Fabrics ?

quirkyartist

Jun 30, 2006
Sydney Australia
Hi everyone,
I've just joined, but I've come across many of you before. on another forum. I am going/coming to Ubud on 12th July for a week. I have been 10 times before, but I haven't been for 5 years because I've been too poor.
Years ago, in Klungkung I went to a market where they had those beautiful fabrics that the dancers wear -long narrow pieces. The next time I went, it was a building site. So where are those fabrics sold please ? hopefully in or near Ubud. I don't plan to travel around much. I just get to Ubud and I'm happy.

bolli

Nov 28, 2005
Australia
there is a shop called Wardini's in Monkey Forest Road that has ikat, songket,silks,satins embroidered cloth etc that is worth checking out.

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
If it’s old and antique kain di Indonesia that you are looking for, yes, I can help. There are only a hand full of shops on Bali that sell authentic Balinese endek and gerinsing, Sumba ikat, and great tulis batik. These pieces are works of art, and they are not inexpensive, although since the last bombing, and the drop in tourists and serious shoppers, prices have come down.

For modern, and usually machine made fabrics, I can suggest the textile market in Denpasar. Any Balinese driver will know where that it is, and can take you there.