in the Hospital

Bert Vierstra

Nov 5, 2002
Homeless
Today Kevin, the son of my wife's sister was admitted to the hospital. (With my permission, because I have to pay ;) ) We didn't have time to bring him, so my father in law et all brought him.

When we visited him in the hospital later, my father in law (50) was holding Kevin who had a drip attached to his little foot, while other family was lying around him (half asleep), and he was rocking Kevin in such a clumsy but gentle way, that it touched me in a special way. I can't explain, but this sight would not have been possible anywhere else, but in this chaotic, to western standards rather dirty hospital in Bali.

Later today Dewi came into my office, where I was listening to Bruckner (helps me to stay sane) and she said she wanted to know what I felt.

I said something about me being an reincarnation from the 19th century, and realized that when she asked me this, the smell of Baygon turned into the nicest perfume. Only in Bali people, only in Bali.

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Nice post Bert. I hope everything goes well for Kevin. Just curious, how did he get that name as Dewi's sister is Balinese?

chilli

Apr 24, 2008
I hope too that Kevin is alright.

a very touching post Bert, it reflects your depth and sensitivity, nice one :)

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
The ups and downs of life Bert. It is amazing just how something can strike you. I hope Kevin gets better soon.

I have a photo of my father in law who died sometime ago. I could never communicate with him as I did not speak his language but every time I saw him I got the same feeling as you did in that moment.

chilli

Apr 24, 2008
Hi Bert, it is very warm of you to invite us into such an intimate moment shared with your family in hospital.

I am honoured to have been invited into your world like this.. little Kevin looks well, good news.

Bert Vierstra

Nov 5, 2002
Homeless
And there is more :)

Here the bills for two days of hospitalization:

One bill for the medication, and one for the room and other hospital matters, such as nurses and dokters...

Attachments

• kwitantie-1.jpg
    kwitantie-1.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 161
  • kwitantie-obat.jpg
    kwitantie-obat.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 158

chilli

Apr 24, 2008
well this IS cheap compared to hospital in australia,,
what is it about $122.00 AUD.. ?

chilli

Apr 24, 2008
Sorry, plus $79.00 AUD.. i only saw the one bill, but there are two.

expensive for Bali ?

Bert Vierstra

Nov 5, 2002
Homeless
No, total is 125 AUD, one bill is a specification, and included in the other one.

Its normal I guess. You have different classes, and this was lowest class I guess.

Dewi remembered from another time that Dokters visit in a higher class was something like 90.000, and this Dokter was only 20.000 per visit....

BaliLife

Mar 27, 2007
i once took my 18 m.o. daughter to the emergency room in gubeng, surabaya because i thought she was having an allergic reaction to something.. after the cross-eyed "doctor" gave me his diagnosis, the prescribed self-mixed medication and the ER bill, i paid the bill and left the hospital chuckling to myself.. the bill was 25,000 rp (about US$2.50) - now that might sound cheap, but the doctor was an idiot.. needless to say i tossed the concoction he'd provided and gave my daughter some claritin and she was fine..

i can't remember exactly what he was going on about (and my wife's asleep so i can't ask her right now) - but it was funny.. don't get me wrong, there are many great doctors in indo, i'm sure and we have complete faith in my wife's family's gp (a very blunt old man) - but this dude at the ER was so random, i remember thinking "perhaps the real doctor called in sick today so his driver's filling in"..

now, 3 weeks ago, i had to take my mother in law to the ER here in vancouver - st. pauls.. her stomach was in a lot of pain and she couldn't "pass anything" :? ... well, a "southern tip flush out" (the big E) was required.. it took about 45 minutes (25 minutes waiting) and incurred the standard non-resident consultation fee... CAD $700.. ouch! but unlike you bert i wasn't so gracious as to pick up the tab :wink:

ct