Independence Day August 17th

UluwatuWaves

Jun 30, 2006
Norfolk, VA at the moment
Hey everyone just got back from the beach in north carolina. Had a great time and the weather was lovely. i was in a conversation about Bali with a friend of mine from College and he was telling me that independence day (aug. 17th) in Bali is not really a big deal for the balinese. Is that the case? Is independence day celebrated there on the scale that it is celebrated here in the USA or even in the capital Jakarta. Is it a national holiday in indonesia? Do they have large fireworks displays, parades, carnivals, and things for young kids to get involved with. Are there lots of parties and festivities? It would be great if someone could describe to me there experiences on Bali during the independence day celebration. I would think it would be a big deal, but my friend kept on convincing me that the Balinese people don't really celebrate that day like lets say americans or other nationals may their independence. Looking forward to hearing your alls responses.

drbruce

Feb 12, 2004
singaraja, bali
cyberbali.com
When we were living in Bali, the kids did just what Bert has said and shown - a one day shot, but one that was prepared for weeks in advance. (You get used to being slowed down in the Singaraja area by long lines of school children, social and political organizations, and others practicing their marching skills.

Here in Sekongkang, last year the local authorities started a week long celebration which included dances, speeches, marches, etc. I made a movie of the whole thing, but it's way to long to put on line. This year, it seems that we will be doing the same thing. With not much entertainment here, the 17th activities give everyone something to do for a week.