For Lise and Uma

Roy

This is essentially a follow-up to the string started by "Shar" titled Ex-pat Nuts & Bolts Questions. I post this as a new string only to encourage more discussion on this vital topic, and I hope this is OK with all concerned. Funny, in my view, that Shar's first post on this forum goes right to the heart of what this forum is all about. It's a "Bali thing" and selamat to you Shar.

First, for Lise. Lise, in my humble but totally honest opinion, I think your motivation to move to Bali, as based upon your desire for the best possible environment to raise a child, is 100% dead on the bull's eye. In fact, it is brilliant and I cannot imagine that either you, your husband, or daughter will ever regret your inspired decision. I applaud your courage and your instincts.

Likely it is that I have more insight on this than most other expats, as in my prior life, I raised three kids in the US, and now enjoy raising two, with a third to arrive in late June here in Bali. I am married to a Balinese and I live in her village, with all her family within easily walkable distance. Also, I am committed that all of my children born with my wife Nyoman are raised as Balinese first, but with an understanding and knowledge of "dad's" culture as well.

Frankly, I think I could write a book on this subject of raising children within the nurturing, safe, and uncompetitive environment that is Bali. For certain, you will not find kids here who need Ridellan (sp?), Prozak, or will show up at school with guns to vent suppressed anger. In Bali, specifically within the villages, kids rule. By this I mean that all the children of every village are regarded by all the citizens of the village as the primary reason for life itself.

Even first time tourists to Bali are exposed to this before leaving the airport. Invariably, the driver will ask, "are you married" which is immediately followed with, "do you have children?" I know of no greater source of pride or happiness with any Balinese than their children. Discussing them with total strangers, "Tamu" is not just an ice breaker to initiate conversation, rather, it is always on their mind, and the opportunity to share their joy and happiness with strangers is a real pleasure.

I have virtually no concerns about the safety of my boys. I will never teach them to "not talk to strangers." My older son Bima, who is under three years old, may disappear from my house for hours, but I have no concerns for his well being or whereabouts. In my village, child rearing is a community responsibility that is as natural as breathing. Everyone is an "uncle" an "aunt" or a "cousin." Watching my boys grow within an environment that is free of fear, paranoia, and the constant "keeping up the Jones's" competitiveness is the most satisfying aspect of my life.

Of course, there are drawbacks. For me, my two primary concerns are education and access to top level health care. These very same concerns are shared by virtually every expat I know on Bali who is also a parent. But, the sacrifices we make to insure that these concerns are addressed, far outweigh the advantages we all know are inherent with raising our kids, literally, "in Paradise."

I could go on ad infinitum on this subject...and I already have gone on more than is my fair share. But there is another advantage to raising kids in Bali that is often overlooked, or at least not much discussed. This has to do with the global nature that is indigenous within Bali. Expat kids are not raised here as Americans, Australians, Germans, Italians, French, etc., etc. Rather, they are raised as human beings, free of nationalistic pride, fervor, and the ignorance of the world around them that so often is part and parcel of western cultures. Racial and cultural prejudice is unknown, thankfully, among all children raised in Bali. If this by itself were the only advantage to raising children in Bali, it would be more than enough for me.

For Uma, it is clear that you are a very thoughtful and intelligent young lady. Your instincts, intellect, wisdom and good heart will assure your happiness and fulfillment living in Bali. But, do be prepared for a lot of "hindsight." It's what living in Bali is all about... learning how to live all over again.

Roy, as usual...

you speak (well, write) exactly the words I want to share with those who question our decision. When I describe the benefits of living in Bali everyone accuses me of living in some fantasy...noone believes that a place could exist on earth where what you describe above takes place! I will e-mail your post to many...thank you so much for your wonderful words of support.

I feel that nothing could be more important than raising Zoe in an environment where people smile and love life. After my love and care, isn't that the greatest gift I can give her? Imagine, raising a child in the U.S., they watch their parents running around all stressed out, working, commuting, busy busy, and they think, "Is this what I have to look forward to?".

She is just thrilled to get to wear flip flops every day and eat as much mango as she wants...

Roy said:
learning how to live all over again.

A thank you to Roy from here too.
The Teutonic inclination to try to cover all bases beforehand gets the better of me sometimes. Thanks for the reminder that we're here to learn. I mean going to Bali for something fresh and new, something mind and heart opening...
Part of the fun will be meeting the unexpected and unplanned.
I too am childless--it just didn't happen in my last marriage-- but I am a Bibi to-be in my Balinese partner's family. He has practically 'adopted' one of the older offspring of someone in the family, and the kid and I really hit it off well. Since my partner and I are quite 'old' by Balinese standards and childless, this set up will work fine. I really like the idea that the extended family and even the village gets so involved when someone is in need or strapped for resources. In our case, we'd be paying for all the boy's needs, his schooling, take him with us to places, spend regular time together, our home is his home...whatever.
Roy describes the communal involvement much better than I could.

best wishes to all of you!
Uma

School

Roy

Thank you for the explianation- much appreciated.

So how do you deal with the 2 drawbacks of educatuion & health?

What school in Ubud do/will your kids go to and what do you do if some one becomes sick? I imagine an accident is different from a minor complaint and different again from a serious illness?

Shar

Schools and Such

Selamat pagi Shar!

Our oldest, Bima is in pre-school right now, which is excellent and has a good mix of expat kids and locals. When he, and our other younger kids are old enough for primary, or elementary school, we will have to decide on either the International school in Sanur, which is about an hour commute from the Ubud area, or one of two local Ubud area schools.

As for medical issues, reasonable pediatric care is available here. In more serious cases, we would consider going to Singapore, to Mount St. Elizabeth, or Bangkok, to Bumrungrad. These are the two top rated hospitals in Asia, providing world class medical care.

Montessori School

Roy

I heard there was a Montessori school in Ubud. Is that true? Do you know anything of it?
Shar

Actually Nearby

to Ubud. It's in Mas. My oldest son Bima goes every day and LOVES it. It's about a perfect little school for pre-school youngungs one could ever imagine! :D

Back