internet cafe'

froggy

Sep 22, 2006
Houston, Texas
Another internet cafe' ,, well, I can either sell all 20 computers or try shipping them over 1 at a time as a "gift" I will leave the gaming programm behind as it will serve no purpose,, any ideas for a location? ubud has at least 3 locations, but the equipment is old and slow, these are all new and fairly powerfull,im open for ideas, I will get my kitas in line as I hate to do visa runs!!! yuk! I will also run a little travel agency out of said location, comments welcome....Frog

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
Best of luck Froggy. Without putting a dampner on your plans those are two very competitive areas you have chosen as a business venture and even if you put the efficiency into them that you believe is missing it will take a lot of time for this to bring in business.

Good luck

froggy

Sep 22, 2006
Houston, Texas
Thx Jimbo....Sure, Everything is competative there.............. I know from personal experiance (on a few occasions) that it is very difficult to make an itenerary out of Bali to another destination, and return. Especially if you add in transfers, hotel packages, visa's for countries being entered.... the travel agent I used did not even have a computer... When I went to China I was forced to use an agency out of Hong Kong as this was out of the realm of the local agent I tried to use...... but what do I know.... thats why I am asking for more info,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I also observed a local visa agency in action a few times, they were very,very confused............ just my 2 cents.... Just trying to get a plan together before I get there, unlike the last time...........

FreoGirl

Dec 21, 2004
Fremantle, Australia
Froggy said
but the equipment is old and slow

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isnt the speed of the 'equipment' not that relevant when it comes to the internet - really what you need is a decent connection speed. You don't need a powerful processor and lots of ram to run IE7, so I'm not sure what is the competitive edge?

The other thing you might consider Froggy is a computer hire business. If your equipment is reasonably up to date it could be an option. YOu might want to look into some imaging software so you can quickly rebuild machines after they come back in.

froggy

Sep 22, 2006
Houston, Texas
Im really not saying that I am trying to "compete" or be competative,,, but, it is what it is, good service , nice ambiance, new flat screens, the rest will take care of itself The "highway" commands a higher price due to the fact they have little nicer ambiance etc.... Which by my standards is not really "nice" at all..... All my equipment is paid for, so anything coming in would be more than welcome...... Im not 100% sure but if your computer is newer and faster it may perform a bit better than another one? I have no idea what imaging software is and why they would need to be rebuilt? A rental would seem to need to be a laptop as they are easily transported etc???....... Hey I could just sell them all, and bring the cash, but again , I want, and I need a little work there..........I sound like a new poster,, hahaha........... screw it, it sounds like a hassle, I will bring one bag and my sandles, eat tiny crabs I catch and bum beer off the drunk tourist.

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Good grief Froggy...didn’t your first outing over here teach you anything? An internet café and travel agency? And, you’re thinking of this in Ubud? You’ve gotta be kidding!

Unless you’re willing to shell out $100,000 needed to start up a PMA, you will need an Indonesian partner. Have you got one? If you don’t, how are you planning to arrange for a kitas while still in the states?

Ubud has plenty of internet cafes, and travel agents too, for that matter. More and more hotels have internet access in the guest rooms, so as time goes on, internet cafes will likely go the same route as drive in movie theaters.

For sure if you throw enough darts at the dart board, sooner or later one will hit the bullseye, but what if you don’t have enough darts? :shock:

Bert Vierstra

Nov 5, 2002
Homeless
Frog, there are people living from the internet, also in Bali ;)

But be a bit original, or much better in doing the same 8)

Remember this:

bali-expat-forum-f2/retirement-plan-lovina-t21033.html

?

I signed up at Dreamhost for 10 years with almost unlimited storage and unlimited domains for about USD 800 or something....

froggy

Sep 22, 2006
Houston, Texas
AHHH , kinda like the pay phone, gotcha Roy...... maybe I will manufacture custom darts so I never run out,,,, you are welcome to send me a pm and throw any ideas what you would do with 30k U.S..... Btw, what did you do when you first arrived in bali, look how it progressed, not doing that bad for yourself.. :mrgreen: ... I have a few online ideas

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
Keep living the dream froggy :D A serious suggestion would be to use the money you have to rent a cheap place and then have a serious look round for opportunities. You do not have enough capital to start up a business and have living expenses......unless you can think of a way to get an immediate return on capital.

Think of visa's first and good luck.

froggy

Sep 22, 2006
Houston, Texas
I just bought a passport that claims im 56, hahaha.. and I have bank papers that show im worth a million bucks..(just kidding).. I have a couple of online things cooking that I can start here, I do need an employee or a helper there to help me, really easy work, just buying and shipping//// my buisness here is picking up daily and should really kick off when the Northerners come down for the winter, I may wait , save some cash untill march or so, it looks like it may take a little time, but it will be worth the wait... R........................Roy, I really do appeciate all the help you have provided, if I do make this move it will be with my 12 year old and possibly Molly .. Or Molly will visit twith extended stays, Robin has no problem with this as she knows she will be safe... Frog

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Froggy, I’ve already been down this road of advice and suggestions for you while you were last here. So were many others, (expats here in Bali) that remember you.

You didn’t listen then, so why should I, or anyone else, (expats here in Bali) think you will listen now?

Jimbo is right. 30k is nowhere near enough, and as I recall, you blew through a like sum last time you were here in Bali in less than five months.

From my own point of view, a lot more seriousness on your part is what it will it will take to get any more serious answers.

froggy

Sep 22, 2006
Houston, Texas
I understand where you are coming from Roy, really I do.... I plan on finding a small tiny cheap "FURNISHED" place, maybe even share a place, I wasnt very work orientated , I had a lot of disstractions, like a wife and kids! Robin was freaked out being there...... I do not recall ( not saying that anyone didnt) anyone pointing me in any direction for employment there, things were unprepared, not thought out, and under financed with the load I had,,,, but those things seem to be the norm in my life and I do not see vast changes on the horizon, If I were to wait to be properly prepaired, I would never leave the house... I deal with it and "TRY" to learn as I go...... My life here isnt Bad at all, I live right on the beach, have 2, yes two girlfriends that ,,Well I wil save more of that story for later......... but life here seems like the movie groundhog day its repetative partying wears on my patience as this isle is full of drug addicts and true Drunks...... I write here to just voice a few thoughts, I would not just show up in Bali with cash in hand and a thirst for a Bintang... I will plan a little.........Frog

Dasha

Aug 9, 2006
Mornington Peninsula Melbourne
Frog ribitt

Sorry for the long delay.

Just read this post. Your concept is very good. POC might be a little tricky. I think Karren (speed of equipment )Jimbo (keep living the dream) and Roy (100k start up fee) are right.
I am picturing that flash presentation you sent 3 weeks ago working above the bar near the CNN all day TV at Brian’s (naughty N’s) somewhere near the Bintang cold draught tap.

Don’t leave the gaming program behind. In fact install it in that new place right beside and feed off the bus loads that turn up there from Japan just to eat the spare ribs on the footpath. Last time we turned up with Mats and Phil they were wrecking that place next door so I assume it is right for Frog’s gambling house. A first for Ubud.

Just an idea. :shock:

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
Looking forward to hearing about your venture. I read a good post on another forum about setting up an internet cafe in the Philippines. Not sure if I can post it here, or I can send the details to anyone interested.