Good bars in Sanur

Desertrat

May 3, 2007
Abu Dhabi
Thought I'd better post my query in a new Topic since my last query was so off the subject, nobody'd see it.

We're gonna be in Sanur in July and want to know from the experts where the best places are to do some adult partying. (As in, yes we drink, but not into stupors - and we don't want to be in a place where we're a generation older than the rest of the people)

When I was there last we hung out at the Apa Kabar but were told by some "gentlemen" there that there's a place by the overpass (run by a German?) where all the expats hang out - an older crowd, obviously. Does anyone know the name? We like good 'ol rock & roll and COLD beer.

Thanks

Sanurian

Sep 28, 2004
Sanur
Desertrat

...there's a place by the overpass (run by a German?) where all the expats hang out...

It sounds to me that you're referring to the Arena Sport Bar, on the by-pass road (just past Sanur McDonald's). And it's run by an Austrian gentleman. Good food, good drinks, good service, good prices. Highly recommended.

Of course, it is by no means the only venue around Sanur. Others that spring to mind include the On-On Billiard Bar (formerly known as Padussi) in Jalan Danau Poso. Gasoline Alley, and Lazar Sport Bar on Jalan Danau Tamblingan are worth a look, as is The Cat 'n Fiddle and Trophy Bar. Warung Anna is low-key and very affordable. A little off the beaten track is Gede's Sport Bar (Jalan Batusari). And I haven't even touched on any of the beach bars along Pantai Sindhu or Pantai Sumewang.

You should have no difficulties finding a suitable place to party in. It all boils down to things like price, type of company, whether or not you want a live band/big video screen/free billiards-pool, quality of music, availability of women, etc.

Good luck - although you shouldn't need it!

8)

Desertrat

May 3, 2007
Abu Dhabi
Sanurian,

Hey, Austrian's much better than German! My mother was Viennese so I can appreciate the difference. We're a casual group so want a casual place with laid-back company. Free billiards is GOOD, live band too as long as music's not too loud. I don't suppose our husbands would care about the "...availablity of women..." so I'm going to go out on a limb and say... Nah, we don't care about them.

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
Desertrat,
Not a place to party, but to relax with super breakfasts, in the company of many birds. The best hamburgers in Bali, and the most friendly boss, John, an American expat.

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
Desertrat,

Sorry, it would also be VERY helpful if I had given you the name of this bar/restaurant :oops:

Kalimantan, on Jl Pantai Sindhu.

Desertrat

May 3, 2007
Abu Dhabi
tintin,

I have made a note. Kalimantan sounds like a great place to go since we're going to need a place to unwind. What "birds" are you referring to when you mention "... in the company of many birds."

I'm really looking forward to this trip!

Desertrat

May 3, 2007
Abu Dhabi
Well, this old bird likes to play it safe. So, If Kalimantan has feathered birds then I'm happy to go there. It sounds better and better.

Balined

May 27, 2007
Ubud Bali
To change direction with this thread, I have heard that a sports bar in Sanur broadcasts cricket on television. Does anyone know if this is true?

If so, please what is the name?

I am a desperate Aussie trying to find out if it is at all possible to watch cricket here in Bali. :(

Balined

Desertrat

May 3, 2007
Abu Dhabi
Balined,

Saw your question and did a quick Google search of "Sports bars in Bali". One post that came up was this:

"Double D: A cool sports bar in Legian Jl. Legian. Double D has a streetside bar and restaurant. It's located next to Star Surf, is open 24 hours and is popular with Aussies." The post went on to mention that they were showing cricket in the downstairs bar and ESPN upstairs.

The post was from January 2006 but maybe the Double D is still around.

Sanurian

Sep 28, 2004
Sanur
Hi, Balined

There are many "sports bars" in and around Sanur. Not being a cricket-lover myself, I'm not sure which ones broadcast test matches.

I would try The Bali Cricket Club on Jalan Danau Poso (just near the Circle K, same side of the street, next door to Raja Meats). If they don't know, I don't know who would. Sorry, I don't have their telephone number handy.

:wink:

Dasha

Aug 9, 2006
Mornington Peninsula Melbourne
Desetrat one poster forgot to mention where you can grab a refreshment or two or three from 9.00am onwards and extremeley fine fine company on most days in Sanur not far fron the big Yamaha sign turnoff.

I will leave it up to you to figure it out.

You will be more than pleasantly suprised!

Desertrat

May 3, 2007
Abu Dhabi
Okay everyone, where's the Yamaha sign turnoff Dasha mentioned? That's the sort of thing I didn't pay attention to last time in Sanur. Anybody out there who can come up with a name for this place serving refreshments at 9 a.m.?

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
Batu Jimbar,

Nice garden courtyard setting. The food is good, freshly and well prepared, well presented, and a little pricey (relatively speaking). Good service. I find the atmosphere a little bit too "sanitized."

Desertrat

May 3, 2007
Abu Dhabi
Dasha,

Will write down on my places-to-visit list that I have to find the Yamaha turnoff sign and then spend some time wandering around to see which places are open at 9 a.m. Tintin spoke of another place being too "sanitized" and I'm sure I ate in tons of restaurants like that last time in Sanur. Decent food but ... sanitized. Of course, we amazed quite a few locals by dropping into a hole-in-the-wall selling fairly decent Padang food. My favorite food in all the world but it usually doesn't taste right when offered in higher class restaurants. Have read about the Cat and Fiddle and that sounds like my kinda place. Anywhere where they have a pool table is nice too. And Good 'ol rock and roll. I hate techno-rock. Muzak is better than that ... no offense to any aficianados out there!

Am starting to get really excited about this long-awaited trip. I've been online looking at Sanur housing. After living in Abu Dhabi I think Bali would be a pleasant change. Problems abound, I'm sure, but what place doesn't have its problems. I'm living in a city with more millionaires than upper Manhattan and they still don't have a real post system or addresses. The guy at the phone company, when I dropped in to get a phone book, actually said to me "You really don't need a phone book. Most of the numbers are wrong anyway."

irma1812

Jan 27, 2004
UK
Yes the Cat & Fiddle - will definitely recommend this place! Friendly atmosphere, great food, great drinks, even live Irish music once a week! By the way, they also do GREAT chicken roast complete with roast potatoes! Great if you're missing some home cooking? :wink: