economic outlook for indonesia for next 5yrs

Sanurian

Sep 28, 2004
Sanur
You gave me a chuckle or two, Bert, with this:
It is already know for some time that people have to pay quite a lot to become a policeman, or to be able to work on a cruise ship (dream for many).
It's been like that for many years in Indonesia. I'm not sure if these next statements are fact or fiction, but I've heard that Indonesian post-men have to pay for their petrol when delivering mail and that Indonesian soldiers have to buy their own bullets for their guns! It wouldn't surprise me.

I agree, again, with SG's take on the value of education, no matter where one is. I was (pleasantly) surprised yesterday to learn that Brian May, the lead guitarist from the group formerly known as Queen, recently gained a PhD in astrophysics! He's even co-authored a recent book called something like 'BANG - Ultimate Answers About The Universe'. (Don't quote me.) There is a website and he sometimes answers questions. If there are any Patrick Moore fans out there, you'll be pleased to know that he is one of the co-authors.

For those who don't know Patrick Moore - he has been a great English populiser of astronomy for many decades. He's also been the brunt of many jokes for allegedly being one of the most boring people on the planet. Then again, he wrote the book that became the Stanley Kubrick film classic 2001: A Space Odyssey.

I'm now wondering when Sting will get his PhD for environmental studies? Bob Dylan got an honorary one from Princeton a long time ago - I'm not sure if that counts. The mind boggles - what about Keith Richard from The Rolling Stones?

I read some articles in The Jakarta Post recently (yesterday), addressing e-Learning in Indonesia. (On-line universities, etc.) Also some criticisms of SBY, the current Indonesian president.
Like, when will the government increase expenditure for education by 20%, like it promised?

Yeah - blame holdups on tsunamis, earthquakes, mud volcano disasters and all the rest...

8)

G

Finally, I said that I couldn't see how anyone could be educated by this self-propagating system in which people pass exams, and teach others to pass exams, but nobody knows anything.

Richard Feynman
The economic outlook for Indonesia is inextricably tied in with the quality of education. Not everyone needs a university degree but people do need to benefit from a real education. Not one that necessarily gives them a qualification but instead what a education is supposed to give: the ability to learn. Learning how to learn is the only true value in an education.

How else are people able to make sense of the world around them? How can they study the environment in which they live and make sensible decisions? Improving the education system is certainly possible and money is not the primary limiting factor. Cuba proves that. It takes a sustained political will and a break from the culture of conformity.

BaliLife

Mar 27, 2007
allan i gree.. education's main purpose is to provide humans with the ability to learn..

ct