High Speed Internet Connections

sander

Dec 29, 2004
Almere - The Netherlands
www.hamel.it
Hi Sanurian, ok goodluck testing ;-)

They told me on the phone they would launch unlimited in august so perhaps they are early for once.

I heard many stories from people in java that telkom said that they used much more traffic and got a very high bill then they actually did. Not sure if this is true but I would recommend to everyone if they dont have unlimited to turn automatic windows updates off ;-)

@ iainsomers, yes I believe Sanurian is correct, 2 million a month excl. VAT for "unlimited".

Sanurian

Sep 28, 2004
Sanur
A little bit of arithmetic here, regarding Telkom Speedy:

The normal personal package for 750MB costs Rp 330,000/month (including tax). Extra MBs cost Rp 770 (including tax). The cheapest "unlimited" package is Rp 2,200,000/month. The price difference is Rp 1,870,000 (including tax). This last figure equates to an extra 2,428.6MB/month which, on top of the 750MB package totals 3,178.6MB/month. So, unless one really wants to download massive files all the time, sticking with the personal package is probably as effective as anything. Does that make sense?

And you're right, sander, to warn people to turn off automatic updates, especially for Windows. Even if I had an unlimited package, I would do that anyway. Many updates from Windows are often screwed - it's better to wait and see what new problems new patches from Microsoft produce before implementing them.
:lol:

iainsomers

Aug 3, 2006
Houten, The Netherlands
Thats true for sure. The biggest software maker in the world also makes the biggest mistakes all the time!

And the unlimited package seems to be a little expensive indeed (for me it would be perfect though,with all my live data of exchanges all the time).

I hope the speed picks up in the coming years.

Sergio

Dec 6, 2004
Ottawa, Canada
I still cannot understand why Bali is so far behind in ISP technology. It's a crying shame really. Is Indonesia the slowest country in south east asia or what? Seems like it!

spitfire

May 7, 2005
Jimbaran
We use Telkom Speedy in the office and I think it's good enough to get it at home too. But unfortunately we cannot get a fixed phone line to our house in Jimbaran. Last weekend we got a flyer from IM2 Hotzone delivered to our house. This is a wireless service from Indosat with up- and downspeed up to 256 kbps, according to the text.

Costs are (ex. 10% tax):
* registration fee: 45.000
* monthly fee: 25.000
* charge/hour: 9.500

There is free regsitration and monthly fee until february 2007.

Does anybody have experience with this service? I might try it if I do not have to sign for more than 6 months.

canubee

Oct 6, 2005
Singapore
Is this forum censored - not sure why a comment responding to Sergio's query about abscence of high speed internet in Bali has been removed - an explanation would be nice....

Bert Vierstra

Nov 5, 2002
Homeless
Yes this forum is censored.

Any reference to "certain websites", or websites that support "certain websites" will be removed.

We had a long and hot discussion about this in the past, and the consensus was that this forum will not link to those "certain websites".

End of discussion.

Further remarks about this to moderators by private message.

If you, however are able to discuss things you feel concerned about without linking or reference to those "certain websites", please go ahead.

canubee

Oct 6, 2005
Singapore
Sergio in response to your query about why ISPS in Bali are way behind all one has to do is look at the case of Harry Bleckert who attempted to start an ISP business (C.V. Candi Internet) in Bali which would have offered significantly superior service at cheaper pricing than other ISP providers in Bali. The long and short is that CV Candi Internet was put out of business and his wife ended up in jail - possibly due to the fact that Harry felt strong enough to report the facts of his case to the corruption commission in Jakarta. The files and documents relating to this case are available on the internet (just google if you are interested). Furthermore Harry implies that this case was possibly initiated by other Bali ISP providers who felt threatened by the superior service and cheaper pricing that was available from Harry's business... In any event an interesting story about an investor trying to offer a needed service in South Bali..

Peter K

Nov 24, 2005
Canggu
The reason that ISP charge so much and deliver quality that is way below that of the Western world is that their backbone cost to the WWW is 10X that of a similar ISP over there. Lack of fiber optic lines to HK and SG.

Canubee: you or I could not possibly know what really happend in Harry's case...

a leap of faith

Jun 19, 2006
UK
We have just been talking to the telecom companies but we are being told that Speedy is not available in Ubud... so looks like we are going to have to make do with dial up for the moment grrrrrrr

canubee

Oct 6, 2005
Singapore
Peter I dont pretend to know the facts of what really happened all I am pointing out are documents are publicly available relating to the court case.

Secondly not withstanding backbone costs if you look at the services Harry was proposing to provide - it was at a cheaper cost and higher speeds than that provided by other ISPs.. So the fact that backbone costs are higher would not have stopped Harry providing his services more economically than other providers and in fact he was doing this albeit on a pilot basis when his equipment was confiscated..

Peter K

Nov 24, 2005
Canggu
Canubee, with all respect for Harry's goals, I am not sure if his business model was workable. Most ISPs in Bali charge more or less the same. With so much competition, economic theory says that prices will drop close to cost...

Sergio

Dec 6, 2004
Ottawa, Canada
I have no problem believing that there "could" be some truth to what canubee heard... we all know of sanarios similar to this (at least I do) and there sure is plenty of motive in this case. If there "is" any truth to this, in the future as much as I feel for the local ISPs losing business to some cheaper and faster ISP, I hope they lose it for the good of everyone else! There is NO bright future in corruption period!

Sanurian

Sep 28, 2004
Sanur
I, for one, was interested in HB's proposed internet service at the time.

Nothing happened so out of frustration, I e-mailed his staff and pointed out that potential customers should get cogent replies to their queries. HB wrote to me and explained what was going on, several times. The things he told me about were "private", in that he asked me not to tell anybody else about the fiasco's details. I haven't and don't intend to.

Whether his "business model" was viable or not, I don't know. From what I "know", the way he was treated and everything that happened was shocking. I pray that there are not repeats of this sort of crap in the future for people wanting to start up new businesses (whether they're doomed to failure or not).