Indonesia Duty-Free import regulations

SanurGirl

Oct 22, 2007
Sanur
I just came in from Hong Kong and don't normally bring any duty-free items. However, because of the recent unavailability in Bali, I decided to bring a couple bottles with me. Specifically, a bottle of Campari and a bottle of white wine which I purchased at CLK. Upon arrival at DPS I had a huge problem with customs, who would only allow me to enter with 1 bottle. I was, of course, offered the Indonesian solution but am not so inclines and so left the Campari with customs with a wish that they would enjoy!
As a matter of interest, and I do fully understand that this may have no relevance to the way things actually work (Or not) here, could anyone kindly advise what the legal limits actually are? Most countries allow 1 bottle of liquer and 1 bottle of wine and this was the opinion of the DFS staff in HKG for Indonesia also,
Does anyone understand what is behind this lack of wine in Bali now?

widder

Jul 16, 2007
Tulamben
www.chiliandgamalan.com
Hi SanurGirl, it's one litre, regardless of whether it's wine or spirits. I had exactly the same problem, brought with me 1 ltr scotch and 1 bottle of wine. Only in my case I was allowed to keep both bottles without having to pay extra.

BaliLife

Mar 27, 2007
mmm.. a small bribe would've got that bottle of campari through :( oh well, admire your principles...

ct

Sanurian

Sep 28, 2004
Sanur
Halo, SanurGirl

As widder said, the "official limit" is still a measly one litre. There are ways around this, but one needs "contacts", etc (strictly speaking, illegal, of course).
I usually bring in a couple of bottles...an expensive one and a disposable one, just in case. A lot depends upon who is on duty at the time.
...Does anyone understand what is behind this lack of wine in Bali now?...
The recent imported alcohol shortage had to do with some major importers not paying their licence fees on time and a proliferation of fake tax stamps. To my knowledge, this has finally been "resolved" and most foreign drinks are available again.

As for imported wines...there's not really a shortage, as such; rather a shortage of reasonably priced ones, unless you know the right outlets.
A search through this forum's Archives will give you some more clues.

:D

colin mcphee jr.

Nov 15, 2007
USA
I know there's a wine store (or used to be?) in Kerobokan - across the street where the jail is.

They also sell some wines in Bali Deli in Jl. Kunti in Seminyak.

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
It would seen that for tax purposes wine is considered the same as sprits as they both cost about the same which makes wine expensive.
A great pity for me as I much prefer wine.