import dogs into Bali?

nelis

Dec 26, 2003
Hi,
I would like to know if it is possible to import dogs from Australia into Bali.
What is the procedure?
Jogry & Nelis

Uuuuh.... please excuse my ignorance.
I just wonder whether you are aware of the Bali street dogs?
Of the limping, half-dead kind
-- the hairless, boil-covered, too far gone to whimper kind?

Bagus! A nice beefy Rott, a sleek fawn Weimaraner, or a cute little Chihuahua here and there would turn a few heads around the outskirts of Ubud.

G

lots of people here prefer well-breed dogs rather than balinese dogs or "street-dogs". why not? i know pleanty of people who own german shepherd, golden retriver, rottweiler and other fine dogs here. were i live we have 4 dogs (all balinese) and only one of them is blessed with a good character. i don't know the procedure to import but i'll ask next time i pop by the petstore. :wink:

nelis

Dec 26, 2003
dogs

Hi,
Thanks for all your answers. I asked the question because the gentleman who took over our dogs 3 years ago cannot look after them anymore.
I thought perhaps I could have them back and take them with me to Bali,
Neli & Jogry

Tracey

Mar 26, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
Nelis,
I thought you meant bringing dogs in to Bali to sell. Not your own personal dogs... I am certain it can be done, but have no idea on prices...

Driver I know there are heaps of Western dogs there & each time I am back in Bali I notice even more... I guess there could be a market, as the Western dogs are probably just interbreeding & interbreeding which can't be good long term...
But I don't know if there should be dogs bred especially to import into Bali... There are so many dogs there laready & if looked after, flead, wormed & fed as we do in the West with our Pets the Bali dogs can be beautiful... Not that I ahve seen many, but my Husbands family bought a puppy for our daughter 3 years ago & we make sure it get's checked flea bathed etc & fed so she is quite pretty & healthy looking... They also have 2 pekingese which they were given, these are also very nice looking dogs & well looked after.

ktee

Mar 25, 2004
We too would be interested in the process and price of bringing our dog over to Sumbawa from Perth, WA. (presumably the same process as Bali).

And certainly, the assurity of being able to keep the dog fit and healthy would impact on that decision. A concern is the lack of vetinary support per chance it was needed...

Thanks
KT

drbruce

Feb 12, 2004
singaraja, bali
cyberbali.com
I couldn't tell you about bringing in a dog from Perth to Sumbawa, but it's a real pain to bring one in from Bali. We brought our German Shepard pup over in August and had to have all sorts of papers. We eventually used an agent in Mataram to deal with all of it. A neighbor here imports horses from Bali and she recommended him. According to my wife he was quite good.

antje

Apr 22, 2004
bali/germany
we have 4 dogs (all balinese) and only one of them is blessed with a good character.

They all have a great character(!). I'm a dogtrainer and behaviorist and I saw never bevor better dogs. I love to work with Bali dogs, they are smart, and very easy to train.....
Angie