samsiam

Feb 2, 2014
Countries have their own martial art that they have either developed, or adopted and perhaps modified it a bit.

China Kung Fuey, Korea TKD, Thailand kick boxing, Australia drinking etc

What is Indo's speciality ?

ferdie

Apr 4, 2013
Near Ubud
Pencak silat is a broad description of martial art in Indonesian.
Just like the Chinese called martial art as kungfu

Unlike the more dynamic TKD or karate, the main stream pencak silat looks so boring and slow.
The interesting part is when you train it in the advance level, some of them combine it with a spiritual teaching/religion or philosophy or breathing technique :icon_wink:

Last edited:

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
to watch the dancing is "boring", imho that is...
doing it (pencak silat) demands a lot of muscle control, streangth, co-ordination and such, so the training part can't be boring.
but as it is for kids, then it's all about who's teaching them...(boring-factor depends on how something is teached/learned).

ferdie

Apr 4, 2013
Near Ubud
Gilbert, believe me I understand about that, I gave out that comment because for most westerners, pencak silat is not so different with taichi.
They are less flashy and took longer time to develop :icon_wink:

klaatu

Mar 14, 2014
Blimbingsari banyuwangi and Denpasar
Watched a chinese movie last night where a kungfu guru has a boxing match with an Englishman (with gloves)..in the end the chinaman wins by poking him in the eyes.The crowd was so proud of his win..Then again the pom was a complete arsehole