Indonesia’s tourism — a national tragedy

spicyayam

This article in the JP is an interesting read. If you read through some of the comments, most of them point to the problem with the visa system. Give people a free 3 month visa tourist visa on arrival, and I am sure the numbers will increase overnight.

In the last 12 years to 2007, tourist numbers fluctuated between 4 million and 5 million visitors. The average length of stay has declined, from 10 days in 1997 to barely 8.5 days in 2008. Worst yet is how Indonesia compares with neighboring Singapore, Thailand and Malaysia, which last year attracted 10 million, 15 million and 22 million visitors respectively.

How can such a huge discrepancy occur? How is it that Indonesia, brimming with such wealth in culture and natural beauty, attracts only a quarter of the tourists that basically barren Malaysia does?

This tragedy seems to have its source in the early 1980s, when Indonesia, strapped for funds, pointed to already world-famous Bali as its tourist cash cow. Since then, little has changed. As a result, Indonesia’s tourist attraction has been practically limited to Bali, with devastating consequences.

Tourists overflow in quantum leaps to Bali, creating an explosion of infrastructure requirements that visibly erode the natural environment.

The overconcentration of tourists in Bali has not only brought an unmanageable overflow of visitors to the island — often the wrong types who cannot appreciate the unique local culture and natural environment — but has also led to an utter neglect of the other many equally attractive tourist spots throughout the archipelago.

Fabulous sites such as Borobudur, Yogyakarta, Toraja, Bunaken and Ujung Kulon, for instance, have been practically left unheeded. Such complacency has a high price, as can been seen from the destructive erosion that the overcrowding of tourists has brought to Bali’s culture and environment, and how it has stagnated Indonesia’s other richly diverse tourist destinations.

How bad have these other destinations stagnated? Here are a few horrifying statistics:

Borobudur, that World Cultural Heritage icon, was only able to muster about 85,000 foreign tourists last year, compared to more than 1 million by the more recently discovered Angkor Wat in Cambodia.

Toraja these last few years has only attracted an average of about 5,000 overseas tourists a year.

Bunaken averaged only about 10,000 foreign visitors a year for as long as one can remember, versus more than 4 million for the similar Pattaya in Thailand.

Ujung Kulon, with its rare one-horned rhino, can only claim an average of 6,000 combined domestic and foreign tourists a year.

A fast recovery is imperative here and the condition for this is a complete change in mind-set. The first order of the day is for President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono to declare tourism a national priority and for central and regional authorities as well as the government and the private sector to work hand in hand in this effort. This needs to be followed by a preliminary phase of quick-win activities rejuvenating tourist destinations that have so far languished but need only small improvements to boost them back.

Borobudur, for instance, can be brought back to full splendor by relocating the street vendors who have been encroaching on the temple grounds and harassed visitors from fully enjoying this beautiful temple/monastery. Toraja can also attract far more tourists by repairing its forsaken airfield so that visitors can arrive there within 45 minutes from Makassar and avoid the perilous 10-hour journey through steep mountains.

As for Ujung Kulon, tourist numbers can easily rise to more than a million there within a very short time if regular and safe sea transportation is made available from Jakarta. There are other fabulous places besides those mentioned above currently suffering from lack of attention, such as Mount Bromo, Yogyakarta and Komodo Island, which only need small touches to turn them quickly into major tourist destinations while easing the pressure on overcrowded Bali.

The quick-win phase should be followed by a longer-term buildup of other tourist sites nationwide, which will require more infrastructure investment to put them on the travel map. These sites are currently still relatively unfamiliar places, but have the potential to offer inherently unique attractions and help sustain the long-term development of Indonesia’s tourist industry.

Such places include Trowulan and Kota Gede for historical interests, Banda Naira and Raja Ampat for spectacular surfing, and the Baliem Valley and Waikabubak for unparalleled ethnic experiences. There are many other such tourist sites and they can be offered in clusters of similar attractions to make the trip for tourists richer and more diverse.

Both during the quick-win and long-term phases, the tourism recovery effort has to be supported by appropriately directed promotional campaigns with a common national branding. Malaysia has its “Truly Asia”, India its “Incredible” claim while Singapore and Thailand have respectively dubbed themselves “Uniquely Singapore” and “Amazing Thailand”. Branding is important to position the country concerned at the top of mind of would—be tourists while also filtering the right tourists who can appreciate what that country offers.

Increased arrivals of tourists, who show their appreciation of the local specialties, will make the local people proud of their heritage and motivate them to strengthen it further, which in turn will bring even more like-minded tourists. This will result in an upward spiral of tourists and local people hand in hand strengthening the traditional inheritance of the land.

A successful tourism program can have many priceless benefits for Indonesia, including making it the most diverse tourist destination in the world, providing it with a sustainable and environmentally clean source of revenue larger than any of its current ones, and bringing overall prosperity to the people throughout the archipelago (and not just Bali) through grassroots empowerment and self-sustenance.

These are huge potentials that Indonesia should strive its best to realize, as the rewards for their successes are just too great to forego.

http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2010 ... agedy.html

GIlbert - Sorry but having a whole poem in your signature is rather distracting. Especially in a thread where you have posted often, the whole page is full of the poem! :)

mimpimanis said:
GIlbert - Sorry but having a whole poem in your signature is rather distracting. Especially in a thread where you have posted often, the whole page is full of the poem! :)

I was too, Mimpimanis, at least a -thank you- for 'signature-ing', G.

Spicy, I wonder if a free visa would attract significant more (short term < 1 month) tourists. People choose a destiny and paying for a visa is not a budget breaking thing to them (that's my guess)
Thailand has this free visa-thing until March 2010. I wonder if it has attracted more tourists...

But for long term tourists/travelers, yes, it definetely would be big plus. Not only for the Rups, but also no need to think about the visa-extension/-run etc.

I wonder if a free visa would attract significant more (short term < 1 month) tourists. People choose a destiny and paying for a visa is not a budget breaking thing to them (that's my guess)

I don't mind so much to pay for a visa, but if it is a hassle getting one, I will just decide to go somewhere else.

Now the 6 day visa has been cancelled, $25 might be a lot for someone coming to Bali from Singapore or Malaysia just for a few days.

I do think if Indonesia had a tourist visa for 90 days, it would help people to travel to more remote parts of the country. 30 days (even now if it is extendable) is too short in this country particularly since travel can sometimes be really slow.

Of course it is not just the visa situation that is a problem here, general infrastructure needs to be improved.

spicyayam said:
I wonder if a free visa would attract significant more (short term < 1 month) tourists. People choose a destiny and paying for a visa is not a budget breaking thing to them (that's my guess)

I don't mind so much to pay for a visa, but if it is a hassle getting one, I will just decide to go somewhere else.

Now the 6 day visa has been cancelled, $25 might be a lot for someone coming to Bali from Singapore or Malaysia just for a few days.

I do think if Indonesia had a tourist visa for 90 days, it would help people to travel to more remote parts of the country. 30 days (even now if it is extendable) is too short in this country particularly since travel can sometimes be really slow.

Of course it is not just the visa situation that is a problem here, general infrastructure needs to be improved.

Ah...oh...ohke...I hadn't thought about the few days trippers...I totally agree.
Me too, I don't mind the paying, but thinking about the visa during the stay takes a lot of time and mindspace. Malaysia's visa system is much nicer.

Totally agree with the article. Knowing Toraja and having made that 10 hour journey many many times a refurbished airport would be great but then the whole area needs a decent infrastructure not just an airport but hotels, roads, places to eat etc

I don't think that Indonesia's rather convoluted visa practices are the only things putting some people off from visiting the country. Perceptions about "safety", whether real or imaginary, are also important.

Media coverage about "Sharia Police gang-raping" a young woman in Banda Aceh doesn't exactly paint a pretty picture. Nor stories about the poor teenage couple who were arrested for stealing a few bananas. Or the 73 year-old man who also pinched some bananas - he's seen as a "repeat offender", because he was caught stealing a chicken four years ago. Better lock him up, right?

Some powerful Indonesians have stolen entire rain forests but seem to be above the law. ("Seven years jail" for nicking some bananas doesn't apply to them.)

IMHO, the Indonesian government should simplify the basic visas (Tourist/Social) and by doing so, remove any opportunities for money-under-the-table nonsense. That it hasn't done so, so far, suggests something less than a total attack on the endemic corruption.

The two biggest groups of international tourists, at the moment, are Japanese and Australians.

The Japanese are unlikely to be impressed by recent reports of two Japanese women brutally raped and murdered here.

Some Australians might be outraged by plans to build a new bar/restaurant on the site of Ground Zero in Kuta (the bombed Sari Club).

I think that "Indonesia" should do some serious cleaning up of its overseas' image. Not just dream about about increasing the numbers of tourists (both domestic and foreign), with an already overstressed "infrastructure".

Did I forget to mention censorship? Like the Balibo and 2012 movies?

Sorry.

:roll:

There were groups calling for a ban, but I don't think it was actually banned. In the international media though people tend to hear "2012 movie", "indonesia" "banned". I do agree with JC that many people have an image that Indonesia is unsafe for travel.

http://thejakartaglobe.com/home/cinemas-full-as-indonesia-continues-debating-2012/342506

Makers of the Hollywood disaster movie “2012” found themselves an unlikely ally in the Ministry of Religious Affairs on Wednesday, with a senior official saying the film had the potential to increase religious values.

The hit film has been criticized by some religious groups for a range of reasons, with the latest critics being a group of elementary school students from Bandung, who on Wednesday set fire to pirated DVD copies of the film — something the filmmakers would no doubt be thankful for.

Rifki, one of the students, said the end of the world could not be determined by man because it was God’s secret. “Nobody knows about the end of days, not even prophets or angels,” Rifki told okezone.com.

Nasaruddin Umar, the ministry’s director general for mass guidance on Islam, said the film was only a work of imagination, “and imagination can be said to be in the human domain.”

He said that it could be beneficial for people to focus on the fact the world would one day come to an end and so “become more
religious.”

However, he added that a potential negative of the film was that it could lead people to change their religion.

The Indonesian Council of Ulema (MUI) branch in Malang, East Java, was the first to condemn the film, issuing a fatwa because it considered the movie “improper and misleading.”

The MUI’s Surakarta branch then called for a ban on the film, currently playing to full houses around the country, because in one scene people are seen taking refuge in the Vatican as the apocalypse unfolds. In the movie, however, the Vatican is destroyed.

On Wednesday, MUI chairman Amidhan said the Indonesian Film Censorship Board should edit parts of “2012” or it would submit a recommendation to the government to withdraw the movie from cinemas.

Amidhan objected to one scene in the movie that showed a collapsed mosque, saying there were no images of destroyed churches.
“[The film] shouldn’t be prejudiced against certain religions, for instance, images showing the destruction of mosque-like structures, or the Kaaba,” Amidhan said. “There were mosques [destroyed] but no churches,” Amidhan said.

“Yes, I have seen the movie,” he added.

Nasaruddin acknowledged the film might raise sensitive issues. “However, the doomsday [subject] of this film is not new. We have seen ‘Armageddon’ and other [similar] movies. We didn’t react like this before.”

Hasyim Muzadi, chairman of Nahdlatul Ulama, Indonesia’s largest Muslim organization, said there was no need to make a fuss over the movie.

“Let’s just leave it to what [our] religion says, that there is no way anyone can predict when doomsday will happen,” Hasyim said.

“I think we first need to see what the film is all about and if it is just depicting doomsday in 2012 or is it determining that doomsday will happen in 2012,” Hasyim said. He added that he had no objections if the film was just a depiction of what a doomsday scenario might look like.

Thanks Spicy - I hadn't been aware of that. I have to say i couldn't think why it would be banned when I ready Johnny's post.

Back