getting married out of indonesia

waves

Aug 25, 2008
i am a new here so please help out thanks. i have done some searching but no solid answers.
i am getting married soon in the states with an javanese girl and is that marriage legal in indo
or do i have to marry again when we get back. so would it be ok to get a prenup and get married again when we get back to indo? thanks for all your help

Bert Vierstra

Nov 5, 2002
Homeless
Welcome waves.

One post with the same subject is enough...

Is your girlfriend religious?, do you have a good contact with her family?

And where do you plan to live?

waves

Aug 25, 2008
she is moslem and we have very good contact with the family. gonna live in bali in a few years. thanks

Bert Vierstra

Nov 5, 2002
Homeless
Listen, you seem very anxious, is there an acute problem?

Some people sleep as well sometime...

What does she want?, doesn't her family have preferences as well?

waves

Aug 25, 2008
yes i just need help very quick. she wants to marry me now in the states but does that marriage hold anything in indo. because we would like to buy a house in bali but the whole prenump and separation of property thing. i have read that its not a legal marriage until you marry in indo.

Bert Vierstra

Nov 5, 2002
Homeless
AFAIK marriages are recognized from other countries in Indonesia.

The other way around for sure.

A prenup would be valid as well,

If I were you, I wouldn't rush things. After all, you are making an important decision..

How long do you know each other?

waves

Aug 25, 2008
we have been together for 2yrs. what is afaik? ande so a marriage in the states would be legal in indo? even if it was not a proper moslim wedding? could a prenump be made in the states and valid in indo?

drbruce

Feb 12, 2004
singaraja, bali
cyberbali.com
There was a discussion of this on another forum which ended with a quote from Indonesian law that says:Bagian Kedua Perkawinan diluar Indonesia
Pasal 56
(1). Perkawinan yang dilangsungkan diluar Indonesia antara dua orang warganegara Indonesia atau seorang warganegara Indonesia dengan warganegara Asing adalah sah bilamana dilakukan menurut hukum yang berlaku di negara dimana perkawinan itu dilangsungkan dan bagi warganegara Indonesia tidak melanggar ketentuan-ketentuan Undang-undang ini.
(2). Dalam waktu 1 (satu) tahun setelah suami isteri itu kembali diwilayah Indonesia, surat bukti perkawinan mereka harus didaftarkan di Kantor Pencatatan Perkawinan tempat tinggal mereka.

In other words, the marriage is recognized, but you need to report your marriage here within one year of returning to Indonesia if you plan on living here.

waves

Aug 25, 2008
so what if i dont report it and have a moslim wedding and i can still make a prenump.

waves

Aug 25, 2008
thanks for all the help. i just want to be able to provide a home for my wife and kids when we have them.

waves

Aug 25, 2008
yes of course it is because if something were to happen to me she would have everything

Bert Vierstra

Nov 5, 2002
Homeless
waves said:
would a prenump from the states count in indo?

I guess so. But if there are any law cases in Indonesia, a foreign prenup may cause some problems.

It would be a good idea to talk to a Indo notary, and have your foreign prenup legalised by the notary before you report the marriage here.

waves

Aug 25, 2008
thanks bert and drbruce for the help. So is it safe to say if i get married in the states and go back to bali and dont report the marriage and get married in bali or java and make a prenump it should be ok?

Bert Vierstra

Nov 5, 2002
Homeless
waves said:
yes of course it is because if something were to happen to me she would have everything

I don't understand. with or without a prenup, she would get everything anyway I guess?

Or you don't want that?

Bert Vierstra

Nov 5, 2002
Homeless
waves said:
thanks bert and drbruce for the help. So is it safe to say if i get married in the states and go back to bali and dont report the marriage and get married in bali or java and make a prenump it should be ok?

You have to make a prenup before you marry, in the country you marry.

If you don't report the marriage, and you marry again in Indonesia, you are doing illegal things.