Having a baby in Bali?

brighty

Jul 31, 2007
Jakarta
Hi there,

as I am 5 month pregnant, I am thinking on and on about where to have our second son.

Before I got pregnant I was sure that I will have the second in Indonesia. For the first I went home to Germany from Vietnam.

But now I am really not sure and my thoughts are jumping between Singapore, Germany, KL and Perth, because I heard that in Indonesia there is no "safe blood" if you need an transfusion (donation??).

But the journey to Germany is long and we do not have a house or flat there, it will be cold and ugly winterseason and I will be seperated quite a long time from my husband and son, who will come around the due-date, but not stay all the three month. On the other hand I know already the hospital and the excellent midwifes and doctors.

Singapore is too expensive and I do not like the city, but the stay would be much shorter, the only problem is to find an appartement, which does not exceed our budget. A friend of mine got her baby there and the medical service is excellent!

KL is the "new Singapore" I heard yesterday. High medical standard but the living is not so overpriced.

Perth, big town, do not know anybody, have no clue which hospital, where to live, etc.

So please let me know your experiences and your thoughts to help me making a decision!

Thanks a lot,
Britta

Bert Vierstra

Nov 5, 2002
Homeless
No doubts that the medical standards, in general, are higher outside of Bali.

I watched blood transfusion "close by" one time only. Dewi, my wife had an ovary infection one time, and had been loosing blood enough to be eligible for a transfusion.

The hospital asked for blood from family, so her father, and also I gave blood. Looking at what happened during and before, it became clear that they didn't take it lightly with the blood. Both her fathers and my blood where tested for infections, such as HIV.

I also was "involved with a birth" one time, see here:

http://www.bali3d.com/birth-marriage.php

To me, but I am no expert at all, it all seemed very clean and professional.

And this happened in North Bali.

BaliLife

Mar 27, 2007
oh sorry, question answered here... from germany.. singapore and perth are definitely ur safest options but i don't know much about the facilities in bali... perth is not a big town... especially if u've been livin in jakarta... perth is a beautiful city, perhaps the prettiest... with good hospitals and well... just about the best city in the world (and i live in vancouver which actually came 1st as the best city in the world) - trust me, if u 'qualify' and are able to, perth is about the best place in the world to have a bubba..

ct

shebitme

Oct 2, 2005
Fremantle
My sister-in-law is a home birth midwife in Perth. They have an association with a hospital which they use if there are complications. She will be coming to Bali to visit us sometime. If this interests you, let me know. Our two sons were both home births; it is a great experience.

BaliLife

Mar 27, 2007
if freo got rid of their crappy footy team, they might be allowed to 're-join' perth :p jk of course... freo is beautiful too..

ct

FreoGirl

Dec 21, 2004
Fremantle, Australia
If I had to chose it would be Perth for me too - but that's my home town. As ct says, it's not a big city, more like a large country town. The main public maternity hospital is King Edward Memorial Hospital (google for more information). There are also several private hospitals that offer maternity services.
Advantages - close to Bali (3 1/2 hours) and so cheaper to get here.
Disadvantages - are you able to access the facilities? what sort of visa do you need? what about your husband and son - can they get visas?
I don't know the answer to that one - sorry

Freo

BaliLife

Mar 27, 2007
Imagine what heaven will be like, then give it a river, great beaches, clear blue skies and a great community.. That's perth..

Ct

shebitme

Oct 2, 2005
Fremantle
Heaven? That must be the other Perth balilife. The one that has a cultural life? The one where thinking outside the bounderies is valued? Where you don't getted mugged if you go into Northbridge? Where sporting heros don't openly engage in idiotic behaviour, and get celebrated for it? Where sporting heros aren't the only heros, but sit alongside arts, medical, political and social heros? Where the biggest ambition isn't to sit on the beach under the clear blue skies?

BaliLife

Mar 27, 2007
Shebit..

That's a real glass is half empty view.. Any society, any city, any group of people living together always have a group of idiots mixed in, but I think ur view is a little bleak - in fact I think its a crock of bs.. Respectfully of course..

Ct

Sergio

Dec 6, 2004
Ottawa, Canada
Congratulations brighty! Where every you decide on having your baby, may your baby be healthy and well and may your labour go as well as can be as well.

Kimbar

Jun 30, 2007
Bunbury West Australia
Re: RE: Having a baby in Bali?

BaliLife said:
Shebit..

That's a real glass is half empty view.. Any society, any city, any group of people living together always have a group of idiots mixed in, but I think ur view is a little bleak - in fact I think its a crock of bs.. Respectfully of course..

Ct

I can only agree with this.

sooze

Jul 10, 2007
Morley-Western Australia
Congrats Brighty. My daughter was born here in Perth 20 years ago, it was great. She has just had her first son born at Swan Districts Hospital Midland. (A suburb of Perth) They were wonderful there as well. The sun should be shinning brighly by the time your child is born. Perth is a warm and friendly city. . Good luck wherever your child is born. I wish you both to be safe and healthy.

brighty

Jul 31, 2007
Jakarta
Hi,

thanks a lot for your respondings.
Perth sounds lovely, but we are still undecided, what to do.
People recommended Kuala Lumpur now, so I took this into my consideration as well.
But I have to get a personnel impression, cannot go "blind" somewhere.
In September I will fly 2 days to KL, then maybe Perth in Oktober, but FIRST I will look at Kasah Ibu in Denpasar next week, when we are househunting in Bali.

Cheers,
Britta

Sergio

Dec 6, 2004
Ottawa, Canada
Isn't it funny how the place of birth means so much when really it doesn't matter at all (other than medical reasons and nationality which from what the places you've listed is not the main deciding factor). But I totally understand, I was upset that my second son was born in Ottawa because I hate the Ottawa Senators. :D (hockey team) I would have absolutely loved it if my two boys were born in Bali! So I can understand why you are looking around for a nice place for such a precious moment.

All the best,

Sergio

BaliLife

Mar 27, 2007
sergio,

you're right.... the senators suck :p but at least ur kids are canadian citizens which is a good thing..

ct

SG

Apr 17, 2007
Sanur, Bali
Bummingard in Bangkok is an incredible hospital, and not that pricey...much less than Singapore. I've had a little experience there and it was amazing.

SunFlower

Aug 24, 2007
Singapore - Bali
Hi everyone.... I'm new to this forum... :)

Congratulation...! I gave birth to my son in Bali, in one of hospital in Denpasar, It's look like a new hospital and overal it's very clean. I was stayed at executive room, had caesarean procedure due to the medical reasons, the services and room was excelent, and so the doctor and nurses..made the whole procces run smooth, and it's much cheaper compare to Singapore...

Wish you all the best...