Is it safe?

G

Hey guys, I am traveling to Bali next week ( a last minute decision...I just got my ticket TODAY) from China. I am a white, American (sorry), woman traveling alone, 23 years old...will I be safe? I'm relatively street smart having lived in high crime areas all my life, but just wondering if there are any specific dangers that I should be aware of.

Also, any recommendations as to where I should stay for approx. $20 USD per night or less? A friend who lived in Bali for three years suggested I stay in the Semiyak or Legian area...any suggestions? Will it be easy to meet people? Thank for your help :D

Bert Vierstra

Nov 5, 2002
Homeless
RE: Is is safe?

Well, as you are street smart (wise?) things will be ok....

Bali is not a high crime area !!!

At 20 USD (around 180.000 rupiah) you will be able to find some homestay somewhere, no problem....

Easy to meet people, sure...

rhondo

Jun 18, 2005
California
RE: Is is safe?

8) Yes I think you can get a really lovely house for less than 20 per night. I would suggest staying in UBUD as it is beautiful and quiet, but has many things to see and do within walking distance. :) As far as safety goes it has more to do with your own propensity to do foolish things, like anywhere in the world. I think Bali, in general, is safe and people are quite nice. If you need a driver who will pick you up at the airport and take you to UBUD let me know. You can email me off the board. It will run you about 150-170 from the airport in Denpasar to UBUD, about a 45 minute affair of going from diesel and motorcyle smoke, and traffic too a beautiful piece of paradise.

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
GEEEZ, I HATE that question, “is it safe?” It has nothing to do with Bali, but rather the book and movie, The Marathon Man. What a torture....having your front teeth drilled straight on, and all the while being asked, “is it safe?” I didn’t go to a dentist for over three years after reading that book and seeing the movie.

Yes, Bali is a safe place, for the traveling young lady. Unlike Italy, where every guy may try to pinch your backside, the locals here (for the most part) are far more polite and reserved. If you are a fox...and what young lady isn’t, you might expect some “attention” but given what you said about your own “street smartness” Bali will seem like a cake walk. Have a great trip!

G

Thanks for the info ya'll. I was in no way implying that Bali is NOT safe...I just have no idea because I made the decision to go on such short notice and never really studied the culture there. I also wasn't saying it's a high crime area, just to clear that up...just saying that I've lived in such high crime areas that I can handle any news you give me. Thanks a lot and maybe I'll see you next week. :D

P.S. I apologize for being American because of that overgrown redneck in the white house who uses the world as his playground to carry on his large-scale cowboys and indians (excuse me, native Americans) game. He's embarassing.

Bert Vierstra

Nov 5, 2002
Homeless
Re: RE: Is it safe?

Anonymous said:
P.S. I apologize for being American because of that overgrown redneck in the white house who uses the world as his playground to carry on his large-scale cowboys and indians (excuse me, native Americans) game. He's embarassing.

No problem....

:p

Jim Thorpe

Nov 7, 2002
USA

Bert said:
Anonymous said:

No problem....

:p

I disagree.

But I do find it embarassing to watch U.S. citizens go on foreign travel boards to bad mouth the president, whether it is Clinton or Bush. If you carry your politics so far that it is prominent in your first post to strangers, then I suspect that you may have some problems in Bali. Many of the Balinese I have associated with like George Bush. The Balinese have their own "problems" with the Muslim world which makes them a little more tolerant of Bush's actions.

JAMIE

Apr 20, 2005
BERGEN COUNTY NJ USA
Im sick of americans without national pride , I agree that Im not a Bush fan , but Im proud to be an American ! Someday soon he'll be gone an hopefully we'll have a president who will act on the people will and not his/her own agenda , and then will you be a "proud American " . Roy when this string was posted the first thing I though of was Dustin Hoffman and a mouth full of dentist tools . neat movie .

rhondo

Jun 18, 2005
California
8) More important than politics when you travel is YOUR OWN BEHAVIOR....you do have control over that !
Why do you need an apology for being American. We are all citizens of this planet when our behavior changes so we see the bigger picture the outcome will change. :oops:

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
I have a dual citizenship, French and US. When I travel outside of France (obviously in France, I am French), when asked what nationality am I, I always answer "American." I don't ever remember having experienced a change in the welcoming attitude of my interlocutor(s) after declaring my citizenship. In Bali, I usally get a "bagus, ya."

Jim Thorp is right: the Balinese have no clue about US foreign policy, or are totally uninterested in it. It’s hard enough to have meaningful discussions with most of them about Indonesian domestic policies, although at the office, everybody reads the newspapers. Balinese couldn’t care less than, since 1890, the USA has been involved in 135 wars and interventions with/in foreign countries. :(

Jim Thorpe

Nov 7, 2002
USA
Tintin,
Respectfully, I didn't say that they don't have a clue about US foreign policy. I said that some of them like Bush. When I was over a few months ago, my driver went overboard talking about the Bali/Indonesia situation and was of the opinion, along with the guys we sat with in his village, that it was coming to the time of fighting the Muslims. They hoped that Australia, U.S. would help them. I suggested that they wouldn't get help from the west since many in the U.S. no longer agree that dark skinned people need to be free.

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
"Jim Thorp is right: the Balinese have no clue about US foreign policy, or are totally uninterested in it. It’s hard enough to have meaningful discussions with most of them about Indonesian domestic policies...."

With due respect Daniel, I think that phrase would be more accurate if it read, “the majority the Balinese have no clue about US foreign policy, or are totally uninterested in it.”

As we know, there are quite a number of Balinese who have been educated in the states, or, with degrees earned elsewhere, follow world politics with interest.

Jim, as I hope you recall from your last trip, and meeting my family, there was no Bush support to be found there...or at Naughty Nuri’s either. Eri and I look forward to your next visit. :!:

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
I think that phrase would be more accurate if it read, “the majority the Balinese have no clue about US foreign policy, or are totally uninterested in it.”

I agree. My original statement reflects a poor choice of words on my part. :oops:

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
I can never understand the original question. Does the question get posted on say visit America, England, Germa, French sites. Or is it just about the Bali Bombings. Even if it is there has been bombings and violence in those countries also.

The answer is of course no where in this world is safe 100% but the way you approach the country will help but of course it is still not 100%. Even in you own home, bed, city and country this applies.

Enjoy life, travel and meet people is my answer...but with common sense.

Jim Thorpe

Nov 7, 2002
USA
Roy,
I remember a good part of the night but the end was a little fuzzy.:) But you are right, I sure don't remember any support for Bush from your group. You remember me driver? His family and villagers manly supported Bush in his "war on terror". They were happy that someone was standing up to the Muslims and they went out of their way to let me know they supported it. I was surprised to hear it! But it was leading up to the discussion that you and I already talked about....
I have found support for Bush in unusual places and lack of support in unusual places. I don't agree with all his policies but neither do I disagree with all of them either.....

matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali

Jim Thorpe said:
I suggested that they wouldn't get help from the west since many in the U.S. no longer agree that dark skinned people need to be free.

JT,
Can you clarify what you mean by this statement?

:?

a leap of faith

Jun 19, 2006
UK

matsaleh said:
Jim Thorpe said:
I suggested that they wouldn't get help from the west since many in the U.S. no longer agree that dark skinned people need to be free.

JT,

Yes I was wondering that too.

But you know.. I have found discussing politics with Americans such a totally bewildering experience I decided to bite my lip!

charlie

Aug 9, 2005
unhappily in sydney

a leap of faith said:
matsaleh said:
[quote="Jim Thorpe":2dj7m8m8] I suggested that they wouldn't get help from the west since many in the U.S. no longer agree that dark skinned people need to be free.

JT,

Yes I was wondering that too.

But you know.. I have found discussing politics with Americans such a totally bewildering experience I decided to bite my lip![/quote:2dj7m8m8]

I'm with you there ...

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Jim, I “hear you” but another side of what you might hear from Balinese here, especially those in the tourist business, is what they think you want to hear.

Please don’t take this the wrong way, as though I am painting you a fool. That is not at all what I mean.

If one considers the extreme restraint the Balinese showed, after two terrorist bombings in Bali, (the last one this past October), having the greatest negative impact on Bali tourism, then a person, even one who is not deeply involved with the Balinese, has to sit back and wonder.

The Balinese have no interest in “fighting Islam” and they recognize that this small extremist group, operating within Indonesia does NOT reflect the Islamic ideas or faith of their brothers and sisters that they engage within the national anthem of “unity in diversity.”

I could be very wrong, but I interpreted Jim’s comment, “I suggested that they wouldn't get help from the west since many in the U.S. no longer agree that dark skinned people need to be free” very literally. Personally, I would not express my sentiments in those words without adding the caveat...unless they have oil...and a whole lot of it.