Fish restuarants

Steadysteve

Nov 24, 2005
UK
Hello to you all.

Has anyone got a favorite resurant on Jimbaran bay, I love the ones right on the beach but I was looking for one to go to for a special meal, we are not after 5 star fancy but a restuarant with a cook who can cook fish, if you know what I mean.

Thanks

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Well, it's a good thing your are not out for "5 star fancy" because none of the seafood places in Jimbaran come close to that rating!

The better ones tend to be near the end of the road, just before the entrance to the Four Seasons Jimbaran Resort.

I used to take my whole family, aunts, uncles, cousins...the works, twice a year down there for a royal ikan pig out, but we haven't been back since the last bombing. Hopefully someone else can give you more updated information.

In any event, they all know how to cook fish, "if you know what I mean." :p

G

Hi Steady Steve, Go to Menega - BIG Wayan and his crew will look after you. This was one of the venues that was bombed - many of the staff were injured, thankfully, none killed. Tel 08123933539 or 0361 781 4991 (No Bert, that's not advertising !)
We've been supporting Wayan since he opened in 2000 - and were the first to go back after they re-opened from October bombings. Still the busiest and BEST on the strip - As Roy says, take the four season road - turn right at the beach - Menega is in the middle - about #8 along. Be sure to tell Wayan Desmond sent you.. He'll look after you.

Steadysteve

Nov 24, 2005
UK
Hi,

Thanks for the replies, just to clarify we were there last Oct and are going back again to support the people who make their living on Jimbaran beach.
Last year we saw some smarter (relatively) places further up towards the fish market, we didn't get to go to them as we are rubbish at walking past and not getting sucked in.
Roy, the way to tell a great chef is to ask them to cook fish, so easy to do so easy to get wrong.

Cheers

Steve

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Roy, the way to tell a great chef is to ask them to cook fish, so easy to do so easy to get wrong.

That comment, coming from the UK is not at all surprising to me and very true. Most Brits can easily screw up a simple fish and chips dish.

If you ask most of the great restaurateurs in Ubud that have dined at my house, they will assure you that Pak Roy presents ikan in a most remarkable way. Their pleas for my recipes are unanswered however.

Good luck on your venture for the perfect ikan. :p :p :p

irma1812

Jan 27, 2004
UK
Roy said:
That comment, coming from the UK is not at all surprising to me and very true. Most Brits can easily screw up a simple fish and chips dish.

Only if they start cooking from fresh ...... :lol: Most people will just go to the "Chippy" or ready made frozen stuff from Iceland! (Isn't that right, Jimbo?)

Roy said:
If you ask most of the great restaurateurs in Ubud that have dined at my house, they will assure you that Pak Roy presents ikan in a most remarkable way.

So Roy, we know where to go for a perfect ikan in Ubud now, don't we? :wink:

Tim

Jul 24, 2006
Bothell, Wa. USA
Was only in Bali for a short time last May so wasn't really able to visit the great restaurants there.........we did wander down to the Jimbaran Bay area and to a restaurant on the beach that offered fish/lobster on the menu....everything was fine except the bill that totaled 85.00 US.
Most of the cost was toward my lobster as my wife only wanted Nasi Goreng...our friends thought the cost was excessive.

Two nights later in Ubud we had dinner at the Dirty Duck and it was great along with the atmosphere....we are looking forward to our our next visits
to Bali and having "more time" to experience them all.

Best regards,
Tim

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Irma, I’d be happy to find a place on my dance card to squeeze you in! Most likely though that you’d enjoy more my wife’s ikan pepes. Each portion consists of three or more types of seafood, typically shrimp, calamari and Spanish mackerel, but sometimes lobster or sawah eel, flavored with her family’s secret recipe of Balinese bumbu, wrapped with banana leaves and slowly steamed. Is it good? No. It’s outrageous...like an angel having just pissed on your tongue. As I write, she is making a batch now. Alas! It’s an offering/gift for someone else! ARRRGGG!

As for me, my “signature” dish is jumbo shrimp scampi. My doctor keeps telling me to “lay off” (cholesterol), but how else can this dish be made without heaps of butter, garlic and white wine?

Cooking is something that Eri and I both enjoy a lot. For me, it is like therapy. While some have encouraged us to open a restaurant, we shrug that off, as then cooking would become work, and that’s just another nasty four letter word.

Tim, you make a good point. The cost is not like it used to be.

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
Irma

The UK is the home of Fish and chips and if you have never tried it at Harry Ramsdens you have never eaten it. As for Frozen fish from the supermarkey chains Iceland included it is not on my menu.

Maria only cooks fresh food and our fish comes from Bury Market

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
Ikan Pepes, my favorite Balinese dish. I also (try to) prepare it in the US, but I am afraid it is just so, so, not exactly what I imagine your wife’s refined version to be.

As for your jumbo shrimp scampi ( yummy), I would like to make some comments regarding your doctor’s remarks on “cholesterol.”

I am sure you have heard about Dr. Ancel Keys, who just died almost 2 years ago, short of his 101st birthday. He was the inventor of the “famous” K-ration, which became part of the US Army’s gourmet cooking during WWII. :) Dr. Key (and his wife, Margaret), popularized the “Mediterranean” diet with a series of best-selling books. Science, diet, and health were the central themes of his professional and private live.

Dr. Key’s pointed out that the amount of cholesterol that one ingests daily from any kind of diet is small (which has since been found experimentally to be about 20% maximum) when compared to the amount that one’s liver synthesizes daily following the ingestion of saturated fat (and now trans fat (monounsaturated or polyunsaturated) which have recently been found to be even more detrimental to good health). Some of the foods that contain a high proportion of saturated fat are butter, coconut oil, and palm kernel oil (the latter two present in large quantities in the Balinese’s diet :( ), dairy products (especially cream and cheese), meat as well as some prepared foods. These foods, present in large amounts in one’s diet (like the ones found in the US and other industrial nations), will result in one’s liver to produce excessive amount of cholesterol, with the well known health consequences. Please note that saturated fat is necessary, in “natural” quantities, for the cells’ well being.

I have had several discussions with my cardiologist on this subject. Of course, he has to agree with the scientific (and Dr Key's) findings, but cannot go against the present mantra of his profession, so his only answer is “…yes, Dr. P., but every little bit helps.” :roll:

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Ikan Pepes, my favorite Balinese dish.

Well then Daniel, I guess you know what’s on the menu when some day down the road we have the pleasure of you and your wife over for dinner. :p

Making the bumbu is somewhat of a chore, but once that is over with, the dish itself is really easy to put together.

As is so typical of the Balinese, the wrapping in banana leaves becomes a work of art. Every time I attempt to work the various leaves that is essential to Balinese cooking, and even more, their daily offerings, I find myself with ten thumbs. :oops: :oops:

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
Hi Roy,

Thank you for your kind invitation. You (or rather Eri) take care of the pepes and I'll take care of the drinks. Hopefully, it will be soon, but at this time, it does not look too good.

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
but at this time, it does not look too good.

You've mentioned that before Daniel, and we know why. Our only point is to offer encouragement. That’s it, and you know we honestly wish you the best...and that means a return to Bali.

irma1812

Jan 27, 2004
UK
Don't worry Daniel, I'll be happy to take your place! :wink: Hmmmm I can taste that ikan pepes already!!

Jimbo, I was only joking about Iceland, you know? I hate going there myself! Last time I went must've been at least 10 yrs ago! Of course have had Ramsdens fish & chips, yummy...... but ikan pepes still takes no 1 place for me!! :)

irma1812

Jan 27, 2004
UK
All this talk about ikan pepes is making wish to be there even more! Damn you people! :wink:

Not that I dislike fish/chips (though can't stand mushy peas!), in fact I like quite a few English dishes, especially my hubby's wicked Shephards Pie! Which I had tonight but couldn't taste a thing because I'm full of cold/flu, etc. (Damn it!) :(

Jimbo, fish & chips with pepes sauce? Well, interesting..... but ditch the bloody mushy peas!! :lol:

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Jimbo, I asked Eri to make me a shephard's pie once, and she said, "sure, but what is, and where do I buy a shephard?" :shock: