Interested in moving to Bali

Ziggy

Dec 15, 2004
England
Hi
To all, I am currently looking for advice, information as im thinking about moving to Indonesia, Bali in particular!
I will be coming with my partner Tracey who is expecting in June and our 3 year old son Jack.
We are both professionals , Tracey is a Mounted Police Officer while i work in Procurement in the Aerospace industry! Obviously theres a lot of things we will have to look into, but just at the moment just looking for general advice!
I have a brother who lives on Gilli Air just off Lombok, he's been there about a year but he's single with no kids so his advice maybe not as good as someone who maybe in the same situation as ourselves!

So all advice is welcome1

Thanks

Jen

Apr 17, 2004
Sydney
I would suggest you go and stay a while first. Suss out people, places and things first. Speak to expats, read the expat newspapers, look for
international companies that have a base Indonesia, speak to their Human Resource department and check the liklihood of transferring to Indonesia.

You have a lot of decisions to think about. Visas, housing, transport, schooling etc etc etc.

It's difficult to answer a post like this. It sounds like you have never been and just on a whim, threw it out there, that you might like a seachange.

Can I ask why Indonesia? Have you contacts/family there, worked there before?

What does your job involve, sounds interesting!

Jen

Apr 17, 2004
Sydney
Sorry just re read that you have a brother on one of the Gili's.

Yes, it would be hard to compare Gili to Bali or the rest of Indonesia, obviously due to size and the limitations on work etc & also your needs vary greatly to his.

Ziggy

Dec 15, 2004
England
we both realise that we need to come out soon on a fact finding mission. Just wanted to gather as much information as possible beforehand. It is sort of a snap decision thats why im after as much info as possible from other families that have made the move!

We have both led our lives with the same motto! " If your not happy....do something about it"

There are a thousand and one reasons why we want to leave the rat race, and no doubt a thousand and two reasons of why not!
And of course just because you leave the race it doesnt mean that your no longer a rat!

Just looking for guidence !

Ohh my job consists of buying parts for the manufacture of military helicopters from suppliers around the world. Chasing them when they dont deliver on time!

zenfish

Oct 22, 2004
USA
Ziggy... I have a friend named Ziggy. Can I interrogate you about your personal etemology? Also while I'm be intrusively personal... is it your plan to have your new baby in Bali or not move until after s/he's born? I imagine that good pediatricians are a parents concern regardless of kiddies' age but finding an ob/gyn (or midwife)... on top of moving sounds extra stressful. But maybe that's just me, listening to the soothing symphony of my hardening ovaries.

--G.L. AKA zenfish

Ziggy

Dec 15, 2004
England
we plan to have the Baby here in england and then have some 2-3 week holidays to suss out everything first before we commit to anything!

maybe rent for a year and possibly have something built when we have found the place we would like to call home.