan of Balawan's too, what a guitarist ! He isn't playing The Jazz Cafe because of contractual restrictions it seems, he signed with Sony last year and they have their hooks in. His brother owns Cafe Warung Opera, I think I have the name right, they have a banner with a black cat on it. It's on the way out of Ubud going south on Jalan Hanoman just past that sharp S curve but before the new gas station that was going up. Seems he can play there, but it is sporadic as he is touring a lot, playing Jakarta & Singapore.

This info is current as of March '06 when I was there last, but I managed to catch him about once or twice a week during that period. He has a new (old now) album out "Magic Fingers" and another called "Balawan" that I liked much better. I would think that the folks at this cafe would know where to hear him since it is family.

sambal

Nov 22, 2005
Kauai, Hawaii
Ran across the buisness card for that club. It's called Warung Opera and it seems that Jalan Hanoman becomes Jalan Pengosekan as it leaves Ubud. The phone number is 0361-977564. Otherwise, the directions I gave you should get you there anyway, just keep your eyes open as you come out of that s-curve.