Governor Of Bali Formally Bans Tourists Hiring Mopeds Directly From Locals

What chance does this have?

• All onboard, happy car driving days ahead.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Someone pulls out of their garage on July 23rd and all traffic on Bali comes to a full halt

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Markit

The Governor of Bali has made a series of announcements that will heavily impact travelers planning their trip to the island.

In the last few weeks, the provincial government has proposed a ban on all tourists driving on the island; following a press conference on Sunday evening, Governor Wayan Koster has taken the first steps in formalizing the ban.

This proposed policy would include foreign tourists and ex-pats and would ban any non-Indonesians from driving motorcycles or cars on the island.

Late on Sunday, 28th May, Governor Koster made a further set of announcements, including the first steps in bringing this ban on tourists driving in Bali into law.

The Governor of Bali has made a series of announcements that will heavily impact travelers planning their trip to the island.

In the last few weeks, the provincial government has proposed a ban on all tourists driving on the island; following a press conference on Sunday evening, Governor Wayan Koster has taken the first steps in formalizing the ban.

This proposed policy would include foreign tourists and ex-pats and would ban any non-Indonesians from driving motorcycles or cars on the island.

Late on Sunday, 28th May, Governor Koster made a further set of announcements, including the first steps in bringing this ban on tourists driving in Bali into law.
What is the source?

What I read today was a ban regarding informal rental of motorbikes to foreigners. Foreigners will only be allowed to rent motorbikes from business that is members of some local "cartell". That was expected as foreigners (russians?) set up motorbike rental and undercut the locals with cheaper rental fee and probably better bikes. A big no no apparently.

The guv's obviously had too much arak today. He has no legal authority to prevent foreign SIM holders or those with international driving permits (and thereby complying with national Indonesian law) from driving any vehicle within the republic of Indonesia for which they are licensed.

The guv's obviously had too much arak today. He has no legal authority to prevent foreign SIM holders or those with international driving permits (and thereby complying with national Indonesian law) from driving any vehicle within the republic of Indonesia for which they are licensed.
I suggest the Gov would be able to stop locals from renting bikes to these same foreigners. Can't stop them driving but can stop them getting anything to drive.

I suggest the Gov would be able to stop locals from renting bikes to these same foreigners. Can't stop them driving but can stop them getting anything to drive.
I agree that the governor could probably ask the police to enforce existing regulations requiring a business license or some such from local bike rental 'agencies', or ensuring that they only rent to licensed riders. At the end of the day, it's the problem of unlicensed riders that's the issue, isn't it? They are causing chaos in some parts of Bali with their inexperience and dangerous riding, and the police mostly aren't the least bit interested. The key is law enforcement. New regulations are totally unnecessary if the police just enforce the existing laws... But the governor seems to have an issue making this connection and seemingly can't see the problem for what it is.

An anecdote ... I was recently stopped by a lost bule on a motorbike asking for directions. He said he was from Brazil. After sorting him out on which route to take to his destination, he then asked me which side of the road he should drive on, the left or the right? I am not kidding you... Meanwhile, the police are happy to sit back smoking and playing candy crush on their mobiles in the office until someone is killed or seriously injured by such inexperienced riders. It's a joke.

Last edited:
The Balinese who get a little money when renting their motorbike, will be certainly grateful, Mr. Governor

What is the source?

What I read today was a ban regarding informal rental of motorbikes to foreigners. Foreigners will only be allowed to rent motorbikes from business that is members of some local "cartell". That was expected as foreigners (russians?) set up motorbike rental and undercut the locals with cheaper rental fee and probably better bikes. A big no no apparently.
What I don't understand is how these Russians are

Setting up a Business without the appropriate licenses ?

Staying in Bali long enough to set up the business when the tourist visas only allow 6 months maximum with extensions?

On the other side it appears the few drunk aussies in Kuta before creating problems wasn't such a big problem after all. At least we didn't start renting out scooters. just crashing them :)

Cheers
Ken

If this happens, us Expats are totally screwed! I hope this does not happen. It also will screw all the locals who rent bikes for a living. Bad idea governor.

What I don't understand is how these Russians are

Setting up a Business without the appropriate licenses ?

Staying in Bali long enough to set up the business when the tourist visas only allow 6 months maximum with extensions?

On the other side it appears the few drunk aussies in Kuta before creating problems wasn't such a big problem after all. At least we didn't start renting out scooters. just crashing them :)

Cheers
Ken
If you approach a local with the idea to set up a scooter rental business I doubt many will point out it is mission impossible without the correct visa, permits and license. The conversation will be more along the lines "how much money do you have pak" and "I can help pak". Only when you run out of cash the before mentioned lack of visa, permits and license could be an issue.

I assume nothing stops people on a B211 to go for a break to look after (lets say) their "business" in Thailand and then apply for another B211 in Bali.

So when I drive from Jawa to Bali they won't let me on the boat or when I arrive in Bali, I will be turn back to Jawa ?? Or will this be in south Bali not north Bali??o_O Ha Ha

I have a crazy idea. Make the Bali police actually patrol the streets. Any foreigner who does not have a license or violates the road rules should have their bike confiscated and returned to its owner.

But wait, my idea gets even crazier. THEN hold locals to the same standard.

Maybe I'm a loon but that seems way more logical than banning all motorbike rental companies...

The Member of the Klungkung DPRD, Gede Artison Andarawata, has asked for the proposal to be reviewed. He told reporters, “Just apply the rules that already exist properly.”

I have to say that having known and enjoyed Bali off and on for over 40 years, one of my main concerns regarding the possibility of spending retirement years, is that while a few drunk Aussies were always a drawback, increased numbers and now apparently matching hordes of Russians make me wonder if it remains a feasible option.
Anyway we intend to give Sanur a try for a month or so, this winter and see how it goes.

I have to say that having known and enjoyed Bali off and on for over 40 years, one of my main concerns regarding the possibility of spending retirement years, is that while a few drunk Aussies were always a drawback, increased numbers and now apparently matching hordes of Russians make me wonder if it remains a feasible option.
Anyway we intend to give Sanur a try for a month or so, this winter and see how it goes.
In Sanur, simply avoid the Aussie bars and you'll wont see a drunken Aussie.

Never had a problem with Russians, sure behave (and dress) better than a of Aussies !

Disclaimer : 5 years in Sanur.

No more motorcycle renting, no more mountain climbing but one can still make donations to the local Bali gouvernment !

In Sanur, simply avoid the Aussie bars and you'll wont see a drunken Aussie.

Never had a problem with Russians, sure behave (and dress) better than a of Aussies !

Disclaimer : 5 years in Sanur.
Geez, just because a bloke wears thongs, shorts, maybe a shirt, drinks a bit, swears, vomits, generally behaves like a bit of drongo, it seems you are a bit prejudiced

Geez, just because a bloke wears thongs, shorts, maybe a shirt, drinks a bit, swears, vomits, generally behaves like a bit of drongo, it seems you are a bit prejudiced
Hahaha, you forgot the tattoos and proudly showing off the beer belly !

I may have been unfair but reading the recent initiatives of the governor make me a little nervous. We were last In Bali just before covid and it was heaving then. Last winter I did spend a week cycling around Yogya villages which was very quiet. Also a month in Sri Lankan beach towns which were absolutely over run with young Russians and sometimes difficult to even find a menu which wasn't in Cyrillic.
Clearly everyone is entitled to their fun but in our later years my wife and I are more focused on finding a quiet bolt hole where we can have a relaxed sociable time at least during the winter months. It's a long time since Kuta, or Ubud offered that but I had hoped that Sanur might still be a bit of a backwater and Indonesia now seems to be opening more visa options.
As I said, we shall see, as we plan to give it a try towards the end of this year.
At least the comments from residents across this forum suggest that a more settled community still exists.

Back