Ex-pat Nuts & Bolts Questions

shar

Hi

This is my first post to the BEF. As someone who does not usually post to forums (I'm shy !!!!!) I had to write to thank Bert for keeping this forum alive. As a 'wanna-be' ex-pat I appreciate the opportunity to read of the experiences of ex-pats.

I too know there is a myth or dream about the Bali paradise and often wonder how it would measure up in real life with the daily grid. The forum provides a space to share about Bali the good and bad and the ..... Bert, I have especially appreciated living (a little bit) through your stories in the daily log & I hope you continue.

Now here is my 3 'nuts & bolts' questions to all you the expats.....

1. How is it that you can stay in Bali as an ex-pat? Do you do the regular visa run, have you hooked up with a local partner/spouse or what???

The second question is ...can you describe when you decided to go/stay in Bali. Why did you and was there a defining moment, factor or pull/push? And for those of you considering but not yet ex-pats what is holding you back?? Im keen to understand the factors involved in the decision making process.

And finally, regarding longer term accomodation did you rent/ share/buy accomodation ?

Thats all

Thanks
Shar

Re: Welcome

Hi Shar, and welcome! I think you have, perhaps inadvertently, come up with the perfect name for the new forum!
shar said:
Bali the good and bad and the ..... Bert

behemoth

Dear Shar:

Welcome to the forum... here are my answers to your questions:

1. As far as visa matters, there are many options you can choose. Yes Visa Runs to Singapore or Bangkok every two months is one of them, but it can be costly and very inefficient - not recommended if you're planning to live in Bali for a long time. Marrying a local will not help you if you're a man. Multiple business visa, Social Budaya, Kitas, Kims are the other options and there could be more... so help me here guys if you know more.

2. You will know when the time has come and it is right for you to make the move.

3. Yes, yes and yes

Good luck

shar said:
Bert, I have especially appreciated living (a little bit) through your stories in the daily log & I hope you continue.
I'll do my best.

shar said:
1. How is it that you can stay in Bali as an ex-pat? Do you do the regular visa run, have you hooked up with a local partner/spouse or what???

I do a Social Visum run until now. I "have" a company now here, as soon as it makes money I will get a working permit/visa.

shar said:
The second question is ...can you describe when you decided to go/stay in Bali. Why did you and was there a defining moment, factor or pull/push? And for those of you considering but not yet ex-pats what is holding you back?? Im keen to understand the factors involved in the decision making process.

Hmmmm, lost my job in the ICT got some money from that, wanted to go to Bali anyway, had nothing to loose in the Netherlands, have some income left from a company in the Netherlands, what the heck.

shar said:
And finally, regarding longer term accomodation did you rent/ share/buy accomodation ?

Rent, 6,5 million rp a year, see my log for details. Love living in the village, no privacy though. Door is always open, find sometimes people in my livingroom, they come and look at me working at the PC, when I watch a DVD they join etc... I only lock my computeroom, only when I am longer away I lock my house.....

-

Interesting, but personal questions

Interesting questions, and I think you will find many various answers, each as unique as those of us who call Bali home today, and will call Bali home tomorrow.

Personally, I like the social/cultural visa as it is essential to "get off island" every six months or so. Bali is intense...very intense. My twice a year visits to Thailand are more essential for my well being than compliance to immigration laws. This feeling, or need, that I describe is shared by virtually every expat I know.

Answering your question number two is getting personal. But, for me, I never did decide to move to Bali. Rather, I decided to never leave it (aside from my bi-annual visa runs). The days turned into weeks, the weeks became months and the months marched into years. Sometimes I laugh wondering what happened to my custom golf clubs in the trunk of my Mercedes 300 CD coupe, and what happened to my Mercedes? And, how about my four season tickets at the Giant's stadium?

For me, moving to Bali was not based on a decision, but rather the evolution of my life. I've never been back to the states, and I doubt I ever will return. Everything I've ever wanted in life, I have found here. No more trains to Grand Central, no more Johnson and Murphy wingtips, Brooks Brothers suits, silk shirts or neck ties. No more rounds of golf at the Wethersfield Country Club, and no more black tie charity dances for the Junior League. But...never ask me if I miss any of it.

As for your last question, for me, I bought. A bit of guilt too is involved here as I bought right at the heart of THE crisis. The rupiah rate when I purchased was 16,500 to one US dollar. I paid in cash (well before the 100,000 rupiah note was first released), and it took us three hours to count it. It was like a scene from a movie.

But, as I started out to say, everyone's story is different, and I've heard them all, from Bali's most senior expat, Victor Mason, on down the line. The trick is to make your own story as only YOU can.

Re: Interesting, but personal questions

Hi Roy- interesting response.

Roy said:
Bali is intense...very intense. My twice a year visits to Thailand are more essential for my well being than compliance to immigration laws. This feeling, or need, that I describe is shared by virtually every expat I know.

If it isn't too personal, would you mind elaborating? Would welcome responses from others in the same vein as well.

behemoth

That feeling is confirmed by my best friend, who has been living there about 8 months now...sometimes he'll call and I'll ask how things are going here and his reply is, "It's IN-TENSE! Living here is really intense."
The privacy factor has been an adjustment for him, he once had about 45 people walk in to his house to get out of the rain on their way to the cemetary next to his house. Everyone walked in, sat down, hung out until the rain stopped, then continued on. He was amused, but also very surprised!

I've been fortunate to travel with him emotionally through his first 8 monhs living there, which is helping me to prepare for the challenges I will face after our arrival next month. We're starting out with a social visa and will see what happens after that...We're moving to Bali for many reasons, one is wanting to raise our daughter in a culture where people are joyful and smile instead of a culture where people are bitter and stressed out...

Intense!!!

lise said:
"It's IN-TENSE! Living here is really intense."
and..."helping me to prepare for the challenges I will face after our arrival next month."
...a culture where people are joyful and smile instead of a culture where people are bitter and stressed out...

DITTO!! Thank you Lise. Can we get together while I am there in March? Share some thoughts and ideas? The stress and bitterness aspect plays a part in my motivation too. Besides that I just want a simpler life, without buying into stuff so much.

Like Behemoth and you, I'd love to hear more about Roy's take on Bali life, as well as hear from others.
My move...god willing and if the creek don't rise...is planned for the end of the year. Well, let's say, since the creek always rises in Bedulu at that time of year, assuming that my future life there doesn't go down the creek.

And like Lise, I'd like to prepare at least little for what is ahead. I mean, I hope to have a little more foresight, than end up with hindsight telling me later: See, if you had paid attention to that before...!!

Until soon,
Uma

Behe

Yes the good the bad and the ..... Bert

Actually I meant the sentence begining with . Bert to be a new sentence. Its funny how things can be read by different people but it works !!!

Can someone tell me more about the social visa?

I have been to Bali 15 times since 1979 when Jalan Legian was just a cinder track. For reasons similar to Roys (which he articulates way better than I can) ie quality of life, community, wellbeing and values (or is it affluenza - the virus of affluence and consumption) in the 'west', stress and a feeling of frustration as intuitively I want to be there but I wonder if Im not addicted to the rat race.

In fact I was planning to undertake 12 months 'field study' in Bali in 2003 for my Phd and had preliminary apporoval on October 11 from University. I was scheduled to go to Bali for 5 weeks on 21 Oct to locate accomodation for the year. Karmic timing I think cause less than 24 hours later on 12 Oct - well you all know what happened and I have postponed.

Love to hear more aboiut social visa if anyone can enlighten me on how to secure this.

Shar

Back