expat work in bali

amanda

Jul 15, 2004
Melbourne
I am not sure if this is the right section to post this but i'm looking at moving over to Bali next year and doing some volunteer work. DOes anybody have any information about agencies in Bali who assist with this kind of thing? Thanks

Amanda

made marko

Jun 12, 2004
Niskala, Berkala
Hi Amanda, I don't know what type of work you are interested in,but I am currently preparing to take a volunteer position as an elementary art teacher with an organisation called "Volunteers and Interns for Balinese Education". http://www.vibefoundation.org If everything comes together for me, I will be there in august.
bye,
made

Tracey

Mar 26, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
Hi Amanda,
I don't have the address on my but look up crisiscare or something like that as Gloria will certainly have something you could do to help, I am sure! Maybe someone else on here has her address... It was posted on here somewhere!!!!
I will send it again if I find it!

amanda

Jul 15, 2004
Melbourne
Thanks Made and Tracey for that info. Made could you tell me a little bit about what you will be doing in Bali, for how long etc. Do either of you live in Bali?

made marko

Jun 12, 2004
Niskala, Berkala
Sorry that I was away Amanda. It seems that I will not be able to make it to Bali this session(unable to expedite my visa? 4-6 week verification of my itinerary? ADUH!). The positions are for a minimum of 4 months and up to 6 months. You are issued the proper visa, and there are several suported and non-suported options to your stay. It looks as if the Art Instructor role will be filled in time, but there is an environmental position that must be filled by mid-August. I am not completely certain what the positions entail, but this is Bali and things will be done the Balinese way...I am sure the hours are short, the supplies few, the questions many and the children adorable! The work is in Ubud and surrounding villages.A 20 hour imersion course is available to volunteers and interns starting Aug. 1st.
I hope you find what you are looking for.
-Made

amanda

Jul 15, 2004
Melbourne
Thanks Made. I'm looking for something for about 4 months and would like to trvel around some after that, money and visa permitting of course. However, I may have some pre-arranged accomodation in Legian so just a bit worried about travelling to Ubud etc. Ideally I would like to teach english to children but not sure about that kind of work over there. Do you have any info on that. Made, is that an indonesian name, number two son??

made marko

Jun 12, 2004
Niskala, Berkala
Ya Amanda, I am 2nd born. My mother named me Made. She was not Balinese, but had a great interest in Balinese culture; as do I.
I know of no current postings for ESL instructors, but I am certain they are out there.
I believe that most NGO's would be able to act as your sponser for the cultural (budaya) visa.
-Made

amanda

Jul 15, 2004
Melbourne
Sorry, I am probably annoying you all with these questions but does anybody know anything about the Salvation Army in Denpasar? Apparently they run a childrens home there and I tried to check out the website but it was all in Indonesian (unfortunatley my indonesian is still at the basics). I work as a social worker for the Salvation Army in Melbourne and thought it might be a good connection. Hope your well!

made marko

Jun 12, 2004
Niskala, Berkala
Someday...
No never been yet.
Mom was a socio-antropologist and I was introduced to Bali at a very young age.
I have been studying Agama and Adat all of my life but had be the greedy american - working away my life, and to busy to travel for myself.
ALL THAT NONSENSE is now finished!
I now simply paint pretty pictures, make music and volunteer for temple, charity and our local arts.
I have for the past few months been looking into volunteer work in Bali myself, so this is why I appear to be knowledgeable on the subject. -Made

amanda

Jul 15, 2004
Melbourne
Well i am sure you will love it......
What kind of thing do you want to volunteer at? I looked up the vibe foundation but i'm not sure if that is the kind of thing i want to do......
How long does it take to get to Bali from America?

made marko

Jun 12, 2004
Niskala, Berkala
Yes, I am sure I will.
VIBE offered me a teaching position to lead art classes, I was informed that some of the duties included the production of crafts for sale to benifit the organisation.
There was also an Environmental awareness instructor position offered. I will give you the director's tele# & email adress in a PM.
I guess that I am looking for a reason to be there that could be of service to the people. I feel rather guilty simply taking a "vacation" or "holiday". The extended Visa I will have from performing volunteer work is a big plus!
It will take aprox. 20-22 hrs to fly from LAX to DPS, and around $900 U.S. R.T. @ the time I need to travel(China Air).
I am trying to find cheaper flights, so if anyone has sugestions... -Made