Free reliable highspeed Wifi in Seminyak?

nomad4ever

Jan 2, 2007
Bali
Does anyone know of a good reliable Wifi Spot around the Legian/Seminyak area? I'm planning to do a lot of up/downloads in the range of a few GByte 3-5).

So far I tried SoHo, Chat Cafe and that German restaurant in Dhyana Pura, but somehow they have all similar problems.

Either the speed is too slow for downloading or after a fast 7-10% the downloads suddenly begin to trickle so slow through, that I would have to spend effectively anything between 24-48 hours there to get my downloads done.

I don't mind paying for the food and some drinks, but didn't want to spend the whole night there.... :shock:

Suggestions are more than welcome! :idea:

G

hehe...

Now that you pointed out the "free" part I just realised why nomad doesn't want to use GlobalXtreme. :?

escape

Nov 8, 2007
Bali
did you try at Tiara Supermarket? (yes, it's not near of Seminyak but...).
I also have problem with my XL 3g connection from 14th Nov.

matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali
Bali Cyber Cafe in Patih Jelantik has very fast and secure broadband access, but charges R15K per hour. Haaris, the owner is extremely helpful.

You could also try Secret Garden Bar in Poppies 1. Alvin offers free wifi access with food or drink, but I can't tell you if it's fast or not.

nomad4ever

Jan 2, 2007
Bali
Thanks a million for the tips!

Yeah, free wife sounds great, but in what regards reliable then? Thinking about it, even a wife for free is rarely a freebie in the long run. Oha. ;-)

Allan, I would pay something, but don't like Global Extreme. I tried when I arrived and was disappointed with both speed and service. Plenty of empty promises. It's in my view only an expensive cup of hot air.

Anyway - thanks for the tips! Will look around a bit more or have to do it then when in Singapore soon.

(manuel, i'll check my pm right away...)

G

Nomad, you're right, GlobalXtreme isn't the place to send gigabytes of data (I just reread your post). It's ok for surfing or transferring very small files. Even so I think it's cheap for what it is. I spent 5 hours working there one day and it cost me less than $5. It was fast enough to remote to a client's site and upload my software patches etc.

Even at the fastest speed in Bali (say 1mbps with 3.5g) to send 5 gigabytes would take at least 10 hours. For adsl it would be more like 30 hours.

Singapore sounds like the best option. Of course the transfer speed also depends on the speed of the link being used by the other party.

Sorry to give you a bum steer.

VincentOG

Oct 23, 2006
Karangasem, Bali
Free reliable highspeed wifi in Seminyak?……….does not exist.

I regularly try the free wifi @

Zanzibar
• Blue Ocean
• Lanai
• Kumala Pantai

Nice to contemplate the ocean and sip a drink but all are an exercise in futility and pain.

At Rp10,000/hr, Global Extreme is the best of a bad, bad bunch.

…. but who comes to Bali to stare at a screen????

kauaibobby

Oct 27, 2007
santa cruz, california, usa
vincent I see you live in Karangasem.
looks like a nice place.
My son and I are moving to Bali in early 2008 and will explore arround where we want to live.
Probably stay in the south to start since I surf but I dive too.
I looked at your pictures, very nice, thank you
Bye for now.
bob

nomad4ever

Jan 2, 2007
Bali
Yeah, internet is still not up to par here. The speed of my current XL 3G is quite okay for surfing and downloading smaller files.

Bigger files will bust my 1 GB limit sooner that I can say "oops" though. And over 2 GB it gets really expensive.

So yeah, I will indulge myself in Singapore's Free Wireless LAN initiative, which served me well already during my latest computer troubles a few months back.

Allan, no worries. I don't even know what a bum steer is. ;-)

Thanks to Vincent and kauaibobby for the mental support!

lestat

Mar 28, 2008
bali
There's a new (it wasn't there last time I was in Bali) foodcourt at Kuta Beach just next to Kamasutra where Channel-11 broadcasts free wifi. You just gotta buy a drink or something and you can sit there for hours. Or if you have a car you can just park nearby and jack the connection from your car, no security. Download speed varies from 1-2kbps to 10-15kbps depending on how many people are using the connection and/or weather conditions. Not bad for a freebie.

I also recently found Bali Media Net (link) and they offer 128kbps for 490k and 256 for 990k. Anyone know about them? No installation fees, no contracts. Might be worth a try.

O

May 21, 2007
indonesia
There's the circle K next door to Soho that often provides a faster connection than Soho, only problem is they have no plugs, so unless you have a nuclear fuel cell battery you can pick up the signal from soho -where they do have plugs- once you've had your cofee and password from Circle K. Good luck
O

SoonerInBali

Apr 18, 2007
Singaraja
SoHo is a nice place for casual internet browsing. But if you're tryng to do heavy stuff...like work (I tried and failed)..it's the wrong place to be,

SG

Apr 17, 2007
Sanur, Bali
lestat said:
I also recently found Bali Media Net (link) and they offer 128kbps for 490k and 256 for 990k. Anyone know about them? No installation fees, no contracts. Might be worth a try.

My advice is to avoid this lot. I used them for a period and they are dreadfully slow, the service (at management level..not the staff) is shocking.