blightyboy

Feb 10, 2011
Ubud, Bali
I am looking for a supplier, anywhere in Indonesia but Bali would be good, who can supply cotton that has been produced in an environmentally conscious way, and who operate a fair trade/conditions policy for their workers.

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
The top 10 cotton producing countries are China, India, US, Pakistan, Brazil, Uzbekistan, Australia, Turkey, Turkmenistan and Argentina. Indonesia comes in at 51st, and grows only 1% of what it uses. So I doubt that they need to wave eco friendly banners in order to sell what they grow.

What do you think an "environmentally concious" grower in Indonesia would be doing?

In Australia, cotton growers are criticized for consuming large quantities of irrigation water which is a scarce resource there. But that would hardly be an issue in Indonesia.

Vin

Oct 1, 2009
Singapore, Tabanan
I am looking for a supplier, anywhere in Indonesia but Bali would be good, who can supply cotton that has been produced in an environmentally conscious way, and who operate a fair trade/conditions policy for their workers.

Do you require Raw Cotton, Cotton Yarn or Cotton fabrics ???

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
So you cant help is what you are saying.

Yes, correct I can't help.

But I was trying to say why. To find "cotton that has been produced in an environmentally conscious way" (whatever that is) you would need to find how it was grown. Indonesia grows almost no cotton, imports 99% of its needs, so why are you asking this question in Indonesia?

blightyboy

Feb 10, 2011
Ubud, Bali
Yes, correct I can't help.

But I was trying to say why. To find "cotton that has been produced in an environmentally conscious way" (whatever that is) you would need to find how it was grown. Indonesia grows almost no cotton, imports 99% of its needs, so why are you asking this question in Indonesia?

Because my daughters, both of whom are half Indonesian, want to support Indonesia and its people, if only in the very smallest of ways.