Peter Ka

Mar 31, 2010
Hi, does anyone have their house insured for fire and theft? Any info would be welcome! Pitfalls?
Thanks Peter

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
Hi, does anyone have their house insured for fire and theft? Any info would be welcome! Pitfalls?
Thanks Peter

Yes, we do - with Allianz at present. You can choose whether to pay more for earth-quake and storm damages.

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
Ron can i ask how they calculate your premiums and how you pay? Monthly, yearly etc?

Is it a percentage of the value of the home etc?

Thx

We pay yearly. No it's not just a percentage of re-build value - they are assessing risk too. For example, risk of fire is greater with alang-alang roof, risk of storm damage is greater for beach front buildings etc. We use an insurance broker, he gets competitive quotes, you compare the details and choose.

mobilemama

Jul 25, 2010
jimbaran
home insurance

We pay yearly. No it's not just a percentage of re-build value - they are assessing risk too. For example, risk of fire is greater with alang-alang roof, risk of storm damage is greater for beach front buildings etc. We use an insurance broker, he gets competitive quotes, you compare the details and choose.

Ron can you post more details of how you found your insurance broker, we have been doing the leg work ourselves and its a total pain in the ****s
Fire risk in bali its the electrical work!!!!!!

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
We just had a quote for well over 8000000rp (more than I would ever pay in Australia.....) is that normal? Also has anyone ever had to actually make a claim? And how did you go?

Ours is getting close to that, and as it turns out , it's about the same as what we pay in Australia. Here, the re-build costs are lower, but some risks are higher such as
* earthquake damage - little risk in Australia
* fire damage - effectively no fire brigade protection here
* storm damage - from tropical storms or angry seas or rivers

We have not claimed - but know neighbours who have claimed for damage from rivers and coastal erosion - there seemed to be some discussion with the insurance company about whether the particular events were covered, but then they paid up.

Tory70

Apr 21, 2010
Ours is getting close to that, and as it turns out , it's about the same as what we pay in Australia. Here, the re-build costs are lower, but some risks are higher such as
* earthquake damage - little risk in Australia
* fire damage - effectively no fire brigade protection here
* storm damage - from tropical storms or angry seas or rivers

We have not claimed - but know neighbours who have claimed for damage from rivers and coastal erosion - there seemed to be some discussion with the insurance company about whether the particular events were covered, but then they paid up.
ok well in that case it is prob worth it, that was the cheaper quote with no earthquake though?? Earthquake was 12 000000..Maybe I can pay monthly... Thanks

charles123

Oct 10, 2017
KL
I am in the market for homeowners insurance. I received one quote from a company called QBE, which priced the insurance at 0.2781% of the insured value. Deductibles vary, for example, if flooding 25M, if theft 1M. Still waiting on a quote from Allianz.

Mark

Apr 19, 2004
I am in the market for homeowners insurance. I received one quote from a company called QBE, which priced the insurance at 0.2781% of the insured value. Deductibles vary, for example, if flooding 25M, if theft 1M. Still waiting on a quote from Allianz.
Interesting info, would be good to know how you get on with this...

charles123

Oct 10, 2017
KL
I ended up using a company/insurer called QBE as their price was a bit less than Allianz for the same coverage. They used a multiplier of 0.2781 times the value you want to insure. Allianz used a multiplier of 0.3232.

Reactions: Mark