Flight options

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on what we can do.

Supposed to fly to Australia on December 20 on Virgin.

For now hoping for the best, but can't say I am too confident. Ideally we would like to go at this time being Christmas and have already booked and paid for some trips and accommodation.

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
It seems like we can get a travel credit valid for one year in the event of a cancellation. So that might be our best option if we can't go.

matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali
Ngurah Rai is open again this afternoon. For how long, who knows?

24129890_10212365153835620_5490538687943080776_n.jpg

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
I have a friend who was due to fly to Singapore yesterday morning to renew his sosbud visa. The flight was cancelled.
His current visa expires in a few more days. What should he do now, regarding Indonesian immigration?
Anybody know?

Last edited:

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
He can extend at immigration. Just needs to take copy of his air ticket. If the airport closes they open a desk at the airport for extensions. But that is only available if the airport is closed. Very logical.

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
Hahaha.
Sounds a little like quantum mechanics, where two ‘things’ can be at different places at the same time.
He went to the airport yesterday; (was it closed, open or both?), and managed to extend his visa.
Took him 8½ hours, all up.
I’ve often suspected that much of the time ‘Indonesian logic’ is an oxymoron.
:confused:

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
A few people have said they were charged for 'overstaying'. It really makes you wonder if anyone cares how this looks to tourists.

There were reports of hotels putting up prices when Agung started to erupt.

Reactions: JohnnyCool

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Spicy...when they say the airport is closed clearly they mean for aircraft and not for the hundreds of people at the airport.
IMO...Starbucks, and other airport franchisees, probably influenced that decision as this is their Nirvana...hundreds of stranded people with nowhere to go....and thus exactly "Indonesian Logic".:D

Last edited:

Mark

Apr 19, 2004
A few people have said they were charged for 'overstaying'. It really makes you wonder if anyone cares how this looks to tourists.
I'm surprised as I heard from many sources that those with confirmed outbound tickets whose flights were cancelled due to the airport closure were not being charged for overstaying. I believe that this was also the case in 2015 when the volcano on Lombok closed Bali airport for several days.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
I'm surprised as I heard from many sources that those with confirmed outbound tickets whose flights were cancelled due to the airport closure were not being charged for overstaying. I believe that this was also the case in 2015 when the volcano on Lombok closed Bali airport for several days.

Exactly Mark....I'd suggest those complaining couldn't verify it was the cancellations that caused their overstay.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Nice to see no ash advisories for Agung today. Let's hope it stays that way for a while: http://www.bom.gov.au/info/vaac/advisories.shtml

I'm not so sure the uncertainty is good for Bali. There are cancellations of visits abound. Some would prefer the damn mountain to blow up and then rest...at least Bali can do a clean-up and restart afresh.
http://money.cnn.com/2017/11/28/news/economy/bali-volcano-economy/index.html

IMO, on reflection, this respite might give the Balinese, and their leaders, time for reflection. It is obvious to most that the greed of issuing permits for building, without the obvious need for corresponding infrastructure projects, was unsustainable. This includes the rapid value of agricultural land for other purposes. Bali, by continuing down this track, will, and should, ultimately lose its inherent value as the 'Island of the Gods.'

Once a resort island, whose main economy is tourism, has been titled a dump...it's time to rethink.

This volcano could be a blessing in disguise...I'd be advertising and assisting well-heeled tourists to come and be close to an erupting volcano....a unique experience!

Last edited:

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
...Let's hope it stays that way for a while...
Let's hope it stays that way for a long time.
And that link you posted goes straight to warnings about Mt Dukono (in Sulawesi).
Trawling through it further, I couldn't find anything about Mt Agung more recent than December 2.

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
IMO, on reflection, this respite might give the Balinese, and their leaders, time for reflection. It is obvious to most that the greed of issuing permits for building, without the obvious need for corresponding infrastructure projects, was unsustainable. This includes the rapid value of agricultural land for other purposes. Bali, by continuing down this track, will, and should, ultimately lose its inherent value as the 'Island of the Gods.'

You are right, but will it happen? No, unfortunately. The 3 big things that need fixing are waste, water and roads. One would hope that some money could come from Jakarta to fix these issues before it is too late (or maybe it already is).

And that link you posted goes straight to warnings about Mt Dukono (in Sulawesi).

The warnings appear on that page. Since there is no current warning for Agung, there is no link there.