How "safe" is a woman alone in Bali?

Jtsa

May 23, 2010
I have read things that say there is not much violence in Bali. I am a very early retiree, and not looking for a job. I am looking for natural beauty and less stress (than the USA), and yet I understand the bureaucracy is pretty frustrating there. I would like to feel free to wander alone if I want to. I would not be wearing jewelry or carrying much cash on me. How safe are my belongings in a hotel or other rental home? Any info would be much appreciated!

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
I think Bali is a pretty safe place, probably safer than many western countries. Home robberies are pretty common though. You shouldn't have a problem in your hotel as most of them have pretty good security. If you rent a house, you will need to check that the windows, locks etc are secure.

cabaicabai

May 19, 2010
I reckon Bali is pretty safe but you still have to be careful. Don't be fooled by all the smiles they are more a cultural tic than anything. I wouldn't walk down any dark streets on your own.

pollyanna

Feb 8, 2010
Ubud, Bali
I reckon Bali is pretty safe but you still have to be careful. Don't be fooled by all the smiles they are more a cultural tic than anything. I wouldn't walk down any dark streets on your own.

Is it really true that a woman walking down a dark street alone is likely to not be safe? I'd feel safe walking down any street in Bali except for the danger of falling in a hole or tripping on some jagged concrete.

gtrken

Nov 4, 2007
Perth W Australia
Is it really true that a woman walking down a dark street alone is likely to not be safe? I'd feel safe walking down any street in Bali except for the danger of falling in a hole or tripping on some jagged concrete.

I think like any country , you have to be a little aware.
Walking around dark alleys late at night is a little dangerous no matter where you are , especially if drunk.
Opportunistic thievery or worse can happen anywhere, even in Bali.
Having said that , I feel a lot more comfortable doing the above in Bali than Northbridge in Perth . Mind you I am a 90kg ,6ft male ...

Cheers
Ken

Kirodoc

Apr 25, 2010
Laguna Beach, CA USA
I think like any country , you have to be a little aware.
Walking around dark alleys late at night is a little dangerous no matter where you are , especially if drunk.
Opportunistic thievery or worse can happen anywhere, even in Bali.
Having said that , I feel a lot more comfortable doing the above in Bali than Northbridge in Perth . Mind you I am a 90kg ,6ft male ...

Cheers
Ken

There are two important factors prior to any potential assault. Opportunity/environment and the mark (intended victim). If the opportunity presents itself, the only other thing you can control is do you look like an easy or difficult target. Do you walk with confidence? Do you look confused? Do you appear scared or uncomfortable? Are you physically imposing? The list goes on.

I can't comment at all on the safety of Bali, but I have some experience with self defense on both a physical and psychological level. The cliff notes are...

Walk as if you always know exactly where you are going.
Be alert and aware of your surroundings without looking paranoid.
Keep your cell phone in hand.
If you feel potentially threatened by the presence of another, look them in the eye and make sure they know you saw them and have no fear. :icon_evil:

Assailants aren't known for their bravery, so fight back and keep your wits about you. They aren't known for being especially clever either. :icon_rolleyes:

Hopefully, you never find yourself in a situation such as this.

Jesse

Feb 16, 2010
Melbourne
Walking alone for women isn't that a big deal relatively to the place she walks to like in Bali. It has the same risk with other dark alley with person who're capable of doing bad things. :icon_rolleyes: