Giant Pipes on Kuta Beach

Gabby

Aug 17, 2008
www.gabbylewis.com
It was a very bizarre sight on Kuta a few weeks ago with those giant pipes and earthmoving equipment mixed in with the sunbathers and surfers!

landscape-kuta-pipes-3.jpg

Hubby and I thought they might be using the pipes to create a high tide barrier...

Anybody know what's going on there?

Cheers
Gabby

mimpimanis

Nov 4, 2003
Kuta, Lombok
www.mimpimanis.com
Dont know if its true but I heard there was a dredger collecting white sand from further south and bringing it back to Kuta, and we could certainly see the dredger going back and forth past our place every day. That may have been what it was about.

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
I’m just speculating but it might have something to do with the preparations for the ABG which opens in two or so weeks.

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
These pipes are the last components of a huge pipe-line of onion soup, from the world-renowned La Tour d'Argent Restaurant, in Paris, France, to the Hard Rock Café, Kuta. The soup will be served, non-stop, at the famous Café, to the participants of the Asian Beach Games and to their next of kin during the games, and at the orgy to follow, the latter being opened to the public. Get your reservations early, as tickets are limited.

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
Here is a photo from my mobile phone (sorry poor quality) on Sep 20 (click for detail). This is pretty much opposite the end of Poppies Lanes II. A bit further south (opposite McDonalds) they have made some attempt to bury it a bit so that people can cross more easily. I think the aim is to pump sand up the beach.

Attachments

• 20092008.jpg
    20092008.jpg
    441.8 KB · Views: 127

bradad

Aug 30, 2008
Just got back and what they're doing to South Kuta/Tuban worries me.
Instead of a drop down to the sand in front of places like the Bali Garden Hotel, there's now a gentle slope of sand right up to the level of the boardwalk which would seem very inviting to waves given a decent swell and full moon.
They've also started to build rock groynes on the reef in front of Discovery Mall and Kartika Plaza. Did they not learn anything from Candidasa ?